Inventory Cleaning?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1538 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I'm still giggling about this.  I know what you are going through.

I had every intention of cleaning to get down to 35K and it just didn't work out.

Have you seen he Family Guy sketch where James Woods is like "Ooo a piece of candy!....Ooo a piece of candy!"? That's me when it comes to shopping..."Ooo a new hair!... Ooo a new outfit!... Ooo new shoes!"

17 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I think the only reason I got rid of so many this time is,because I have so much really old stuff that is way way out of date..

I just never know if one of the items is gonna come in use one day or not..

I kind of threw that philosophy out the window  then and just went for it and didn't look..just trashed and cleared hehehehe

I really need to just bite the bullet and start being more critical of what I'm keeping. I have a hoarder mentality of "Oh well I'm sure I could find some use for this." I think I'll take a page out of your book this weekend. Maybe have a glass of wine or 5 to make me care less about what I'm getting rid of haha!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Annika Velde said:

I really need to just bite the bullet and start being more critical of what I'm keeping. I have a hoarder mentality of "Oh well I'm sure I could find some use for this." I think I'll take a page out of your book this weekend. Maybe have a glass of wine or 5 to make me care less about what I'm getting rid of haha!

I just figure ,I'm not coming out of my mesh body,especially to wear system clothes..

If i were to get rid of my system clothes,I bet I could get down into the  lower 20k's if not the teens..hehehehe

I used to wear out designers I liked and would buy all their stuff so that all I had to do was go back and look for the new stuff to keep updated..

So much stuff I never even wore..

If my Husband only knew how much  money I wasted just  to stay in the loop with stores in here..He would flip hehehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Clover Jinx said:

It may sound silly, but after sorting stuff into sub folders I was going to purge similar items using Tim Gunn's Essential list. "Do I really need 12 pairs of black pants?"

https://www.popsugar.com/fashion/10-Fashion-Essentials-According-Tim-Gunn-763661

Is the correct answer yes? Because it feels like it might be "yes".

• Like 3

Just now, Ceka Cianci said:

If my Husband only knew how much  money I wasted just  to stay in the loop with stores in here..He would flip hehehehe

Haha! I feel ya on that! I think i've accidentally bought an entire store just about. Several in fact. I tend to gravitate towards a select few designers.

I really need to also go through and delete all alpha layers for clothing. i dont really need them since i have an alpha hud :P

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

YES! Yes, I do! (Says the guy whose entire wardrobe is nothing but black...)

1 minute ago, Annika Velde said:

Is the correct answer yes? Because it feels like it might be "yes".

For me it would depend on a few things, AC (yes now I check everything before I buy it), how unique the item is compared to the other similar ones and Rhonda's reaction to the item. I'm an odd duck, I know.

• Like 2

Just now, Annika Velde said:

Haha! I feel ya on that! I think i've accidentally bought an entire store just about. Several in fact. I tend to gravitate towards a select few designers.

I really need to also go through and delete all alpha layers for clothing. i dont really need them since i have an alpha hud :P

I forgot about those,getting all those alpha packs..

omg then there is jewelry,shoes and boots,hats and,bleh...So much clutter now ..hehehe

Just now, Clover Jinx said:

For me it would depend on a few things, AC (yes now I check everything before I buy it), how unique the item is compared to the other similar ones and Rhonda's reaction to the item. I'm an odd duck, I know.

All jokes aside I should probably do this too. I have quite a few similar items where I tend to favor one specific item over the other. I value my best friend's opinion quite a bit. She's stopped me several times from buying hair or clothing that she thinks looks bad on me or that she thinks i'll never wear. I swear she knows me better than I know myself sometimes!

I'm getting so many good ideas for cleaning my inventory!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I forgot about those,getting all those alpha packs..

omg then there is jewelry,shoes and boots,hats and,bleh...So much clutter now ..hehehe

I'm going to end up deleting most things from my jewelry folder. I hardly where any and the only rings I wear now are bento compatible, so there's more items that will be going straight to my trash.

Hats are another thing that I just don't wear that often. Not unless they're attached to hair.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Annika Velde said:

I'm going to end up deleting most things from my jewelry folder. I hardly where any and the only rings I wear now are bento compatible, so there's more items that will be going straight to my trash.

Hats are another thing that I just don't wear that often. Not unless they're attached to hair.

This^

I've found the best tool for cleaning inventory is being honest with yourself about what will really get used.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Annika Velde said:

all my talk of trying to clean things out,while I was shopping for a mesh head and skins for it..hehehehe

Actually mesh is probably going to be my main savior in making things so much easier to get rid of stuff I have been clinging to..

I was looking at my hair that I have..I still have stuff from Girl 6 in there.xD

1 hour ago, Skell Dagger said:

As per this JIRA:

Well that's a pain. I don't disable the Library, because I sometimes use items from it, but it's annoying for those that use FS and don't need it.

I used to always run with no library, but I was using the Cool Viewer before.  When I came back this time, I pulled FS and promptly found out that it gives me an error as soon as I log in if I use the "--noinvlib" parm.  The error specifically says it needs it for the bridge.

When I'm logged in with the official viewer I have 6361 items. When I'm logged in with FIrestorm I have 9270 items. But that is because the debug setting 'NoInventoryLibrary' won't stay on 'True' in that viewer. I have boxed all the other 38967 items and have no clue where I left them. Probably iin some organizers which I either can't find.  :S:D

1 hour ago, Clover Jinx said:

It may sound silly, but after sorting stuff into sub folders I was going to purge similar items using Tim Gunn's Essential list. "Do I really need 12 pairs of black pants?"

https://www.popsugar.com/fashion/10-Fashion-Essentials-According-Tim-Gunn-763661

Definitely - you never know when one might rip or something  :D

1 hour ago, Annika Velde said:

I have quite a few similar items where I tend to favor one specific item over the other.

I need a way to know when the last date was that I wore something.  If it has been a year or more, then I likely don't need it.

ETA:  Especially hair and jewelry - lots similar that I'm sure I haven't worn

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I need a way to know when the last date was that I wore something.  If it has been a year or more, then I likely don't need it.

ETA:  Especially hair and jewelry - lots similar that I'm sure I haven't worn

^^^This^^^

I'm almost positive that the majority of my inventory is hair. Some of it i'm pretty sure i've NEVER worn. I know that there are some jewelry pieces i haven't touched in years. I need to hire someone to help me at this point xD

• Like 1

I have been in Secondlife since 2004 (2006) on this specific character...

I'm very neat (imo) with my inventory because I always get nervous about my inventory imploding. At one point I was over 20,000 and I was freaking out. I'm now at 16,000. The reason I get nervous is because back in the day when SL was still in it's early days...I had heard of people with such large inventories they couldn't login because the server just couldn't handle it. One friend of mine was having this issue and claimed Linden Labs had to step in and do something with her inventory. Another friend of mine is currently experiencing inventory issues but hasn't wanted to bring it to Linden Labs attention and they are constantly having logging in issues or if they do log in once their inventory starts fetching and loading they will crash. 

I'm sure SL servers are capable of handling more than way back when, however I like to be self conscious and aware of my digital footprint on the servers

As for my personal inventory I like to "pack boxes" I could just delete all my system clothing and system layers (I'm all mesh) but some stuff brings back memories and I figure if I just pack it in a box and keep 1 box as apposed to an outfit consisting of 6+ items it is better for my inventory. I've trimmed down a lot of notecards, I have no sound files. I do have animations and tons of gestures but I recently went threw them and just deleted a whole bunch that were bad or not funny enough to keep. I need to be going threw LMs however I find that once I delete one LM two more take it's place lol. 

I was having inventory problems recently so I'm always aware of how much stuff I have. Recently my inventory wasn't fetching properly I had to clear cache and login to a debug server...after doing so my lost and found folder was full of system clothing and 20+ of the same LM...very strange (how do you lost and found LMs and system clothing? lol). I'm happy now at 16,000 and my personal rule of thumb is not to get beyond 20,000. I'll just keep packing stuff up I don't use which I know I could delete, but then I'll want it or need it later lol you know how it is.

EDIT: Forgot to add, whenever I buy new stuff...I usually keep the mesh size that fits the best but pack up the other sizes in a box named EXTRAS then I put that box in the original folder. That way if I ever change my shape or sizes I still have the original sizes available to me. No point having xxs, xs, s, m, l, xl, maitreya, belleza, slink...etc. if I just need 1 size. It all adds up.

Edited by Summer Logan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Annika Velde said:

Just type "demo" into the search bar of your inventory and delete all the things!

Such a simple and great tip! I deleted almost 2000 items in 20 minutes.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Summer Logan said:

I'm sure SL servers are capable of handling more than way back when, however I like to be self conscious and aware of my digital footprint on the servers.

That is very considerate of you! There was a widespread rumor years ago that if you had over (I think) 50K items, your account would be blocked or something crazy like that. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1538 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.