Plum face

Garnet Psaltery

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2028 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, Clover Jinx said:

How can you not see a cat?

I see a really fun slide that probably ends tragically

It's pretty though :D

And to add to the thread...

I love torturing prims, I have always loved torturing them. For one, they don't fight back....ok, USUALLY, except that one time, when I tortured too many, and i crashed a sim(yes I have always and will always use this term wrong..don't care ? ), and then the sim threw up. It was totally unrelated, as sl was having, erm, "issues" at the time, but OMG I could not stop laughing at the idea that my torture techniques could cause land to literally throw up, I still laugh about it today, and that was 2008, lol.

I find odd thing extremely amusing. Then I get told to act my age...and my only response is..

41548490_2224626381150261_6203191364050485248_n.jpg.941c3cc89c73d18025e8db7842fbc776.jpg

Edited by Tari Landar
oh mylanta, typos...
  • Like 6

14 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

You can't tell from the rez date of this account, but I've been around SL for 15 years. You can check the date of my main, Debi Baskerville. In all the time I've been in SL I've always known the term tortured to mean what I said previously.

Debi Baskerville is a name (and a few times the avatar) I've seen several times, though mostly years ago. I'm glad to see more of the old-timers in the forums. (I'm not one ... I've only been in SL for 12 years.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tari Landar said:

I love torturing prims, I have always loved torturing them. For one, they don't fight back....ok, USUALLY, except that one time, when I tortured too many, and i crashed a sim(yes I have always and will always use this term wrong..don't care ? ), and then the sim threw up.

I was torturing one about 18 months ago, it was a cut and hollowed, tapering, torus based spring ... and a fair chunk of my home parcel at the time was returned when I linked it to some mesh that had a normal map.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Tari Landar said:

OMG I could not stop laughing at the idea that my torture techniques could cause land to literally throw up

That sounds like the land bug that @Qie Niangao stumbled on many years ago, where you could make the land shoot up into spikes hundreds of meters high.

He posted that he thought he'd broken the mainland, so I went over to see what he was on about. When I stepped onto a normal looking piece of land there, I was shot hundreds of meters into the sky - more than once. Maybe there was a spike that was ultra thin and hard to see, and my next step placed me on top of it. After that a number people, including me, played with spiking the land. It was all Qie's fault! :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

I don't think a script can do more than what is available in the edit box

That's no doubt true, but the edits that torturing did were available in the edit box but not for the particular basic prim shape that was being changed. That's what I read. I don't remember how it was done - script or basic shape change at a particular stage.

Anyway, I accept that the word 'torture' has been used for perfectly normal edits from before my time. It's only that I'd read something different early on in my time.

Incidently, it's not uncommon for me to admit a mistake, so don't make a meal of it. And remember this, when 2 people have opposing opinions, both believe they are right. In some cases, both may well be right. It doesn't mean that you are right and the other person is therefore wrong. In this case, the fact that the word was used by some people back then to mean perfectly normal edits, doesn't mean that the phrase was orginally coined for that, or that that's what it generally meant. I know for certain that what was described as prim torturing back then was not perfectly normal edits. I'm inclined to think that the word was mistakenly used by some people for normal edits just because it sounds cool, and not because that's what it orginally meant. ("I've just been torturing some prims" - cool, huh?) That naturally resulted in what we have today, where torturing a prim simply means editing it to many people. I accept that that's what many people mean by the phrase, so the phrase has had a definition added to it, which is normal as language evolves, but I don't accept that that's what the phrase originally meant. The fact that you never knew about it doesn't make it untrue.

Edited by Phil Deakins

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

That sounds like the land bug that @Qie Niangao stumbled on many years ago, where you could make the land shoot up into spikes hundreds of meters high.

He posted that he thought he'd broken the mainland, so I went over to see what he was on about. When I stepped onto a normal looking piece of land there, I was shot hundreds of meters into the sky - more than once. Maybe there was a spike that was ultra thin and hard to see, and my next step placed me on top of it. After that a number people, including me, played with spiking the land. It was all Qie's fault! :)

Lmao, while hilarious in its own right, nope, it wasn't quite like that, lol.

This was during a period of time when the grid, or a large portion of it anyway, seemed to be having some serious growing pains, or...I dunno...pains, lol. After the sim had crashed(which I was still laughing about when it finally came back on), my friends and I managed getting back in and EVERY OBJECT on the sim(save some furniture and plants that had gotten returned thanks to my brilliant idea to start torturing prims for the hell of it because..weeee this looks fun) was literally up in the air. When I said threw up, I literally meant, threw everything upwards, haha. It was both frustrating and had me in such a fit of laughter I couldn't stay on mic, because I could barely breathe. We had to go through and either pick stuff up and re-rez it, or just drag it all back down. This being the vast majority of a sim's worth of stuff made for an interesting couple of days. It's not even like everything went to the same height either. I think it took us a couple of weeks to really find everything, not realizing things were still missing, of course. While some items had actually been moved to other parts of the sim(I love you mr. trash dump 0.0.0), most things were simply raised up, just in different height increments. Things that had multiple "parts" were spread out at different heights too, like furniture sets, decor and whatever it was sitting on, etc. Things I had been working on building(and since I was still very new to this, not everything was quite linked just yet, because I'm an odd tinker-er) were scattered, so you might find an odd plywood rail here, a flat blue prim there, a red dowel here, green button there...it was a mess. I can honestly say while I laugh a lot, because my sense of humor is pretty odd and, well, I like laughing...that was one experience that I don't think has ever been matched in laughter in all my years of being in sl. 

Well it's either laugh, or get mad..and getting mad gives me headaches.

I'm pretty sure at least a couple of people helping to fix whatever was going on weren't nearly as amused as I was. While the whole ordeal was beyond hilarious to me, even the mere thought(wrong as it was) that my prim torturing caused it, just put me over the edge. In fact, one of my friends flat out said "That's it Tari, NO more building for you!!!". I think it was about a week later when we realized it wasn't actually my work that did it, because it happened again but on a very small scale-as in, just a few items here and there. By then we'd also heard of it happening on other sims. 

Doesn't change how funny it was.

Incidentally, this also happened some time later, but was also totally unrelated...and we still managed(again, wrongly, but it makes it funnier to do so) to blame it on my torturing skills..or lack thereof..I tortured the sim so much, I bruised it!! (not really, please no one think I actually did..it was a random oddity no one ever did explain and it went away after a couple of days-those aren't shadow prims or a graphical issue-as everyone saw it, btw, lol)

1498355874_Snapshot_MadnessRadioIslandInodis(13718521).png.279319e5e0fd7275154f0d1325a5beee.png

3 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

That's no doubt true, but the edits that torturing did were available in the edit box but not for the particular basic prim shape that was being changed. That's what I read. I don't remember how it was done - script or basic shape change at a particular stage.

Anyway, I accept that the word 'torture' has been used for perfectly normal edits from before my time. It's only that I'd read something different early on in my time.

Incidently, it's not uncommon for me to admit a mistake, so don't make a meal of it. And remember this, when 2 people have opposing opinions, both believe they are right. In some cases, both may well be right. It doesn't mean that you are right and the other person is therefore wrong. In this case, the fact that the word was used by some people back then to mean perfectly normal edits, doesn't mean that the phrase was orginally coined for that, or that that's what it generally meant. I know for certain that what was described as prim torturing back then was not perfectly normal edits. I'm inclined to think that the word was mistakenly used by some people for normal edits just because it sounds cool, and not because that's what it orginally meant. ("I've just been torturing some prims" - cool, huh?) That naturally resulted in what we have today, where torturing a prim simply means editing it to many people. I accept that that's what many people mean by the phrase, so the phrase has had a definition added to it, which is normal as language evolves, but I don't accept that that's what the phrase originally meant. The fact that you never knew about it doesn't make it untrue.

While erasing scribbles on calendar murmurs to self, "I knew it couldn't be true, oh well."

1 hour ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Let me guess -- it's a mostly hollow twisted sphere with path cut and dimple.

The fun thing about sphere prims is that you can twist them inside-out so you can see into them but not out. Halfway they tend to curve mostly on one side. 

I don't know what the starting shape was, or what I did with it. I was just mucking about with a prim, probably trying to produce something I had in mind, and that's what it turned out like.

Edited by Phil Deakins

10 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

While erasing scribbles on calendar murmurs to self, "I knew it couldn't be true, oh well."

You thought because you imagined that what you said is correct, when it's only partially correct. We all think that way, but some of us don't have the sort of ego that imagines we're always right, therefore the other person must be wrong ;)

Edited by Phil Deakins

I suppose you've forgotten what I already said on page 2:

"One thing I've learned in SL over the years. Terms get misused or mean different things to different people. We don't have a glossary to go by. So who knows what the correct usage is? I don't think anyone does. We can only go by our experience. As a creator of prim jewelry I know other jewelers and myself always used the term as I defined it. "

Several of us have provided evidence of how the term has been used in SL for years. You've not provided one shred of evidence to back your claim. I wasn't dug in on my take on the word until after seeing others show evidence of the term. I then went looking for myself to see what I could find. And everything I've found supports what we've been saying. 

Peace out Phil. I'm going to do my best to not engage you again in the forums.

30 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

You thought because you imagined that what you said is correct, when it's only partially correct. We all think that way, but some of us don't have the sort of ego that imagines we're always right, therefore the other person must be wrong ;)

You are also only partially incorrect. This is fun!

• Haha 1

Yes I did provide evience. I said that I'd read it years ago. It was in a forum post. Witnesses are usually considered to be evidence. You've also had evidence by someone else on the first page

All you've provided is something to back up my statement, that some people considered, and consider, that simple edits to prims are called torturing prims. That's true, but not everyone used the phrase to mean that. Some people used it to mean something different. What you can't do is claim that the only use of the phrase was always to mean simple normal edits to prims. You see? Both are partially true.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2028 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.