premium members get double land allotment, tier prices sliced

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2219 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 minutes ago, AlexandriteGem said:

Guess that one flew over my head then. Does not encourage me to leave my Linden home and pay more elsewhere.. Odd motivation intent...

How is that odd?

There is a LOT of unsold mainland out there. Now people can get twice as much of it as before, for the same basic premium price - and a tier bump up is cheaper. Add to this that the Linden Homes are made using a lot of older, less optimized features like sculpties on the sims, and don't do much to encourage people to wander out and 'do things with others'.

The cost of getting a 1024 piece of land... is tiny... I myself sold several of them a few months ago, several for as little as 3,000L. I wanted to tier down - so I sliced up some waterfront land I had and sold it off.

- such land is all over SL.

It's much better for SL to get people filling in all of that land again. The grid will just look and feel healthier. The Linden Home system was counter productive to the overall grid. Premium users were 'suburbanized' - and away from the 'action'.

You won't pay more... you will just buy a plot one time, if you so choose. And if not... you're just sitting on 512m of unused tier because you think spending $5-10 US is "too much"... and that is odd thinking...

11 minutes ago, AlexandriteGem said:

Guess that one flew over my head then. Does not encourage me to leave my Linden home and pay more elsewhere.. Odd motivation intent...

How is that odd?

There is a LOT of unsold mainland out there. Now people can get twice as much of it as before, for the same basic premium price - and a tier bump up is cheaper. Add to this that the Linden Homes are made using a lot of older, less optimized features like sculpties on the sims, and don't do much to encourage people to wander out and 'do things with others'.

The cost of getting a 1024 piece of land... is tiny... I myself sold several of them a few months ago, several for as little as 3,000L. I wanted to tier down - so I sliced up some waterfront land I had and sold it off.

- such land is all over SL.

It's much better for SL to get people filling in all of that land again. The grid will just look and feel healthier. The Linden Home system was counter productive to the overall grid. Premium users were 'suburbanized' - and away from the 'action'.

You won't pay more... you will just buy a plot one time, if you so choose. And if not... you're just sitting on 512m of unused tier because you think spending $5-10 US is "too much"... and that is odd thinking...

8 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

you don't have to pay more ... where you get that from?

The mainland never been free to buy, and the Linden Homes were only released to have a taste of owning mainland, and when getting used to it, and want to make your real own home, move out..... . No odd motivation anywhere.

When you make the choice to stay at the Linden Home, by your choice you go pay relatively more by letting slip the extra 512 sqm.

Been in a lot of parcels and rented out a lot of set ups in three years as a member.  For my needs, a Linden home works out just fine or better without lag or landlord issues. And more affordable too.

I choose to keep it

Edited by AlexandriteGem

20 minutes ago, AlexandriteGem said:

Been in a lot of parcels and rented out a lot of set ups in three years as a member.  For my needs, a Linden home works out just fine or better without lag or landlord issues. And more affordable too.

I choose to keep it

Gonna join in the conversation, not saying you have to move out if you are content with your Linden Home, but as of now you get more out of your premium membership by getting a mainland land, so I don't get why you said Linden Home is more affordable :D (except you meant it's more expensive because of the upfront cost of buying a 1024m2 land, but still in the long run you get more out of your mainland land)

There shouldn't be a landlord issue too since you will own the land in mainland with your premium allotment, not sure why you said there would.

1 hour ago, Rya Nitely said:

My only concern is that the next step in this plan may be to decrease the weekly stipend.

I doubt it. It took me years to come to this conclusion, but I'm now convinced that the Premium membership model is mostly a way to monetize the L$ in the form of a subscription for weekly stipends. It seems almost an historical accident that it also confers the ability to own Mainland. (Granted, most Premium members subscribe because there's no other way to own Mainland, but I don't think that's the Lab's main business reason for the program.)

The stipend is a "source" of L$s that competes with sale of L$s on the Lindex minted to manage the exchange rate, and that way of selling game tokens generates US$ income for the Lab just as Premium subscriptions do, so in theory LL could reduce stipends if they thought it would increase Lindex sales (demand displaced from the previous stipend supply), but I think it's far too risky. Any stipend scale-back would lose Premium members some of whom may never buy L$s any other way.

46 minutes ago, lucagrabacr said:

Gonna join in the conversation, not saying you have to move out if you are content with your Linden Home, but as of now you get more out of your premium membership by getting a mainland land, so I don't get why you said Linden Home is more affordable :D (except you meant it's more expensive because of the upfront cost of buying a 1024m2 land, but still in the long run you get more out of your mainland land)

There shouldn't be a landlord issue too since you will own the land in mainland with your premium allotment, not sure why you said there would.

I have been kicked out of two places with landlords reputed to be problematic. That is no surprise, but it is frustrating to not be able to recover your money when LL turns a blind eye. I have stayed in skyboxes, homesteads, lived up in the sky, down and terraformed...you name it.

For my needs, an LL home works out great. Have tried them all before in my three years as a member, believe me. I take advantage of the extra benefits that the premium account offers and I feel that I save more money. 

A matter of taste and preferences

2 hours ago, AlexandriteGem said:

What Alwin said.

With the Linden Home, you have only 512m and 175 LI (prims). But you can have 1024m and 350 LI (prims). That 1024 can be your Linden Home with its 175 LI (prims) plus a 512 somewhere else with its 175 LI (prims). Or you can have a 1024 in one piece with its 350 LI (prims).

To take advantage of the additional 512, you do have to buy a piece of land from someone, but it's cheap. After that, there's nothing more to pay. I would go so far as to say that not taking advantage of the additional 512 would be somewhat silly.

33 minutes ago, AlexandriteGem said:

I have been kicked out of two places with landlords reputed to be problematic. 

You won't have a landlord because you will own the land.

All you need to do is buy the land (cheap) and it will be yours for as long as you want it, then put a house on it, and even more furniture than a Linden home allows (in LI), and a bigger yard to put a nice garden.

People are also forgetting that when you combine the land use fee reduction WITH the additional 512 fee-free land it is a 50% discount.

Before:

Own 2048 m2: 512 is free, but the remaining kicked you into the 2048 tier = $15 per month.

NOW:

Own 2048 m2 1024 is free, the remaining is in the 1024 tier, which is only $7 per month.

So in this example: it is literally a 50% discount from what it was before this change.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

People are also forgetting that when you combine the land use fee reduction WITH the additional 512 fee-free land it is a 50% discount.

Before:

Own 2048 m2: 512 is free, but the remaining kicked you into the 2048 tier = $15 per month.

NOW:

Own 2048 m2 1024 is free, the remaining is in the 1024 tier, which is only $7 per month.

So in this example: it is literally a 50% discount from what it was before this change.

Plus all the other benefits. If you design or create, it is nice to work in private sandboxes that are mostly empty. I love the privacy.
Lots of nice perks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexandriteGem said:

I have been kicked out of two places with landlords reputed to be problematic. That is no surprise, but it is frustrating to not be able to recover your money when LL turns a blind eye. I have stayed in skyboxes, homesteads, lived up in the sky, down and terraformed...you name it.

For my needs, an LL home works out great. Have tried them all before in my three years as a member, believe me. I take advantage of the extra benefits that the premium account offers and I feel that I save more money. 

A matter of taste and preferences

Are you sure you weren't buying parcels in private lands? You CANNOT get kicked out of your mainland parcels by anyone except LL. If you got kicked out by a landlord that means you've got private lands' parcels instead of mainland ones which don't require premium membership. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlexandriteGem said:

this has totally nothing to do with the 1024 tier level, you are talking about private estates/private owned rentals

If you base your own purchase of mainland on this misunderstanding you'r a bit wrong, LL doesn't kick off users, unless you'r a real pain in the ass or not paying your premium fees.

27 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Before:

NOW:

to make it even better :) ... donate it to a group and you again get 10% more landholding

3 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

e. And if not... you're just sitting on 512m of unused tier because you think spending $5-10 US is "too much"... and that is odd thinking...

Just wanted to note that if you pay yearly and count the money you get back from your stipend, the actual cost is a little over a US dollar per month :D. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Just wanted to note that if you pay yearly and count the money you get back from your stipend, the actual cost is a little over a US dollar per month :D. 

Haha, yes, THIS. (And I have grandfathered stipend @400L$ a week)  

Edited by Alyona Su

1 minute ago, AlexandriteGem said:

Are we allowed to rent the second home then?

As far as I understand things, No.  You can have one Linden Home.  If you want more than that, you either need to buy a Mainland parcel or rent from someone else (which as you already know, does have its pitfalls).

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I personally don't think they will ever put out larger Linden Homes.

Unless we count the Horizons parcels, which are already 1024s. When they were introduced, it seemed LL was surely trying to tempt folks to tier-up that first step above the "bonus" 512. Now, in retrospect, maybe we should have seen it as a hint that 1024 would become the new 512.

Completely unrelated: With mesh and the increase in Land Impact capacity, there's quite a lot that can be done with a 512 these days. I'm sure the market for 1024s is dramatically improved, but I wonder how many folks will instead choose to own two completely separate 512s where they can explore distinct building themes, role play narratives, terrain, etc.

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2219 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.