premium members get double land allotment, tier prices sliced

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2219 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Ipecac Burnham said:

No, you paid for it.

You can chose to cash it out if you wish, but you are still paying for it.

Sure, but if you paid it for the stipend, then that's money you're not paying for the land. If you have no use for the stipend L$s -- some folks don't spend much in-world at all -- then it's some hassle to sell off those L$s on the Lindex. (You don't necessarily need to cash out the stipends, though, because any US$ balance will offset other charges, such as a Premium subscription fee, before charging other payment sources.)

• Like 2

Beats me why people are trying to convince others to do things they clearly don't want to do.

This whole "save your L$300 stipend and only pay AU$18 a year" mess isn't for everyone, I'd hazard a guess it's something many people would find they can't do, I know I couldn't. L$300 appears in one's account and unless you are religiously stowing it away on an alt to sell just before premium time... you will so easily lose track of it.

Then of course, without religiously stowing away your L$15.600 and selling it just in time, that AU$101 charge hits home at the end of the year and you do have to wonder for what? For a Linden Home? For some prime granite? For some people rental is a better option - and that is something that is their right to choose.

Stop playing for other people Alwin, let them decide. Advise, most certainly, but if someone is clearly thinking premium isn't for them, if the benefits are not there for them and the punishing exchange rates and currency conversion fees tip the balance away from premium being a good choice, who the heck are you to try to tell them they are wrong?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Beats me why people are trying to convince others to do things they clearly don't want to do.

This whole "save your L$300 stipend and only pay AU$18 a year" mess isn't for everyone, I'd hazard a guess it's something many people would find they can't do, I know I couldn't. L$300 appears in one's account and unless you are religiously stowing it away on an alt to sell just before premium time... you will so easily lose track of it.

Then of course, without religiously stowing away your L$15.600 and selling it just in time, that AU$101 charge hits home at the end of the year and you do have to wonder for what? For a Linden Home? For some prime granite? For some people rental is a better option - and that is something that is their right to choose.

Stop playing for other people Alwin, let them decide. Advise, most certainly, but if someone is clearly thinking premium isn't for them, if the benefits are not there for them and the punishing exchange rates and currency conversion fees tip the balance away from premium being a good choice, who the heck are you to try to tell them they are wrong?

Anyone has the right to make a legal decision; however, if the arguments they're using aren't based in fact than you can say that their arguments are wrong.

Just now, Alwin Alcott said:

and who are you to tell me not to respond to somebody who has a total misunderstanding how the costs of land/premium are?

you'r defending somebody who keeps telling that land and premium stipends have no value ... it's simply not true, and yes i can agree with you it's a choice, but that doesn't eliminate the value, it only changes the way how it's spend.

You can use the 60 dollars for your premium, or you spend it inworld at clothes, it's still 60 dollars.

Whoop-de-do. You pay AU$101 to the lab, you get AU$83 back to spend - the rest of it - the AU$18 one gives the lab... for what? And that's the point you seem to have missed. If there is no other benefit, one is not getting AU$83 cash for free, one is spending AU$18, they don't need to.

For some people there just won't be any benefit for premium. They dont need red carpet event entry, they don't need 90 days account history, they don't need extra groups, they don't need experiences, and they don't need 1024M2 of prime granite. For those people this AU$83 cash stipend is a moot point, they need to spend $101 to get it - and that's a loss.

Some people are better off paying the AU$101 towards a nice rental.

It's their choice Alwin, stop playing their game for them. If there is no benefit in Premium for a certain person, then there is no benefit in premium in them, and all the lipstick you paint on that pig wont make it fly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

and who are you to tell me not to respond to somebody who has a total misunderstanding how the costs of land/premium are?

you'r defending somebody who keeps telling that land and premium stipends have no value ... it's simply not true, and yes i can agree with you it's a choice, but that doesn't eliminate the value, it only changes the way how it's spend.

You can use the 60 dollars for your premium, or you spend it inworld at clothes, it's still 60 dollars.

No, it isn't.

It's 15.600 Linden dollars with a USD value.

That you paid to receive when you signed up, that you are entitled to because you spent money on it as a product, this isn't anything new, companies have been doing it since companies have been companies... it also wasn't brought into question.

I'm a customer of 3 other MMO's, I don't get paid by them for purchasing a service, and I don't believe for a darn second LL are giving anyone "Free money" unless we're to count the horde of alt trains in Paleoquest.

This however wasn't brought into question, I want to pay 100 bucks of my money, for access to land, sadly after today discussion I'm perhaps better off investing that into the land barons and potentially hurting all of us in the process, rather than supporting the company who has let me be here for a decade.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

That's another source of confusion.

I need to make a correction to what I wrote that you replied to. If my memory is correct, it wasn't specifically that I hadn't clicked a lower tier option - I hadn't or I would have noticed that something was amiss. It was because I hadn't removed some tier donation to my group. That's an even more obscure mistake to make when tiering down than the one you mentioned, so they are both worth mentioning whenever the subject comes up.

To all:

A group does not need to own land for tier costs to be charged. If tier is donated, and if the donations are above the donators' tier-free allocations, then it has to be paid for, whether or not it's supporting any land ownership.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Alwin Alcott said:

and it has the same solid value in AUD if you don't transfer it back to rl.

EVERYBODY has the same exchange fees in SL, not the transfer fees, however those are also the same..... you still whine and compare the wrong things in this matter.

If you don't want to become premium, simply don't, but you give invalid reasons.

Fact is it;s a dollar a month.

You're confusing Fact for potential.

It is POTENTIALLY 1 dollar a month, IF I am taking L's in the form of USD out of the grid.

What if I am not comfortable with draining the grid I am so fond of?

What if I want my L's to be spent inworld, to support the guys and girls making me look Awesome?

Edited by Ipecac Burnham
spelling
  • Like 1

Just now, Alwin Alcott said:

thats your choice, but doesn't take away the value of the stipends, you still get a 60 dollars value directly back from the 72.

As you're not getting it, a Linden dollar, has no value, untill it is either sold, or used to buy a product, to someone who WILL sell it.

Technically, it's not even a currency, it's a virtual token that we, the users have a stake in, thus we the users, find value in.

" Linden Dollars have no monetary value and are not redeemable for monetary value from Linden Lab "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Second_Life

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ipecac Burnham said:

This however wasn't brought into question, I want to pay 100 bucks of my money, for access to land, sadly after today discussion I'm perhaps better off investing that into the land barons and potentially hurting all of us in the process, rather than supporting the company who has let me be here for a decade.

But it all comes out in the wash, as they say: Land barons end up giving the Lab a huge share of any rent they take in.

(Some of us pay the Lab more than 100% of the rent we charge for a parcel. This, however, is not taught in baron business school. :$)

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

To all:

A group does not need to own land for tier costs to be charged. If tier is donated, and if the donations are above the donators' tier-free allocations, then it has to be paid for, whether or not it's supporting any land ownership.

Yeah, this is something that many do not know / understand / realize.  The money you pay for tier is for "your" use of tier and that use is defined by either applying it to land that you own directly or by donating it to a group, whether actually used by said group or not.

I do think that there are many aspects of land ownership and tier usage that LL needs to make more clear and they need to put that info out there in a much more "in your face" way to help minimize mistakes around it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree that the group land thing is SO VERY CONFUSING. Some folks use groups all the time and buy and sell land often, and for THEM it probably seem obvious and easy :D, but navigating the waters of group land, tier donation, reducing tier and even HOW TO BUY FOR GROUP (which I had to write about but finally figured out for myself) is daunting -- and not just for new folks. 

There IS clear info on much of the group land miasma but I haven't actually seen any on the changing your tier back down part. It may be there somewhere.  LONG ago, that wasn't a problem as you simply paid what you USED the month before. Then many years ago (seven maybe - a real guess) the "set your tier" method was instated. I am sure The Lab has made LOTS of money off of this system as it is EXTREMELY confusing. 

The other thing that is not mentioned often is that the land payment date is from the FIRST time you bought land. At least this is how it used to work. So a friend had a 512 for awhile, then dropped the premium, then added it back in a couple of years later. Even after calling up and talking to billing (this was long ago LOL) he ended up paying tier for his new and bigger plot FROM THE DATE OF HIS FIRST LAND PURCHASE.  This meant (again this was a few years ago) that he paid for a whole month's tier even though he had only used it for a few days. That could be VERY expensive depending on the size of the lot. What was worse was that he had asked that exact question to billing and got an incorrect answer. 

I don't know how you find out when your tier date is --- if you haven't been paying tier for awhile.  Maybe some more savvy land person here does. 

10 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I don't know how you find out when your tier date is --- if you haven't been paying tier for awhile.  Maybe some more savvy land person here does. 

Your tier billing date will show at the bottom of you Account Summary date - even if you have never actually been billed for tier.  Three of my alts have never paid for tier - they simply donate to the group.   My guess is that if you've never been billed, the date is set based on your first usage/donation of the tier.

Also, you will always pay for an entire month even if you only used the tier for a single second.  And you won't pay until the end of the monthly billing cycle.  So if you've never used tier and then you use some on Jan 15 for one second, your billing date becomes the 15th and your first bill is Feb 15th for the preceeding month of Jan 15 through Feb 14.  If you then don't use any tier for six months and then use it again for a single second, you will be charged at the end of whatever billing month that usage falls into.  If you use tier momentarily on the 14th of a month, you'd be billed for an entire month of usage on the 15th. If you use it momentarily on the 16th, you'll be billed on the 15th of the following month.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2219 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.