Has SL reached its goal

greek Wingtips

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2309 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I sometimes trawl through MP looking for new full perm clothes as I like to re-design for my personal use to wear rather than sell, and  I have noticed in the last year that very few designers are now coming up with new designs its as if the production has grounded to a halt over the year even from the top 5 mesh template clothes designers I only seen a drip feed come onto the market placed whereby in the pasts it was vast.    Does this mean that " the river is drying up"? sorry for the metaphor.

Edited by greek Wingtips

Quite possibly the mesh template river is beginning to dry up, but SL itself? Nope. I still see a lot of original (non-template) mesh content being made, which is good. Templates are useful, but recently I saw one specific male t-shirt template being used by three designers across two of the main menswear events one month: two of them at one location. Rather embarrassing for those creators, and rather boring for shoppers. I now see that template t-shirt being used for 'group gifts' by certain large clothing stores. If I wanted to, I could have about 20 different versions of it by now (although - before I realised it was a template - I did buy the first copy of it that I saw in a store).

• Like 2

Yeah, there’s always only been a couple of good template makers. I think all the fitmesh stuff has really slowed them down.

As far as non template stuff, it seems like it’s getting much better and exciting over the past couple years. Mesh has truly come into its own as far as appearance and quality. There was a time when you talked smack about mesh you were kinda right. Now.... you talk smack about mesh you sound like a loonie. Maybe even a toonie.

It seems to me that I'm seeing less original content in women's wear - or maybe I just haven't found the right creators.  Even with many of the designers that I see recommended in the forums, I end up seeing just more variations of the same template dress/skirt outfits.  It seems like the more stores I shop in, the more I now see the exact same thing in multiple places, with just different textures -- though I will say that some creators do a much better job of putting textures on those templates.  

I am starting to make a concentrated effort to take LMs at events for stores that I'm not real familiar with.  Even if I don't love whatever they have at the event, I'm starting to pop to the stores to see if they have things I might like that don't see to be everywhere else.

• Like 2

I find the people that make the best stuff usually are really relatively unknown. Then you have stuff that’s always good like Addams, etc. I try to stay away from template stuff....some stores are really guilty of using them.

What I have noticed is some designers are using the same shoes for a different event. It’s gotten so bad that sometimes I check my inventory before I buy them and when I check I already DO have them.

• Like 1

Less people being willing to purchase the templates (many of those willing to already have) and some template sellers pricing at high(er) prices than other creators are willing to pay-or at least more than others believe the item is worth, contributes quite heavily to the "there are less template creators around", and "I see the same base/basic templates everywhere" issue you are running into.

I don't think people realize just how many creators actually use templates-both those purchased in sl and out, or that many of these template items(though textured very well in most cases), the creator has bought the proper files to upload it into sl as if they are the original creator. (so, upon inspection one wouldn't see the template creator's name). Far more people do this than some believe....including creators that are well known, but do amazing texture work ;) 

Edited by Tari Landar
  • Like 1

It's more and more of a no-win situation for a lot of us who might want to make clothing. Use templates, someone complains. Take on all the tasks of trying to craft, size and rig your own mesh and open yourself up to a thousand more complaints because the shoulders are wrong, or it doesn't move right or it doesn't work with someone's favourite mesh body. I can only begin to imagine the pressure some are under to keep turning out new stock for the sake of events.

15 hours ago, greek Wingtips said:

I sometimes trawl through MP looking for new full perm clothes as I like to re-design for my personal use to wear rather than sell, and  I have noticed in the last year that very few designers are now coming up with new designs its as if the production has grounded to a halt over the year even from the top 5 mesh template clothes designers I only seen a drip feed come onto the market placed whereby in the pasts it was vast.    Does this mean that " the river is drying up"? sorry for the metaphor.

This post and the question it asks makes the fundamental mistake of thinking that SecondLife is ALL about commerce and clothes.

While I might agree that many of us enjoy the ability to create an avatar and dress it as we would like to a very hight standard, and there may be some people for whom this is the most important aspect of the system, for me at least it is only a minor part of my 2nd life.

Even if Linden Labs shut down the commerce, removed the shops, made us all look like one of their clone-avatars, I would still log on, just to meet amazing people in a place where (race/disability/sex/age....) prejudice is pretty minimal.

SL, like RL, will reach it's goal about the same time as hell freezes over.  It's the people that matter.  (even Maddy and Snugs)

3 hours ago, anna2358 said:

While I might agree that many of us enjoy the ability to create an avatar and dress it as we would like to a very hight standard, and there may be some people for whom this is the most important aspect of the system, for me at least it is only a minor part of my 2nd life.

And for some of us, me for instance, it's a near non-existant part of my SL. Dressing up (clothes shopping, dressing to go out, etc.) is largely a female thing, and there are a lot of males in SL.

On 28 December 2017 at 7:11 PM, greek Wingtips said:

Does this mean that " the river is drying up"? sorry for the metaphor

Oh JOY!

Yet ANOTHER "The Sky is falling! I'm not making as much money as I think I'm ENTITLED to! ALL IS LOST!" thread from Greek "Doomboy" Wingtips...

Seriously... If ALL IS LOST... Filthy Free-2-Play rabble without proper last names running around not giving you money, decreased sales of obsolete old crap, cats & dogs living together...

If it's all as "The End is Nigh!" as you claim...

WHY THE HELL ARE YOU STILL HERE?

[/thread]

Edited by Klytyna
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2309 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.