Debunked Rumors/Conspiracy Theories

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1978 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I’ve only been in SL since 2006, but I stepped away a few years so missed out on the fun that is conspiracy theories about SL! I’ve read about some newer ones on here, and they are HI-LARIOUS!!

Please share some debunked theories with me. Let the hilarity ensue!

I’ll start: I saw one on old forum posts during days when mesh was “new”, that adding a script to mesh would increase LI. The newest one I know is that Sansar was going to replace SL.

• Haha 4

I think at one point before sansar rival grid inworldz was touted as an SL killer some of the top creators of their day even turned their back on SL for it partly something to do with some changes or what not LL were bringing in. Even back in its peak it was never as popular as SL

Edited by Claireschen Hesten
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

There's one person's old 'LL is against me' chestnut - the FIC - the Feted Inner Core. The FIC is claimed to be a number of SL users who LL grants favouritism to. It doesn't exist, of course, but the best take I saw of FIC was in this forum, where one child avatar used it as Feted Inner Child. I thought that is/was brilliant :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, Phil Deakins said:

There's one person's old 'LL is against me' chestnut - the FIC - the Feted Inner Core. The FIC is claimed to be a number of SL users who LL grants favouritism to. It doesn't exist, of course, but the best take I saw of FIC was in this forum, where one child avatar used it as Feted Inner Child. I thought that is/was brilliant :)

I saw about FIC on google before I wrote the post. I like the double pun with “inner child”!

36 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I’ve only been in SL since 2006, but I stepped away a few years so missed out on the fun that is conspiracy theories about SL! I’ve read about some newer ones on here, and they are HI-LARIOUS!!

Please share some debunked theories with me. Let the hilarity ensue!

I’ll start: I saw one on old forum posts during days when mesh was “new”, that adding a script to mesh would increase LI. The newest one I know is that Sansar was going to replace SL.

Adding a script to a mesh does increase LI. Each script adds .25 to the "server weight." Under certain circumstances (server weight being the highest of the three weights, existing server weight being within .25 of the next higher value) that would cause the land impact to increase.

I believe the land impact for mesh was revised not long after mesh was introduced too - those are the current numbers and when mesh was introduced it may have been a higher increase.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Adding a script to a mesh does increase LI. Each script adds .25 to the "server weight." Under certain circumstances (server weight being the highest of the three weights, existing server weight being within .25 of the next higher value) that would cause the land impact to increase.

I believe the land impact for mesh was revised not long after mesh was introduced too - those are the current numbers and when mesh was introduced it may have been a higher increase.

Ah, when I researched it after I saw the old thread, the Wiki link I found didn’t seem to mention script as impacting LI. Maybe I skimmed or it was a bad article.

How about ________ causes lag?

Surely some of these have been debunked. (I remember a party was held on my original sim where the hostess required everyone to remove any scripts).

-Scripted attachments (Sure, they contribute but are not the sole cause)

-Large buildings - but using repeated textures 

-Small items such as jewelry 

7 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

How about ________ causes lag?

Surely some of these have been debunked. (I remember a party was held on my original sim where the hostess required everyone to remove any scripts).

-Scripted attachments (Sure, they contribute but are not the sole cause)

-Large buildings - but using repeated textures 

-Small items such as jewelry 

SOME jewelry indisputably causes lag.  Not simply because it's small, but because it has a tremendous number of high resolution textures, and may contain many scripts and animations.  One citizen of Caledon, a Mr. Alastair Whybrow, was famed for his "sim-crashing" jewelry creations.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1978 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.