Debunked Rumors/Conspiracy Theories

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2023 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

I interpret that as "If I recall correctly" - although that doesn't exactly match up, but my interpreted meaning usually works for the rest of the context.   (Maybe it was supposed to be IIRC?)

Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry for the confusion. I'm not sure where I picked it up from or what it's supposed to be. Apologies.

Still, other than that the post did give an example where adding a script changed the accounting so it was heavier than it would have been otherwise. The more < 1 LI bits joined together, the worse a problem it was. 2 LI to 3 LI is annoying, but say 4 LI to 8 would make something unsellable, at least at that time (before the prim allowance was increased for land).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/2/2018 at 12:58 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

How about rumors that:

- Someone could torture-pose your AV so that it can’t be fixed

- Someone could grief in such a way as to fry your GPU / PC?

- If you’re caught streaming music without paying licensing fees, the authorities (ASCAP, BMI, FBI) will come after you?

Actually: 1 and 2 *were* true for a time. :) Is now definitely a myth. Number three was a threat, though I've never heard of anyone actually having to cough up anything. LOL

On 3/2/2018 at 4:24 PM, Lucia Nightfire said:

There are certain animations in one particular ancient "combat HUD" that can distort/animate your avatar in a such a way that the Reset Skeleton & Animations or Stop Avatar Animations & Revoke Permissions viewer options cannot fully fix. It takes a relog to fix your avatar.

These attacks are perms grabbers/collectors that use the click-to-sit vector. They are invisible followers that cover your avatar, the ground or your objects to get you to unknowingly click and in-turn, sit on them to grant perms.

I don't know about any combat HUD, etc. Though I do remember that some would surround you with an invisible sphere set to "sit on click" - but it would do other stuff, like orbit you; I don't recall any that would do the deform thing.

3 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Oh I remember one... LL will delete all accounts that haven't logged in for X amount of years

Actually: they really did do this, or at least: used to. Not consistently, though, but generally they did seem to go through every once in a (great) while and run some kind of scrubber. Though you have to be *really* AWOL for a long time, and it really IS very inconsistent. I think now they just limit that to those accounts report as breached, accounts that are WAY in arrears (owe lots-n-lots of money acus they ain't paid tier), banned accounts and so on - basically those that are "dead" and cannot be revived by the user. Though THIS one is mostly what I 'think I saw" - though not entire ly sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:
4 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Oh I remember one... LL will delete all accounts that haven't logged in for X amount of years

Actually: they really did do this, or at least: used to. Not consistently, though, but generally they did seem to go through every once in a (great) while and run some kind of scrubber. Though you have to be *really* AWOL for a long time, and it really IS very inconsistent.

AFAIK, that was never really verified.  The problem is a statistical one. The older any information is, the greater the probability that it will be borked inadvertently when LL does maintenance on their servers -- kinda like the small risk when you optimize your hard drive or have to move data from one hard drive to another. If your account sits idly in a quiet corner of LL's basement servers, it has a chance of getting corrupted every time they mess with the server. So you can expect a small number of old accounts to become inaccessible simply by random accidents over time, not necessarily by deliberate scrubbing. Since we can't peer into LL, we can't tell the difference.  Hence the conspiracy theory.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

AFAIK, that was never really verified.  The problem is a statistical one. The older any information is, the greater the probability that it will be borked inadvertently when LL does maintenance on their servers -- kinda like the small risk when you optimize your hard drive or have to move data from one hard drive to another. If your account sits idly in a quiet corner of LL's basement servers, it has a chance of getting corrupted every time they mess with the server. So you can expect a small number of old accounts to become inaccessible simply by random accidents over time, not necessarily by deliberate scrubbing. Since we can't peer into LL, we can't tell the difference.  Hence the conspiracy theory.

I assume “idled” account data is (was) moved to a backup/alternative DB where borkage would occur?

2345EE51-F15F-4F8E-BFD8-0013A0878771.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I assume “idled” account data is (was) moved to a backup/alternative DB where borkage would occur?

That's a fair assumption, and I would guess is probably what LL does today.  I might believe that redundancy wasn't in the plan when they were just starting out because (a) cost and (b) who knew SL would last this long?  It's all speculation, though, so in the absence of information, people are free to create it .... and they  do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

That's a fair assumption, and I would guess is probably what LL does today.  I might believe that redundancy wasn't in the plan when they were just starting out because (a) cost and (b) who knew SL would last this long?  It's all speculation, though, so in the absence of information, people are free to create it .... and they  do.

It’s what I would do, who wants a cr*pload of idled data taking expensive DB, making maintenance take longer?

On 3/1/2018 at 7:09 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

The newest one I know is that Sansar was going to replace SL.

I still hear this. Sansar was never meant to replace SL. That's like saying a restaurant that sells broiled chicken and adds fried chicken to the menu is going to no longer have customers ordering the broiled chicken. That's silly!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I still hear this. Sansar was never meant to replace SL. That's like saying a restaurant that sells broiled chicken and adds fried chicken to the menu is going to no longer have customers ordering the broiled chicken. That's silly!

The product was aimed at bringing in new, different customers.  Not to cannibalize existing customers.  New product = new customers.  Simple.  They even said as much with the initial announcement.

But people hear what they want to hear.

/me shrugs.

• Like 1

In my early days in SL in 2006, even though the pre Windlight graphics were rather more basic than what we have now, the lack of shadows was a bit of a disappointment.  There were discussions on the forums about shadows and usually there were replies that they could never be made to work on SL.  Now, with a good computer, one can have shadows enabled all the time.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

Ummmm... Silly, but true...

Shortly after Phil Not-A-Linden published his public begging-letter on the web, asking for crowd funding and crowd coding for what would eventually become "Lo Fidelity"...

Our Beloved Leader posed for a PR picture holding a Vomit-Cam geek goggle box, that graced his first official blog post on what would eventually become known as Project Stupid, an ill considered , ill planned, knee jerk reaction to the hollow and empty threat posed by the at that time still un-named "Lo Fidelity".

In his post the Beloved Leader stated that in his opinion enemies of SL would shortly kill it off with vomit-cam based products, and that if ANYONE was going to kill off SL, it should be HIM, and so he announced the new Project, and it was clearly implied that Project Stupid WOULD be the replacement for SL. The only "ray of hope" in that post was the statement that SL-1 would be kept open as long as enough people still used it to justify it being used as a cash-cow for Project Stupid

That only changed when they found out how much it would cost to migrate the entire SL content database to the new system, and then announced that they weren't going to bother.

The tidal wave of negative customer reaction to the suggestion that they planned to kill off SL and make everyone pay through the nose to re-upload everything on the new SL-2, and the implied loss of revenue from threatened mass migrations to the freegrids, leaving no SL income to finance the Project Stupid Money Pit, led to the new revised position that "It's a different product aimed at a different market"

Unfortunately, since the exact nature of that "different market" has changed more than once over the last 4 years, and still looks like a lemon, the claim that it "was never meant to replace" is clearly a myth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

"Lo Fidelity"...

Our Beloved Leader posed for a PR picture holding a Vomit-Cam geek goggle box, 

Project Stupid 

The tidal wave of negative customer reaction to the suggestion that they planned to kill off SL and make everyone pay through the nose to re-upload everything on the new SL-2, and the implied loss of revenue from threatened mass migrations to the freegrids, leaving no SL income to finance the Project Stupid Money Pit, led to the new revised position that "It's a different product aimed at a different market"

Unfortunately, since the exact nature of that "different market" has changed more than once over the last 4 years, and still looks like a lemon, the claim that it "was never meant to replace" is clearly a myth.

I find your constant use of your perceived point of view adjectives extremely annoying.

Your view is extremely skewed by your prejudice against Sansar. I doubt you've spent any time there or have an inkling of a clue what it's supposed to be.  One day I look forward to handing you a plate of your words for dinner.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2023 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.