Plum face

Garnet Psaltery

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2040 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Sorry for starting this guys by using the term "Prim Torture"

Art in the sky always fascinated me, and people experienced at trying known it only works with a few prim types. Garnet's valued eyes seeing snoopy in Plum allowed me to look, and the "unusually altered prim" is a 5:1 saving in the technique of using plain-old-boring-plywood-cubes.

I tried this in a region I have the other day, and sure enough up they came, and at what is a real low LI cost (another changed term, we used to use the word "prims" as a meter to land capacity, now we use LI - terms evolve)

My next plan... Put a picture of my face over a whole region so the whole map reading population of SL can admire the awesome Neko Ears Aii makes. I digress.

Imagemagik makes pixellated pictures from any photo

Running

convert -scale 10% -scale 1000% original.jpg pixelated.jpg

twice seems to create good art to use. What I need to do is write a PHP/Golang program to read the pixelated JPG and a script in world to grab the RGB values and place them on the array of prims.

Well, one day...

My List of ToDo's is about 5kM long and not getting any shorter.

A fun discussion in the derail yes, but thank Garnet for your observation!

I’ve used imagemagick! I bet a lot of “not free” tools are based on it.

Edited by Love Zhaoying

30 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

FFS how the heck is this argument still going on?  

furever.jpg.d436cd6e91bcc242a4e206fe1e0b5424.jpg

That's Tiger btw....and he's not nearly as antisocial as he looks here lol. He was busy knocking curriculum down and got yelled at ? 

Edited by Tari Landar
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dillon Levenque said:

Don't blame me for this; it's your fault for saying that word.

Now I have to tell you: until yesterday, my favorite Horror-comedy was “Murder By Death”. But yesterday, I finally found a movie I’ve searched for since Google- I saw previews when I was too young to watch it. The previews stuck in my head since 1973.  The full movie is on YouTube also. This is the trailer for “Arnold”, with an ensemble cast starring Roddy McDowell.

Edited by Love Zhaoying

There are too many posts aimed at me since I went to bed, so I'll just write a generic one now.

There are one or two people in this thread who seem to delight in keeping it going, just for the sake of it, when everything about torturing prims was settled ages ago. They have been using any silly little thing to keep it going, such as the word 'normal'. It quickly became very clear what was meant by it but that didn't stop the 'normal' part. So to hopefully finalise the 'torture' stupidity in thread, I'll try summarizing it again.

The word 'torture', when applied to a prim, caused the thread's length. Callum wrote it originally, and I explained what it originally meant. It turned out that I was mistaken in that it had 2 meanings back then, and I accepted that immediately. The main person who pointed out that it meant something different back then accepted that there were 2 uses of the phrase at that time. Neither of us had come across the useage that the other was familiar with.

And that was that. There was no longer any disagreement, so that's where the 'torture' discussion ended. Or that's where it should have ended. Everybody knew what everybody meant, and there was no disagreement. But at this point a couple of people jumped the shark and chose to continue it all the way downhill, not by bringing anything new, but by just continuing it in any way they possibly could. In some cases arguing about a word, when it was clear exactly what was meant by it, in other cases with regurgitations of things that were settled long before.

I think that sums it up quite well. It's not the first time I've summed it up like that. It didn't stop the argumentativeness then, so I don't know if will stop it now, but I see nothing to discussively argue about. There never was for most of the 'torture' part of the thread. Most of it has just been silly argumentativeness aimed at me personally for whatever reasons.

ETA: Just out of interest, I actually gave in about the word 'torture' as early as the 4th post in this thread. That was for the reason of language evolution. Very soon afterwards it was definitively shown that the 'other' meaning, with which I had not previously been familiar, had also been in use in SL's early times. It's beyond my comprehension why one or two people would want to continue that particular discussion to 7 pages of posts. (Actually, it's not beyond my comprehension in those cases)

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

As long as he keeps throwing jabs at me in response to other people's comments I will continue to post his response about why he keeps this thread going. 

lol. I wondered why you were doing that - quotes without comments. I did wonder if the first one was an attemot to end the thread. Then I assumed the second one was that, and it ended the thread for me. But others continued it, so I came back in. I don't keep the thread going. Or rather, I don't keep the 'torture' part of the thread going. In the latter stages, it's been others. I would have prefered that it stopped when the agreement occured pages ago, but others had different ideas.

There's only one thing that I've written that could conceivably be described as a jab, and it refers to another thread. I actually think that that's why you've been doing what you've been doing in this thread. I don't know if what I think about it is right or wrong, but it's what I think, because I can't think of any other reason why you would write many of the posts you've written here, when everything was settled pages ago.

Edited by Phil Deakins

On 9/13/2018 at 3:19 AM, Phil Deakins said:

Incidently, it's not uncommon for me to admit a mistake, so don't make a meal of it. And remember this, when 2 people have opposing opinions, both believe they are right. In some cases, both may well be right. It doesn't mean that you are right and the other person is therefore wrong. In this case, the fact that the word was used by some people back then to mean perfectly normal edits, doesn't mean that the phrase was orginally coined for that, or that that's what it generally meant. I know for certain that what was described as prim torturing back then was not perfectly normal edits. I'm inclined to think that the word was mistakenly used by some people for normal edits just because it sounds cool, and not because that's what it orginally meant. ("I've just been torturing some prims" - cool, huh?) That naturally resulted in what we have today, where torturing a prim simply means editing it to many people. I accept that that's what many people mean by the phrase, so the phrase has had a definition added to it, which is normal as language evolves, but I don't accept that that's what the phrase originally meant. The fact that you never knew about it doesn't make it untrue.

This statement is why I even continued in this thread. It had nothing to do with any previous encounters with you in other threads. You said this on page three long after you supposedly accepted that the term was also used for "normal" edits. You went on to say that we agreed and you didn't know why I was continuing to post, but this clearly shows we never agreed. My objection was that you kept implying that we had agreed and thereby putting words into my mouth. 

I'm posting this now because I want to refute your statement that I was out to get you because of your post about Xiola and Blueberry. 

• Like 2

I'd been vaguely tracking this thread until it exploded or I got distracted (or both), so this may have been thoroughly explored already, but:

Do we know the ideal size of a "pixel" for making the clearest, highest-resolution map image possible? I remember at one point playing with this in a totally unsystematic way and concluding that it was smaller than 4x4m, but I don't recall any further details.

If we went to one of the "map-illustrated" regions, are we confident that whatever resolution they're using is optimal?

48 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I'd been vaguely tracking this thread until it exploded or I got distracted (or both), so this may have been thoroughly explored already, but:

Do we know the ideal size of a "pixel" for making the clearest, highest-resolution map image possible? I remember at one point playing with this in a totally unsystematic way and concluding that it was smaller than 4x4m, but I don't recall any further details.

If we went to one of the "map-illustrated" regions, are we confident that whatever resolution they're using is optimal?

Sadly those numbers were not readable by me. :(

I was trying to do the math today myself, not my best subject. I did find though a imagemagic command to give a list of colour vectors. I'll post that when I get the whole grid built and scripted with a simple llRegionSay sort of colour setter.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I played with prim torturing. (:ph34r: Here's my baby. xD1 prim, only 1 LI. Right? Well, yes and no.

As it is shown in the picture it indeed is only 1 LI. Then I applied a texture which had alpha channel nothing happened yet, still 1 LI. Then I changed the texture to mask mode, mask cutoff 200. Bang, the single one prim became a real monster with 456 LI. ?

The same happens when applying materials to badly tortured prims. Prim torus doesn't need to be even tortured, just by adding materials causes the LI to jump up.
(Must be very careful when playing with these on your limited LI allowance parcel, I have had my mishaps few times. I'm afraid to keep that prim rezzed on my place, it might suddenly change its mind about the 1 LI.)

2018-10-08_tortured-prim.thumb.jpg.b0cf66f628304221c372a80bfb41fed6.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

I played with prim torturing. (:ph34r: Here's my baby. xD1 prim, only 1 LI. Right? Well, yes and no.

As it is shown in the picture it indeed is only 1 LI. Then I applied a texture which had alpha channel nothing happened yet, still 1 LI. Then I changed the texture to mask mode, mask cutoff 200. Bang, the single one prim became a real monster with 456 LI. ?

The same happens when applying materials to badly tortured prims. Prim torus doesn't need to be even tortured, just by adding materials causes the LI to jump up.
(Must be very careful when playing with these on your limited LI allowance parcel, I have had my mishaps few times. I'm afraid to keep that prim rezzed on my place, it might suddenly change its mind about the 1 LI.)

2018-10-08_tortured-prim.thumb.jpg.b0cf66f628304221c372a80bfb41fed6.jpg

Do you think this will get better when next the LI calculations are updated?

1 minute ago, Fionalein said:

It might as well skyrocket all tortured prims .... we will know when it's there...

One of my favorite items is a kinetic sculpture with tortured prims. It’s always been high “LI” (since I got it in maybe 2008-9). So, perhaps not really change.

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Do you think this will get better when next the LI calculations are updated?

Unlikely... The hike in the LI of proms when you apply materials to them was deliberate, using materials forces the prms to be treated like mesh...

As an example...

128 x 128 x 0.5 megaprim with a square hole in the middle, with 3 smaller floor slab prims to reduce the hole in size to an off-center stairwell, had an LI of... 4.

Putting materials on it, with normal and spec maps pushed the LI to 32.

A pet water bowl, consisting of several sliced cone prims (for the pet name), a sculpt (for the bowl) and a very short cylinder (for the water surface) had it's LI rocket by about 2200 when specular maps were added to make the metal bowl and the water shiny...

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2040 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.