premium members get double land allotment, tier prices sliced

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2226 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know this is not what land barons and estate holders WANT to hear... but SL as a whole will be a LOT healthier if people 'reclaim' mainland.

Mainland presents a large unified world experience. It is better for SL is estates are left to the large actors with the resources to likewise make their estates into unified 'themed' experiences.

(unfortunately that doesn't address the issue that the largest estate holder holds a massive quanitity of unthemed estates that are rented out after often being sliced in horrible cuts with no connected theme and no management to step in and care about laggy builds dragging neighbors down... A certain massive estate company is actually selling a product less cared for than the Lindens do for Mainland.)

I would say the same thing about mainland land barons - but I don't see how they can easily policy push this. Good for SL would be to push the land baron that does those red hearts "out of business" and prop UP land barons like... shocking to some here, Prok - that give unified themes.

Encouraging people to go premium is just good for SL in many ways. We as residents come 'back together' if we're residing together. And the funding for SL is more stable if it's being funded by a lot of 'small sources' rather than a few big ones. This I suspect is why so much of the push over the last decade has been towards marketplace. I suspect a large portion of their revenue is now driven by people buying $L to spend on Marketplace rather than by land holdings. But pushing the land holding side of that towards 'small holders' with premium accounts only helps make it healthier.

SL can afford to lose a few thousand premium accounts - and the more it has the more it can handle that loss. But one or two of the massive land barons leaving SL could put ALL of us into "Blue Mars / Cloud Party" territory...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sedonajane Silverpath said:

Since group owned land does not get this discount, how do I change my group owned land to being owned just by me?  Can that be done?

Not sure what you mean. ALL tier is getting cut, whether the tier is applied to a group or whether it is applied directly to land that you own outside of a group.

Before this change, any tier that you either used directly or donated over the first 512 sqm incurred a monthly charge.  Now it is only tier used or donated over 1024 sqm.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, sedonajane Silverpath said:

Since group owned land does not get this discount, how do I change my group owned land to being owned just by me?  Can that be done?

If you are referring to comments made shortly after the changes were implemented, where it seemed like there were differences with group land, those issues were resolved later that same day. 

There is no difference in how the new tier rates are applied between group-owned or single owner land.   

• Thanks 1

On 3/16/2018 at 3:20 PM, Prokofy Neva said:

it only becomes lower the next month if you set it down again.

I can confirm that this is the current case now. If it went back down to what you actually owned in a month for awhile as reported, that is no longer the case. 

It was always the case, Chic. It hasn't changed.

I learned it the hard way a long time ago, when a friend wanted to swap 512 parcels, but we were both at our tier level limits. I was the one who bought first and, even though I was only over my limit for a matter of seconds, I had to pay the next level up for that month. And I was doing someone a favour by swapping!

Edited by Phil Deakins

I'm one of the "On the fence" types, after the tier cuts, I'm quite tempted to pony up for a year of premium.

Yet reading these forums brings so much confusion I'm not so sure it's a very wise move, people who've been playing with tier for a decade still don't understand tier, most of the info I can find is either very very old, so overly convoluted I can't make it through the x-many pages of bullet points written in legalese or Outright wrong.

The premise of the tier cut is great, but I'm still left at the whim of some random who has stuck an unfeasible pricetag on the rotting dead plots?.

Then there's the horror stories of people accidentally bumping up a tier level and I kinda want to run for the hills.

Being in Australia I'm paying more by default due to exchange rates, and it kinda seems like I'm paying for something I can't access without months of land hunting, and saving up to buy the land I find, just to use the tier I was encouraged to get premium for?.

I'd also maybe have to wait if getting a Linden home just for the theme I want to cycle in, then I can't pick the no mod home preplaced in the plot that llFrand() puts me in.

I've very little use for the extra group slots.

I've no use at all for premium sandboxes, and am not interested in premium only sims and events.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but I've no idea what anymore... I just wanted somewhere to rez a prim, but it seems like an awful lot of hassle when I can just rent in world.:(

2 minutes ago, Ipecac Burnham said:

I'm sure I'm missing something, but I've no idea what anymore... I just wanted somewhere to rez a prim, but it seems like an awful lot of hassle when I can just rent in world.:(

You are likely not missing anything. It can be easier, cheaper and give far more flexibility to rent.

For example there are a lot of places on Nautilus (double prim) for 590 lindens a week (AU$3.24), and that's for 730 odd prims.

Certainly cheaper than paying 10K or so for mainland, that will lock you in and force you to pay AU$14.20 a month or AU$101 a year upfront.

10 minutes ago, Ipecac Burnham said:

Then there's the horror stories of people accidentally bumping up a tier level and I kinda want to run for the hills.

Land ownership isn't for everyone, but this part has acquired some unearned mythology. It's really not easy to bump up a tier level accidentally because the system will not allow you to push beyond your setting on https://secondlife.com/my/account/landfees.php without agreeing to a dialog that warns you that you're about to increase that setting.

Arguably, there are so many warning dialogs that folks may not read them anymore, but this one is pretty explicit that you're about to do something that will increase your monthly payments. Also, folks don't always go back and shrink their setting when they've intentionally tiered-down, and if they dont do that they won't get that warning as long as they're within that old tier "high water mark"; that may contribute to the myth. But it's not as if there's a sneaky trap set for tricking folks into accidentally paying more tier.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Also, folks don't always go back and shrink their setting when they've intentionally tiered-down, and if they dont do that they won't get that warning as long as they're within that old tier "high water mark"; that may contribute to the myth. But it's not as if there's a sneaky trap set for tricking folks into accidentally paying more tier.

I did that not long ago, and it continued for several months before I realised that I was paying for something I wasn't getting.

1 minute ago, Alwin Alcott said:

everybody  who doesn't have the USD as currency has that... i don't see why it would be a special situation for aussies.

There was never mention of, or wanting for special circumstance, however at 100~bucks a year for something I'm not sure I can even use within the first few months seems very counter productive.

1 minute ago, Ipecac Burnham said:

There was never mention of, or wanting for special circumstance, however at 100~bucks a year for something I'm not sure I can even use within the first few months seems very counter productive.

what you can't use? your premium starts instantly. AND you can use it instantly...

Just now, Alwin Alcott said:

what you can't use? your premium starts instantly. AND you can use it instantly...

If I pony up even more for the land, or if I am lucky enough to have a theme I'd like active in the Linden home choices.

The groups aren't a benefit to me.

The sandboxes aren't a benefit to me.

getting into locked down sims faster than some poor guy or girl on a basic, isn't appealing to me.

So no, The feature I'd want from premium is not readily available to me, and I can not use it instantly unless I pay even more.

If I pony up even more for the land, or if I am lucky enough to have a theme I'd like active in the Linden home choices.

thats at most a few days, and in the meanwhile you can use ANY linden home thats available.

getting into locked down sims faster than some poor guy or girl on a basic, isn't appealing to me.

what locked down sims?

22 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I did that not long ago, and it continued for several months before I realised that I was paying for something I wasn't getting.

That's another source of confusion. It's been reported enough times that I suspect that there was a bug, at least at one time, but what they claim is supposed to happen is that billing doesn't depend on that setting directly, only on the maximum amount of land owned in the past 30 days. What makes this inherently confusing is how very long it may take for an effective tier change to propagate to a credit card statement. If I tiered down today, it wouldn't affect what was charged to my credit card for up to 59 days (if I were so unlucky as to tier down the day after my billing date), and then up to a month further before I saw a credit card statement (if my SL billing date were just ahead of my credit card billing cycle). And then my credit card statement may not arrive on the closing date for charges, so all told, it can be a full calendar quarter between a tier change and my seeing its effect on a credit card statement.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

thats at most a few days, and in the meanwhile you can use ANY linden home thats available.

what locked down sims?

While in part true, I'm not paying 100 dollars a year for a nomod box I can't retexture, that may not even be furnishable due to shape and size (some are round... no ty).

Meaning I'd also be stuck playing "House lotto" 5 times a day until I get a plot that is useable.

Yet if said plot is in a theme that is entirely unappealing to me?

I'm actively doing myself a disservice by settling for something that makes me kinda unhappy about what I got.

As for what sims are locked down?

Try get into Kustom9 on open day.

Try get into Colabor88.

There's more events out there than I can list, and me getting in to those faster than ANYONE else, would me me feel kinda bad about making someone else, who used to be in my shoes even more frustrated than I when they can't get in for days, maybe weeks..

Edited by Ipecac Burnham
Spelling

W...............................

I'm really sorry, but you come and start you'r tempted to get premium

1 hour ago, Ipecac Burnham said:

I'm quite tempted to pony up for a year of premium.

and then you start a load of totally unnfounded underbelly reasons why you don't ....  impossible to talk with.. good luck.

1 minute ago, Alwin Alcott said:

I'm really sorry, but you come and start you'r tempted to get premium

and then you start a load of totally unnfounded underbelly reasons why you don't ....  impossible to talk with.. good luck.

Oh hardly, I'm expressing concern based on what I see from you, Residents.

You might be okay with throwing away money, some of us aren't.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Ipecac Burnham said:

I'm actively doing myself a disservice by settling for something that makes me kinda unhappy about what I got.

Yeah, but in the long run, that's true of any Linden Home. Eventually you'll want something else. But of course you don't have to own a Linden Home with a Premium membership, and there's a lot to be said for instead spending the full 1024 sq.m. on a regular Mainland parcel -- although such a parcel does need to be found and purchased, rather than simply theme-selected like a Linden Home. 

Not to rehash the pros and cons of Linden Homes, but one observation: the Linden Home comes with an in-theme prefab that doesn't count against the parcel's Land Impact -- but Linden Homes cannot be group-owned, so they don't get the 10% group bonus. In contrast, the 1024 Premium tier allotment can support 1120 sq.m. of group-owned land; that extra 10% group bonus doesn't increase Land Impact capacity quite enough to offset a whole prefab, but it sure helps.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ipecac Burnham said:

I'm expressing concern based on what I see from you, Residents.

"you residents" ??

the things you mention are not even found by a new player thats around for two days... you have simply no clue after all the time you'r here where SL is about.

5 minutes ago, Ipecac Burnham said:

you might be okay with throwing away money, some of us aren't.

Sl costs on yearly based subscription , hardly ONE DOLLAR a month. Yes that's really throwing money away.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

"you residents" ??

the things you mention are not even found by a new player thats around for two days... you have simply no clue after all the time you'r here where SL is about.

Sl costs on yearly based subscription , hardly ONE DOLLAR a month. Yes that's really throwing money away.

If you believe that, then do by all means stop replying.

The L's you're being given for having premium are entirely factored into your purchase, they are not free, they are not a refund, they are part of the service you are paying for.

I've also not stated at any point that $L's are an incentive for me.

• Confused 1

by all means stop replying.

yes i think you should... you'r making no sence at all

The L's you're being given for having premium are entirely factored into your purchase, they are not free, they are not a refund, they are part of the service you are paying for.

annual is 72 usd and you get back 52* 300 = 15600 ... at the exchange you get +/- 60 dollars back for that  72-60 = 12 nett payment a year... thats not rocket science.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2226 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.