Why is your Avatar a ______?

Love Zhaoying

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2203 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 3/12/2018 at 4:37 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

Why are you a ______ in SL?

I am a neko ever since as a newly returned user in 2009, I put on a 'wear this box of goodies' freebie and it made me a neko on my old account. It immediately struck a chord with me, felt very me... and then I started realizing my avatar name absolutely did not fit me at all... so this account was born to make things fit and I scrambled my password on the other one to 'move past it'.

Over the years I have made alts that were furry, rabbit-girl, human, alien, orc, and so on... but none of them ever feel as me except for the neko. Though of late while the Orc is getting a similar vibe - I am not sure if this will hold.

My orc is an orc because... Orc is a proxy in fantasy for racist fantasies. Orc is the 'acceptable person of color to kill' by lighter skinned fantasy races, and Orc fashion and culture are usually modeled out of racist stereotypes of Native Americans. So the Orc... feels very much like RL me...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

I am a neko ever since as a newly returned user in 2009, I put on a 'wear this box of goodies' freebie and it made me a neko on my old account. It immediately struck a chord with me, felt very me... and then I started realizing my avatar name absolutely did not fit me at all... so this account was born to make things fit and I scrambled my password on the other one to 'move past it'.

Over the years I have made alts that were furry, rabbit-girl, human, alien, orc, and so on... but none of them ever feel as me except for the neko. Though of late while the Orc is getting a similar vibe - I am not sure if this will hold.

My orc is an orc because... Orc is a proxy in fantasy for racist fantasies. Orc is the 'acceptable person of color to kill' by lighter skinned fantasy races, and Orc fashion and culture are usually modeled out of racist stereotypes of Native Americans. So the Orc... feels very much like RL me...

Thank you for sharing, this felt very deep and personal!

*Edit* I am biased, being a Neko!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

Because I've spent far too long dutifully being who I am not in RL.

Because dysphoria, depression and anxiety suck.

Because therapy is either unavailable or expensive.

Because I enjoy having a way to be me :x

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Why am I a granny?

Well, perhaps not necssarily a granny, but an older avatar...I think I partly went older because I wanted to be different, and to be different in SL these days you almost need to be very normal. Any older avs I'd seenΒ were cartoonishly humerous -Β I wanted to try for something a bit more Helen Mirren or Judy Dench. And, having decided that as of my last birthday I'm probably officially mid-40s, I'm guess I'mΒ trying to come to terms with (and even embrace)Β the encroaching grey hair and wrinkles...

Β 

IMG_1430.PNG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peony Swee*****er said:

Why am I a granny?

Well, perhaps not necssarily a granny, but an older avatar...I think I partly went older because I wanted to be different, and to be different in SL these days you almost need to be very normal. Any older avs I'd seenΒ were cartoonishly humerous -Β I wanted to try for something a bit more Helen Mirren or Judy Dench. And, having decided that as of my last birthday I'm probably officially mid-40s, I'm guess I'mΒ trying to come to terms with (and even embrace)Β the encroaching grey hair and wrinkles...

Β 

IMG_1430.PNG

I can definitely see Helen Mirren in there.

I recently made my avatar a bit more mature too, because now that I'm over 50 in RL, I was tired of looking like I am 22 in SL. I will pass on the grey hair though. I will be ginger for ever. That's another thing though. So few guys in SL are ginger, and that is my "being different" thing. That, and being relatively short compared to most other guys.

Β Β 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Peony Swee*****er said:

Why am I a granny?

Β 

IMG_1430.PNG

I absolutely love your look.Β 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Lewis Luminos said:

I can definitely see Helen Mirren in there.

I recently made my avatar a bit more mature too, because now that I'm over 50 in RL, I was tired of looking like I am 22 in SL. I will pass on the grey hair though. I will be ginger for ever. That's another thing though. So few guys in SL are ginger, and that is my "being different" thing. That, and being relatively short compared to most other guys.

Β Β 

Technically, I should be a greymuzzle Neko Lion, but I’m clean shaven in RL so don’t think about it much in SL. Maybe when I get more grey in my RL temples/hair.

• Like 1

i'm forever shaven isl as my rl stubble is like steel that takes hour to shave. can't say i match age wise as most avatars look 20ish to me. did not see many older one's and peony's looks bad arse.

the only 'why?' i ever got was on ancient avatar. started sl sharing friend's account during pre-sculpty age. he roleplayed a soldier somewhere and made his avatar ... well ... like a realistic woman with this job. she also had a heavy prosthetic so kinda was more toned and muscled than average.Β 

got plenty of 'why are you so muscled!?' or 'why are you so masculine!?' while she was not that much different than standard.

no other account got this question.Β 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Why is your avatar a child?

When I started playing, I felt that child avatars had a lot more to do that wasn't just going to pretend bars and having pretend sex. I also felt that, as far as immersion goes, being a kid made it easier to learn how to play, kids kids don't know everything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 14/03/2018 at 4:02 AM, Matty Luminos said:

I also used to be Neko for a long time ...<snip>...Β  However I did find that it led most gay men to assume that I was a submissive, which is most definitely not the case.

I find the same, they see me as a kitten and totally go down the wrong path. Although my sharp metal claws quickly make the point I'm not submissive.

Kittens are small (I am 5'10" in world in the new geralt), bishonen/twinky-cute, cuddly, bossy, bratty, demanding, god-like - and when we demand obedience from our loyal humans we expect it immediately.

Β 

And to answer Love; Why am I normally an SL-Hybrid, or more precisely a shape-shifting ε¦–ζ€ͺ (Yōkai). When I started SL in 2006 I was fortunate and found a wonderful family on my first day. One of my brothers was a pup, one was a neko. Exposed to them, I found I had a solid connection to Yōkai lore. So from 2006 to 2014 I was 狐憑き (Kitsune posessed), switching over toΒ ηŒ«ζ†‘γ (Neko posessed) and becomingΒ  εŒ–γ‘ηŒ«Β  (bakeneko) about four years ago when I decided I'd changed a lot away from the nature of a Kitsune.

But, Bakeneko is way too hard to explain to people, so I simplify it to neko for most people, and set myself to look like a normal SL-Hybrid/nekomimi. It's a bit amusing to me that unlike the real world, most of SL knows what a Neko is.

I've pretty much had hybrid ears and tails my entire SL life. My Kitsune had 3 tails, my Neko has two tails but hides one from view.

Edited by Callum Meriman
full stop, not question mark. omg.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Most of the time I'm 'just a human', but periodically I'll swing my demon avi. If it weren't for the rather elaborate process of changing back and forth I might change more frequently.Β 

Why, though... Well, I like being human. Most of the photos I do of myself is as a human, usually because I want the focus to be on the clothing or scene. My wardrobe is mainly for human, and much of it is Regency fashion which I find calls for a more sober approach.

As for the demonic, I suspect it may have to do with my macabre fascination for the unholy. It's the embodiment of my ideals of transgressing social convention and taboo to explore pleasure and pain, both physical and emotional, unfettered by moral precept built on narrow-minded, authoritarian traditions trying to bridle our potential and subdue us with its herd mentality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Somtimes people askΒ meΒ "(Why) are you a neko?"

... I am not.Β I came to the conclusion that most so called nekos in SL have a submissive doglike personality (most likeley the pointy ears are from some terrier ancestors) ... I prefer to be considered independent asΒ a cat though. I want nothing to do with thoseΒ uncatty "neko" cats. If I wanted to run around leashed to a collar I would have gotten myself doggy ears instead, wouldn't I?

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Somtimes people askΒ meΒ "(Why) are you a neko?"

... I am not.Β I came to the conclusion that most so called nekos in SL have a submissive doglike personality (most likeley the pointy ears are from some terrier ancestors) ... I prefer to be considered independent asΒ a cat though. I want nothing to do with thoseΒ uncatty "neko" cats. If I wanted to run around leashed to a collar I would have gotten myself doggy ears instead, wouldn't I?

Kinda like my Neko Lion..intentionally different.

• Like 1

One of my avatar's looks is usually angry, I was asked today why that is. I really hadn't given it a lot of thought, I just liked the way the angry expressions that comeΒ with my Bento head, went with the rest of the look, but upon further thought, there is a part of me that is always angry, i do not show that aspect much in RL, but maybe my sub-conscience is trying to express itself.Β 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

One of my avatar's looks is usually angry, I was asked today why that is. I really hadn't given it a lot of thought, I just liked the way the angry expressions that comeΒ with my Bento head, went with the rest of the look, but upon further thought, there is a part of me that is always angry, i do not show that aspect much in RL, but maybe my sub-conscience is trying to express itself.Β 

Whoa, I thought that was only me! Once I returned and found that angry expression on my (non bento) head I haven't turned it off since no matter what I wear.

CaCeZBI.png

Funnily enough, I'm really not an angry type of person but I'd be damned to make her stop doing that expression now, its awesome. Angry avatars rejoice!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Syn Anatine said:

Whoa, I thought that was only me! Once I returned and found that angry expression on my (non bento) head I haven't turned it off since no matter what I wear.

Β 

Funnily enough, I'm really not an angry type of person but I'd be damned to make her stop doing that expression now, its awesome. Angry avatars rejoice!

Orwar New Profile

I think it's the eyebrows. People say I look intimidating or mad all the time.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2203 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.