Inventory Cleaning?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1586 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Annika Velde said:

What's your count at now? :D

14.349, but I only been active on SL for 4 weeks... Thanks to the forums and the mess I created so fast, I understood I better can act now :D

• Like 2

Just now, iBrat said:

14.349, but I only been active on SL for 4 weeks... Thanks to the forums and the mess I created so fast, I understood I better can act now :D

That's awesome! I'm really happy that we could help with organizing your inventory! It's really good to get started now before it gets too overwhelming. I wish that I had started earlier than I did because I was kicking myself years ago when everything was just at the bottom of my inventory.

1 minute ago, Annika Velde said:

That's awesome! I'm really happy that we could help with organizing your inventory! It's really good to get started now before it gets too overwhelming. I wish that I had started earlier than I did because I was kicking myself years ago when everything was just at the bottom of my inventory.

Agreed, and it should definitely be showing in BIG letters when you sign up, that it is easier to keep your inventory organized.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, iBrat said:

That's a pretty impressive inventory for only 4 weeks.  :D

• Like 2

Last week I had 40.000 Items after some purging. With a heavy heart I put all my old sn@tch clothes into boxes. 
Today, I'm at 41.500, and I don't even know how that happened, lol. 
I have a tendency to mod a lot, and making copies of copies of copies (Especially body/head).

When I try to purge my inventory, a lot of times there come situations like.. "I know I don't wear that hair anymore, it's old, etc, but I PAID FOR IT!"

*cries in prims, puts prims into inventory*

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

I have a tendency to mod a lot, and making copies of copies of copies (Especially body/head).

I do the same thing but if you have a catwa head, catwa just put out a hud that allows you to save the skin and all the layers into one save space. This has cut down my inventory SO much. Best part is, its free!

3 minutes ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

When I try to purge my inventory, a lot of times there come situations like.. "I know I don't wear that hair anymore, it's old, etc, but I PAID FOR IT!"

I know exactly what you mean. That's why I don't want to get my inventory too low! I paid for these things I don't care if they're dated xD

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

That's a pretty impressive inventory for only 4 weeks.  :D

I think this is the reason... So does that mean the number of items goes up? And is it safe to delete them with like only 1 extra copy, instead of 5 or so? Why I have that to begin with?

Oops.png

5 minutes ago, iBrat said:

I think this is the reason... So does that mean the number of items goes up? And is it safe to delete them with like only 1 extra copy, instead of 5 or so? Why I have that to begin with?

Oops.png

Personally, I quit making multiple bodies. It just ended up cluttering everything up. If you organize your inventory well enough, you shouldn't need to make multiple bodies and should have easy access to your appliers :3

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, iBrat said:

Oops.png

Every time you modify your shape, if you aren't careful, it will save to a new copy - over and over and over again.  

13 minutes ago, Annika Velde said:

I do the same thing but if you have a catwa head, catwa just put out a hud that allows you to save the skin and all the layers into one save space. This has cut down my inventory SO much. Best part is, its free!

I know exactly what you mean. That's why I don't want to get my inventory too low! I paid for these things I don't care if they're dated xD

The sad part is, that I know this, lol. But for me, it's somewhat cumbersome to reapply everything - skin, makeup, tints. opacity - everytime I switch outfits. (And I do that A LOT), same for the body. 

• Like 1

Before Maitreya updated I had 3 copies. 1 with my neko skin and markings, 1 with my angel skin and tattoo and 1 "test" body I used for demos and when I feel like experimenting. I did the same with my Catwa head. For me, this was easier than trying to remember which saved slots were what.

I saw that new Catwa hud and plan on picking it up and using it, once I get stuff sorted.

• Like 1

I have 27 copies of the main part of my mesh body, each with different skins/appliers/alphas, 12 copies of the hands, 19 of the feet, and 17 shapes. That means that when I change outfit, the right body parts and settings are automatically selected too. It's a lot of work when an update arrives!

2 hours ago, iBrat said:

Oops.png

If you like to change skins with each outfit then you will want to have multiple copies so you won't be required to manually adjust those appliers each time you switch outfits. I don't how many of those you might have linked to current outfits but I'd suggest this. I'd suggest making some subfolders specific to the skin you intend on wearing with that body and only keeping the core pieces in there (i.e. body, feet, hands etc). Keep the alpha, HUD and everything else in the root folder.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2017 at 4:57 PM, Madelaine McMasters said:

I've been here nine years (6.5 on this avatar) and I've got 10,000 items in inventory. 9,000 of those are unneeded and 8,000 of them are named "object".

Does that tell you how I manage my inventory?

;-).

Tell the truth now Maddy.  Those 8,000 "objects" are all fire.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

0.11 on the Skell-Scale :)

*laughs so hard he chokes on his cuppa tea*

For those going O.o Rhonda is referring to my somewhat insane inventory count. Even more insane for the fact that I'm a bloke and most of it* is clothing, hair, shoes, etc -

590cec2008ed1_Skellsinventory.PNG.bfc8c1df3c4a249863cb82a3d76f4a64.PNG

*Okay, and quite a lot of textures, as well. 

Edited by Skell Dagger

• 3 weeks later...

This thread got me sidetracked on trying to lower my inventory on my main account.  I was able to get rid of 1,930 items just from using all the words Skell had mentioned, alas, that still leaves me with 131,387 items.  But, to be fair, I do own a store so there are a a ton of building supplies on my account.

As for organizing, I now put the date I purchased the item and the name of the store or event I got it at in the folder name of every item I get before putting it in whatever folder it belongs in, it helps a lot.

Edited by HaileeTempesta

• 2 years later...

Hi, well, from what I have seen here I have 88,883 items in my closet and NOT in alphabeticle order either or date bought by. I bought a VC for about L$500 and that didn't help either. I wish I could have a Virtual organiser!!! Or even buy a closet that would automatically sort out my inventory alphabetically!!

You have quite a number of inventory organizing tools available, @Samitra64

You can sort by name, or by date.  If you use the Firestorm viewer, you have a Recent tab that shows you things you've just added recently (and you can tell it what "recent" means).  You can also set sorting options differently for different folders.  You have Cut, Copy, and Paste functions.  You can re-name items (unless they're no modify) for easier sorting or recognition.  If they ARE no modify, you can create a folder, name it as you like, and put the no modify thing(s) in it.

One of the coolest tools is the ability to open multiple inventory windows.  This makes it a lot easier to drag something from one part of your inventory to another without all that endless scrolling.

You can get texture organizers to put your textures in.  Each one can hold over 100 textures, and only counts as one inventory item.  You can put things you seldom or never use into boxes...just rez a prim, give it a distinctive name, then drop your inventory items into its Content tab.  Then right click and Take the filled box into your inventory.

Use the tools...but don't feel bad about 89K items.  Lots of us have way bigger inventories than that! 

While inventory size is not necessarily a problem, how it's organized can be.  If you tend to have only a few folders, and those folders contain thousands of items, you have what is called a "flat" inventory structure.  This can lead to issues when you're logging in.  Use folders, and sub-folders, and sub-sub-sub-sub folders.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rasterscan said:

My friend uses some kind of organiser that links to a website it's pretty cool. The website shows pics of inv stuff, like shoes and dresses and so on. Very clever, no idea how its done.

CTS Wardrobe.  You have to upload the pictures - either snapshots that you take or MP listing pictures.

It still requires time to actually organize your inventory - it doesn't do that for you.  It simply makes it easier to find clothing items / outfits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1586 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.