What is the normal height?

Jixxur

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 458 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What is the normal human adult height for SL?

Not talking about furries or teens or children, etc .. I mean for like a normal human adult height, like RL but in SL.

My height right now is 6.17 feet(1.88 meters) in SL and to some people I feel really tall. Are they just smaller? I don't know really what the normal height is.

I am normally about 6ft in heels and feel about average height for the groups of people I tend to hang out with. Men tend to be a bit taller 6.5 to 7ft.

In some groupings I am the tallest... In others I look tiny.. There are still groups of people often Americans that go for very tall looks, especially men but also women. Personally women above 7 foot tall look weird to me like their legs are twice as long as they should be. I don't know if they for whatever reason just can't see the deformity that is glaring to me, or if they don't care and are that height so their eyes aren't at crotch level to their over compensating male companions.

Just now, Aethelwine said:

I am normally about 6ft in heels and feel about average height for the groups of people I tend to hang out with. Men tend to be a bit taller 6.5 to 7ft.

In some groupings I am the tallest... In others I look tiny.. There are still groups of people often Americans that go for very tall looks, especially men but also women. Personally women above 7 foot tall look weird to me like their legs are twice as long as they should be. I don't know if they for whatever reason just can't see the deformity that is glaring to me, or if they don't care and are that height so their eyes aren't at crotch level to their over compensating male companions.

So would you say my height is fine then? Maybe I just hang around small people ... :D

If you feel taller than you want to be in the group of people you associate with, then reduce your size a bit. You will find a little smaller and you have more flexibility over how you can shape your body. You won't have to max out your arm length just to scratch your butt.

:D

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 1

There is no such thing as a normal height, unfortunately.  This comes up every once in a while and there is never a solid consensus.  There is even a debate on whether to use shape height or prim height.  I have seen scripted "prim height" tools add as much as 9" to your avatar's shape height no matter how your shape sliders are set.

Anyway ... I go by what my shape says because it is the only universal measurement and stay at about 6.08' while barefoot.  There are many people much taller than I and many people much shorter.  However it is the height that *I* like so that is what I use.

Edited by Rhonda Huntress
  • Like 1

I don't care what 'normal' height is anymore. I am 59" irl and in SL too. I actually only lowered my height from the 'average' recently, and I've been in SL off and on for years. I was too scared of the kid stuff... but honestly, I don't go to adult sims anyway. And the taller builds don't bother me too much ... well, because I'm 4'11 irl, so I'm used to everything being to tall. 

My height makes me unique irl, and it always has just felt wrong to be average height in SL. 

1 hour ago, Jixxur said:

My height right now is 6.17 feet(1.88 meters) in SL and to some people I feel really tall. Are they just smaller? I don't know really what the normal height is.

You would be taller than my adult, by quite a lot.

Why not the same height you are in real life?

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 1

Because of camera perspective, avatars in SL started out really tall, and correspondingly, furniture & houses/buildings were bigger/taller.  It seems that over the past few years, there has been a tendency towards somewhat shorter more realistic heights.  Per the Shape adjustment tool, I am 5.88 ft tall in SL.  I created my latest shape, height included, by starting with a 'proportionate shape' kit that I got on the MP (from a link in a blog).   I seem very small to lots of avatars, but there are a growing number where I am more 'normal'.

Side note - A therapist once told me that 'normal' was nothing more than a cycle on the washing machine.  B|

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

My avatar height is 1.78 meters (= about 5 feet and 10 inches) measured with prim, flat feet no hair on. Measuring like that gives the only accurate real height of the avatar. Linden Lab viewer shows wrong height and even until now they haven't corrected that misleading information in their viewer. Firestorm viewer gives quite close to the accurate height. There are some scripted height measurement tools and HUDs, some give close to the accurate height, some give wrong height.

With that height in many places I appear quite short compared to others. Then in some places I see also others with similar height and even shorter. I like this height because you can make the avatar look realistically well proportioned, which is impossible with very tall avatar, especially for female ones.

• Like 1

I think the trend these days is to go towards RL height where as when i was first starting out everyone was really tall and i did end up going tall, while i'm thinking of toning down my height a wee bit i could never make my self my RL height i just wouldn't want SL me to be as midget sized as RL me if i don't have to be

In my experience, women in SL seem to be trending more towards about 5'8"/172cm or so. Frequently we end up wearing shoes with incredibly high heels or platforms which push us taller, but without the shoes around 5'8" is generally where most women I see tend to be. Give or take. 

Of course it depends on the sims you hang out in. There are definitely sims where women are typically closer to 7' tall, which used to be the average height for women in SL years ago.

Now....men on the other hand...men seem to still be pushing 7 to 9 feet tall (213cm to 275cm). I've almost never seen a man in SL much shorter than 7', and those I've seen shorter than six and a half feet in over 12 years of being in SL I could probably count on one hand and have some fingers left over. 

There's definitely benefits to being shorter than "normal" in SL (see Callum's link) but I'd say you should make your avatar the size that best suits you. You should definitely be aware of the pros and cons (for instance, making your avatar and content larger uses up more space and more land impact, so you get much less out of any land you own, whereas building smaller is like getting more land for free) but ultimately whatever makes SL a better experience for you is how you should decide.

3 hours ago, Penny Patton said:

Of course it depends on the sims you hang out in. There are definitely sims where women are typically closer to 7' tall, which used to be the average height for women in SL years ago.

Made the same observation.
At party or rock music locations like "Big Daddys" or "Muddys" women tend to be quite tall.
At a soul and RnB club like Anaconda you just see women that are stretched in every (im)possible and (un)thinkable directions.
If you go to a techno club like boiler room, you will find the "normal" ones between 5 and 6 feet.

11 hours ago, Jixxur said:

What is the normal human adult height for SL?

Not talking about furries or teens or children, etc .. I mean for like a normal human adult height, like RL but in SL.

EXACTLY THE SAME AS IN RL.  Don't let Linden Labs fool you into being a giant!  Fight heightism in all it's evil forms!

I am 5' 3" (1.6M).  In RL, in SL, and I will never submit to heightist prejudice!

• Like 2

I currently stand at around six and a half feet - which is taller than I want to be, but I still feel tiny compared to pretty much every other male I encounter, and a fair few women. I've just checked some of the shapes that came with various skins I own, plus shapes that came with mesh bodies, and they're all clocking in at between seven and seven and a half feet tall. I suppose this is a contributing factor to why the men of SL are all so tall - if seven feet is 'standard', those who want to look tall are ending up in the eight feet plus range.

By contrast, I just had a quick look at a couple of shapes that come with female heads, and they were around five and a half feet tall... 

• Like 1

I don’t know what normal is but I am, according to the viewer, 5.04 feet tall.  For a long time I was always the shortest person around, but in the last couple years I see more and more people close to my height.  Still see lots of giants but I see more people normal height, normal for people that is.

I made a centaur recently and had to make a decision about height (the centaur does work with the sliders, but only a little).

So .. I used the SL library avatars as the current suggested height guide.

They are all 'of a size' smaller than we are used to in many SL sims over the last few years. I think that is good.

I think guys in SL incrementally get taller over the years in an effort to be 'tough looking' or however you like to refer to that.  

So I see the smaller default avatars as a useful nudge from SL to gradually encourage shorter avatars again (and in line with Pennys sensible suggestion for many years!).

The average height is about 9 feet tall. It's a mix of the very high camera altering people's perception and the fact that very few people have a clear understanding of human proportions or scale. As such, every single piece of furniture I buy and most buildings I use have to be scaled down 25-50% height or more.

Typical real-world size information for objects in Second Life

All dimensions in meters. Data from various architectural sources.
Rounded off to 0.005m.

Furniture

Dining table height     0.750
   Chair height            0.460
   Kitchen counter height  0.915
   Bar height              1.010

Buildings

Door height             2.135 (Real world. SL tends to run bigger due to oversize avatars)
    Door width              0.920 (ADA compatible)

Brick dimensions        0.100 × 0.070 × 0.200
    Cinderblock dimensions  0.410 × 0.200 × 0.200
    Stair tread height      0.180
    Stair tread spacing     0.280

Brick and cinderblock dimensions include mortar, so these values are suitable for repeating textures.
Stair tread spacing is a minimum

New Babbage, New Berlin, and Mopire City are built to realistic dimensions. The New Berlin people are behind that avatar height measuring post found around SL.

Avoid oversized brick textures in urban areas; it makes your building look out of scale. Steps with non-standard tread height just look wrong.

Oversized doors and high ceilings are OK if you don't overdo it. A 2.5 meter door will allow 8 foot avatars. If your avatar can't fit through a a door of that height, your avatar is too big.

• 5 years later...

I am currently at 34 on the slider, 5.91 in inches , 180 in meters. This feels natural, because when I was over 6 feet it felt strange and looked strange to me.

But things like my Magika hair don't look right. The long part of the hair that is supposed to hang down my chest is pushed out into space. Stuff like that.

Do you HAVE to be over 6ft to fit into stuff and outfits in this world? Is my height to short ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 458 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.