I Have Cut My Time in SL In Half

Telehub Ross

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2035 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

In my case, the screen goes black for a bit and the viewer (Firestorm or other) crashes to the desktop. Sometimes it takes Chrome with it. (Not sure there's anything special about Chrome; there may be, but it's the most certain other program to be running on my machine.)

At that point, I can re-launch a viewer and it will connect and usually rez-in and work normally for a few minutes before crashing again. A fresh boot will get me back to normal and things work fine for days at a stretch until I run more than one viewer at once, or Firestorm.

I may eventually take you up on sending the logs -- thanks for the offer! -- just in case it helps make the program more robust w.r.t. whatever ails my machine. At some point I'll bestir myself to either wipe disk and reinstall everything from scratch, or buy new hardware (which I've eschewed mostly to avoid reinstalling everything from scratch).

about the screen going black for a bit, then sometimes crash and sometimes not. Then go good for days and then not

i had this same issue with my then NVdia 660 GTX connected via HDMI cable, to my 1920x1080 screen. The cable also carried sound to the screen's speakers. Was super annoying. I ended up replacing the HDMI cable 3 times (from different makers) until I found a cable that worked. I also disabled the HDMI sound driver, and got a separate sound card and speakers. And then it all worked. Worked meaning no more or less than expected

in the end I think it was the HDMI sound that was killing me rather than the cable. But the 3rd cable worked when the others didn't so I just kept it

not sure if you got a 660GTX over HDMI but if so then maybe can try disabling the sound driver, and/or try different cables

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

While I don't crash to desktop often (maybe once every 6 months) simulator performance really has taken a huge nosedive recently.

There is also a bigger slowdown when you run more then one character on the same computer. Log in and use one for 6 hours, then log over to another and the time it takes to rez is substantial. In that time, orange fog and very slowly appearing mesh.

Someone who plays only one character won't see this weirdness.

It's subjectively much worse then 6 months ago.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, ellestones said:

not sure if you got a 660GTX over HDMI but if so then maybe can try disabling the sound driver, and/or try different cables

Interesting. I do have a 660 GTX and use an HDMI cable to my screens (one 1920x1200, the second 1920x1024), but sound is on a separate chip to speakers. I definitely could try different HDMI cables... although I'm thinking it may be something different because it only happens after specific SL viewers (Firestorm, or multiple copies of other viewers), and then makes those viewers crash until a reboot. Although I guess corruption is corruption, however it comes about, so... not a lot of effort in swapping some cables to try it out.

Thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

While I don't crash to desktop often (maybe once every 6 months) simulator performance really has taken a huge nosedive recently.

There is also a bigger slowdown when you run more then one character on the same computer. Log in and use one for 6 hours, then log over to another and the time it takes to rez is substantial. In that time, orange fog and very slowly appearing mesh.

Someone who plays only one character won't see this weirdness.

It's subjectively much worse then 6 months ago.

I don't understand why that would be. If you are logging on to avatars successfully, what would the system care or somehow "remember" the last one and make it worse? I think the only variable is your inventory. My main avatar is always going to load and perform worse than alts that have almost no inventory.

3 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

A number of my sculpts used to create plants and trees are rezzing in a distorted fashion. It's been happening for around a week.

Yes, I should have mentioned that I notice that, too. Yes, I have that thing moved to 4.125 that you do on "Advanced" or whatever. I find that it keeps dropping out and I have to keep coming back and upping it. But it's not helping anyway.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

fibre & that makes a massive difference in how quickly things rez.

I gave up my FiOS for a few months earlier this year. That was a huge mistake! I'm back with my previous ISP now and my FiOS is even better than ever!

You can have my FiOS when you pry my cold dead fingers from it. xD

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I don't understand why that would be. If you are logging on to avatars successfully, what would the system care or somehow "remember" the last one and make it worse? I think the only variable is your inventory. My main avatar is always going to load and perform worse than alts that have almost no inventory.

Cache I guess, but it's just a guess, so hmmm, wish I knew?

While you use another avatar for a long time, especially if it's in different regions, then your main's cached items ... skin, body and so on drop off, as do all the mesh and textures in the other regions. When you log back into the main all that needs to be reloaded.

Result orange cloud for ages.

Just a guess, it annoys me though.

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Yes, I should have mentioned that I notice that, too.

Same here. Nadine's sculpt trees appearing as a messy zigzag for me, or just invisible, or some branches there and some not.

Right click fixes it immediately, but this is new. Never used to do this.

Edited by Callum Meriman

Excuse my technological idiocy, but wasn't there a service years and years ago for SL on mobile devices that essentially did all of the hard processing for its users, and then streamed then easy-to-run video? I'm sure there are lots of problems that I don't know of, but might not something like that be a future solution?

I think it's not an unimportant issue, and not just for SL. I don't think the vast majority of people can afford a US$2000 computer, and most probably don't have access to fibre optic cable. I don't know what the data on this is (and I don't imagine even LL has more than a vague idea), but I'm pretty sure that SL users as a whole score rather higher on the economic/social/educational scale than our general populations.

It would be good to find a way to "democratize" the platform a bit, making it more affordable and hence more accessible to a wider range of people. (Which I'm quite sure is part of Prok's motivation here as well . . .)

56 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Excuse my technological idiocy, but wasn't there a service years and years ago for SL on mobile devices that essentially did all of the hard processing for its users, and then streamed then easy-to-run video? I'm sure there are lots of problems that I don't know of, but might not something like that be a future solution?

That's a trade between performance and data. It's not practical for someone with a data cap or slow connection (not to mention WiFi sgain).

But also having to log into your account on someone else's computer and them being able to monitor literally everything you do, including knowing everything you type, reading your nearby chat and IMs, and visually watching you. If you're comfortable with all of those downsides, more power to you.

You don't need anywhere near a $2k PC for SL, either.. Even $1k+ just for SL is wasteful. 

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

But also having to log into your account on someone else's computer and them being able to monitor literally everything you do, including knowing everything you type, reading your nearby chat and IMs, and visually watching you. If you're comfortable with all of those downsides, more power to you.

That's certainly a good point. Although, in theory, LL can do that now, no?

Thank you for this thread. I too am experiencing that little clock spinney no response experience, and then the dreaded crash... for about 2 months. It seems to be worse when Windows is pushing out updates and if I don't turn off my computer, which I'm very bad about doing on any regular basis. If I reboot my system it will run better however it will take forever for Firestorm to boot. One of the reasons I don't turn off my computer is it takes 10 minutes for Firestorm to come up. I assumed that there were some other issues, as I had heard there been some hacking attempts, but again I don't know if that's true or it's just gossip. It does take me forever to Rez and I've been spending a lot more time in the Linden sandbox just so I can see where I'm going. I've been patiently waiting for an improvement and hadn't thought to look at my own computer as a problem, but after reading all of this I might take some time to run some testing. I'm hard-wired with cable. TX for suggestions. 

10 hours ago, Faye Feldragonne said:

If I reboot my system it will run better however it will take forever for Firestorm to boot

How high is your cache set? I lowered mine down to 2048 and now FS (and other viewers I use) all startup real quick (and places actually seem to rez *faster* for me.) You know how it says "Verifying textures" or whatever when it's starting up? I'm pretty sure it's going through your cache files. If you have the size of that maxed out, it's going through ALL those files before showing you the login screen.

I'm not saying that is it, just saying: give it a try.

Edited by Alyona Su

10 hours ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

Since i made the step from a old computer with 1 GB RAM and Win XP to a new machine with Win7/10 and 16 GB, i dont have any crashes anymore.

@Resi Pfeffer I have 1.80 TB and Windows 10. That's not the issue.

@Alyona Su I have only 1024 cache and it's cleared. That's not the issue.

It's the Lindens' software.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The 1.8 TB would be the size of your hard drive, whereas Resi was referring to the computer memory / RAM.

That's nice, but I can't find it now and it doesn't matter. Because SL played only a few months ago, as indeed it did for the previous year.

Quick question: do you ever think there's anything wrong with Linden Lab's software? Or do you think it's only a problem that non-technical people have.

BTW I get this message all the time, perhaps that's relevant.

Error 21.png

5 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Quick question: do you ever think there's anything wrong with Linden Lab's software? Or do you think it's only a problem that non-technical people have.

I think there is all sorts of issues with the software, but at the same time, many issues are due to the computer setup and/or network connection.

You're using Windows 10 - of course it's an issue. Second Life is not the only program to have issues either. 

Oh hey, "network changed" - another clue for you. 

You expect software to "just work" - sorry, that's not how reality functions. Like it or not, every system is different and has its own quirks. 

Deal with it. 

2 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

That's nice, but I can't find it now and it doesn't matter. Because SL played only a few months ago, as indeed it did for the previous year.

BTW I get this message all the time, perhaps that's relevant.

Error 21.png

Here are some solutions for that error message:

https://windowsreport.com/network-change-detected-windows-10/

• Like 2

On 11/15/2018 at 1:34 AM, Luna Bliss said:

A number of my sculpts used to create plants and trees are rezzing in a distorted fashion. It's been happening for around a week.

Yesterday one of my sculpted hair flower did that, it rezzed in totally distorted shape. I even in couple of different regions to see was it one region problem. Well, it was the same thing in other regions too. However when I wore it today it rezzed in good shape.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2035 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.