Plum face

Garnet Psaltery

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2028 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

And of course, for anyone who didn't know how to torture a prim, from Ayumi Cassini's wonderful page on the technique

I give in :)

It used to be that torturing a prim meant changing it in ways that are not available for it in the edit box. Then the word started to be occasionally mistakenly used to mean changing it perfectly normally in the edit box, which is what the linked-to page is about. It uses the word 'twisting', not 'torturing'. Now I only ever see 'torturing' used to mean shaping it normally in the edit box. Accepting the fact that language evolves so that words change their meanings, or other meanings are added to them, I now accept that torturing a prim now also means simply shaping it in the normal way in the edit, especially as nobody tortures prims any more.

Edited by Phil Deakins

52 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

It used to be that torturing a prim meant changing it in ways that are not available for it in the edit box.

Did it really? And if so, what is that method of torturing prims by not using the build tool normally?

I have always thought that "tortured prim" = "twisted prim".

2 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

I give in :)

It used to be that torturing a prim meant changing it in ways that are not available for it in the edit box.

Ah don't give in Phil. Language is often used incorrectly by me, just as it often is by all.

I've always called it torturing prims, but then I'm not an über skilled Inhaltsersteller like you. As another example, I also more often then not call the 256x256 meter blocks of land in SL a region, while so many other residents call them sims.

Don't get twisted up too much about it. Just a word.

Sorry if I used the wrong one mate.

17 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Ah don't give in Phil. Language is often used incorrectly by me, just as it often is by all.

I've always called it torturing prims, but then I'm not an über skilled Inhaltsersteller like you. As another example, I also more often then not call the 256x256 meter blocks of land in SL a region, while so many other residents call them sims.

Don't get twisted up too much about it. Just a word.

Sorry if I used the wrong one mate.

Naa. I just thought I'd throw it in. The only use of the word 'torture' in relation to prims that I've seen in a very long time means what you meant by it. It's only old fogies who remember what it meant when it was originally used back in the days of yore. And it's only those old fogies who feel like mentioning it who post about it lol.

Region or sim, though. That's different. Many years ago, a Linden posted what he (or LL) meant by those words. IIRC, a 256x256 is a sim regardless. A region can be one sim or a group of sims. For instance Desmond Shang's sims are a region (I forget the name - oxbridge?), as are mainland continents, those multi-sim regions of Linden Homes, and the connected sims that make up the Eden region. A single, unconnected island is a sim and also a region. That's if I remember the post correctly. It doesn't matter though. I think we all understand what is meant by 'region' when it's used, and I don't think any of us take it to mean a group of sims unless the context is clear that that's what is meant.

Edited by Phil Deakins

25 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Naa. I just thought I'd throw it in. The only use of the word 'torture' in relation to prims that I've seen in a very long time means what you meant by it. It's only old fogies who remember what it meant when it was originally used back in the days of yore. And it's only those old fogies who feel like mentioning it who post about it lol.

Region or sim, though. That's different. Many years ago, a Linden posted what he (or LL) meant by those words. IIRC, a 256x256 is a sim regardless. A region can be one sim or a group of sims. For instance Desmond Shang's sims are a region (I forget the name - oxbridge?), as are mainland continents, those multi-sim regions of Linden Homes, and the connected sims that make up the Eden region. A single, unconnected island is a sim and also a region. That's if I remember the post correctly. It doesn't matter though. I think we all understand what is meant by 'region' when it's used, and I don't think any of us take it to mean a group of sims unless the context is clear that that's what is meant.

Tortured prims are common in certain types of kinetic sculpture. And, I believe jewelry. Not sure why you’re not aware. Maybe back when they were discussed more, you didn’t build much or follow special building techniques?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

Ah, but Rand Linden says, in this article,  under the heading Deprecated Terminology:-

As Second Life has matured, its terminology has changed as well. Take care to use the current words for concepts and items to avoid confusion and potential legal issues. [...] Use:

• "Region" instead of "sim" or "simulator" when referring to a single region.
  • "Sim host" instead of "sim" or "simulator" when referring to a server hosting regions.
Edited by Garnet Psaltery
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Ah, but Rand Linden says, in this article,  under the heading Deprecated Terminology:-

As Second Life has matured, its terminology has changed as well. Take care to use the current words for concepts and items to avoid confusion and potential legal issues. [...] Use:

• "Sim host" instead of "sim" or "simulator" when referring to a server hosting regions.

So..we’re supposed to know this and change the words we use? Goodness!

“But the plans were on display…”
“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”
“That’s the display department.”
“With a flashlight.”
“Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”
“So had the stairs.”
“But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”
“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.” 
 Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

42 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Tortured prims are common in certain types of kinetic sculpture. And, I believe jewelry. Not sure why you’re not aware. Maybe back when they were discussed more, you didn’t build much or follow special building techniques?

They still use the torturing technique? From what Myrmidon said, it sounds like they were superceded by changes in the edit box. I never even tried to do it back then, although I was more-or-less a full time builder-seller since early in 2007, but I never had any use for torturing prims. Perhaps it was a thing of the past by then. It rarely got mentioned in the sub-forum I used - RA.

15 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Fair enough. Time often changes the generally understood meaning of words. I always read 'region' as meaning 'sim', unless the context makes it clear that it doesn't just mean any old sim. Nevertheless, I don't think that the use of the word 'sim' will change in users' minds, because it's so very well established.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I've been making jewelry and torturing prims for a very, very long time. Regardless if you use a script to do the torturing or do it manually using the edit menu it IS still torturing.

In fact, here's an example of my torturing prims very recently.

1285519645_myprimwatch.png.a136fe953d00cc7a515f16ab97b9acb8.png

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

That's how I have understood it a for long time.
Region is 256 m x 256 m area inwold. This is what people often refer to as "sim".
Sim host (aka sim "sim" or "simulator") is indeed the server hosting either one 256 m x 256 m region or many 256 m x 256 m regions.

PS. The sim host is a new term for me. I've always referred to it as "simulator"; but anyway "sim host" is more accurate term. The server hosting the region or regions runs the SL world simulation.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I've been making jewelry and torturing prims for a very, very long time. Regardless if you use a script to do the torturing or do it manually using the edit menu it IS still torturing.

That's what is understood now, but the word 'torturing' was originally used for changing the shape of prims in ways that couldn't done in the edit box. Since then, the word has been used to mean simply changing the shape of prims by using the edit box. Initially, it was mistakenly used for that, because those who mistakenly used it didn't know about torturing prims, and just assumed that it meant changing their shapes.

1 minute ago, Phil Deakins said:

That's what is understood now, but the word 'torturing' was originally used for changing the shape of prims in ways that couldn't done in the edit box. Since then, the word has been used to mean simply changing the shape of prims by using the edit box. Initially, it was mistakenly used for that, because those who mistakenly used it didn't know about torturing prims, and just assumed that it meant changing their shapes.

You can't tell from the rez date of this account, but I've been around SL for 15 years. You can check the date of my main, Debi Baskerville. In all the time I've been in SL I've always known the term tortured to mean what I said previously.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2028 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.