Inventory Cleaning?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1559 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 minutes ago, rasterscan said:

I got told anything above 25K items in Inv can cause login lag. Is that true ?

Only if you have thousands of items in a single folder that aren't divided up into subfolders. My inventory is currently at 53k but I use subfolders a lot.

And don't forget that 3,500 of your total is the Library, so my reported 53k is really less than 50k. 

If you use Firestorm, it will tell you the difference in the numbers:

200128_001.thumb.jpg.945e66165f3231bfdbd2dbaeb09c4896.jpg

Here you can see that my actual inventory (objects) is really only 45k, plus 4,444 folders and subfolders.  

The official viewer counts only the objects, not the folders.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rasterscan said:

I got told anything above 25K items in Inv can cause login lag. Is that true ?

I can’t find the source so I’m tagging for confirmation but I was told that @Oz Lindensaid that more than 1000 items in any one folder or sub-folder can cause lag. I’d really also like to know if overall inventory size can cause lagginess and if so, what kind.

I’m managing my inventory this year. A lot of it I’m just boxing up first to reduce the total number of items so I can sort by manageable chunks into sections. I don’t have a goal number yet to get down to but if there’s a ballpark number to be under for better efficiency, that would be really good to know. Until last year, I did not divide my focus over more than one avatar so Fauve’s account hovers around 100k, with nearly 12 years of stuff, plus much of the Company Wardrobe of Ballet Pixelle stuffed in there. 😹

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Fauve Aeon said:

I can’t find the source so I’m tagging for confirmation but I was told that @Oz Lindensaid that more than 1000 items in any one folder or sub-folder can cause lag. I’d really also like to know if overall inventory size can cause lagginess and if so, what kind.

I’m managing my inventory this year. 

Hmmm, do confirm if you find out .. and I've been a guard dog on my inv this year. Like say I buy a sweater. The classics, LM, nc and ones not for my av type all get binned now. Tough love I calls it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, rasterscan said:

Hmmm, do confirm if you find out .. and I've been a guard dog on my inv this year. Like say I buy a sweater. The classics, LM, nc and ones not for my av type all get binned now. Tough love I calls it.

I've always gotten rid of all the sizes that I don't use, though with BOM I now regret getting rid of the alphas that came with outfits.  I keep pictures of outfits & items, only keep notecards that are instructions for how to work something, and ditch pretty much all else.  I don't even keep the original box on probably 95-99% of the things I unpack -- only for really big purchase items.  I also don't keep hardly any landmarks these days, at least for stores - primarily because too many change, so they become invalid anyway. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

... with BOM I now regret getting rid of the alphas that came with outfits ... 

Um. Theres some great free multi pak alphas on the MP, old types, I didnt realise they work on BOM altho I understood clothes layers do. Dig 'em out.  I had a fest grabbing old reseller layers on the MP too, a rich source of low cost layers and some are really good. Of course, it didnt do the Inv much good but  ... 

Edited by rasterscan

16 hours ago, rasterscan said:

I had a fest grabbing old reseller layers on the MP too, a rich source of low cost layers and some are really good.

I did this also. Though you really should pop those PSD files into your photo editor and resize to 1024x1024 and then touch them up for the new BOM standards. :D I plan to throw some outfits out for free as a "BOM Starter" kit for people. LOL

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 6:53 AM, Fauve Aeon said:

Inventory size does not affect lag in any way that I know of (where in this case 'lag' means impact on movement and visual updates).

If your inventory has more than a few thousand items in the same folder (where an item is either an object or a sub-folder), it can affect the time it takes you to log in; if that effect becomes large enough it can cause your login to time out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

7 hours ago, Fauve Aeon said:

Thank you very much, this is why it’s good to confirm, I’m sorry for my dis-information folks. 

You got us confirmation via LL, Fauve, I don't think you should be apoligising for it. X

Edited by rasterscan
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rasterscan said:

You got us confirmation via LL, Fauve, I don't think you should be apoligising for it. X

Thanks, I guess it’s good to get a misinformation squashed. I’d just rather be coming from a more informed place instead of starting from a place of ‘I heard that....x’, and it’s something that needs correcting.  

side note that might need its own thread: I just wish there was a better understanding of low latency.  I have some puzzlingly low frame rates sometimes but I’m moving fine and avatars and the world are rezzing fine, but then some days the textures I see are blurred and keep re-rezzing. 

23 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

Thanks, I guess it’s good to get a misinformation squashed. I’d just rather be coming from a more informed place instead of starting from a place of ‘I heard that....x’, and it’s something that needs correcting.  

side note that might need its own thread: I just wish there was a better understanding of low latency.  I have some puzzlingly low frame rates sometimes but I’m moving fine and avatars and the world are rezzing fine, but then some days the textures I see are blurred and keep re-rezzing. 

It's not misinformation if you express any doubt about it and ask for confirmation; at that point it is not "information," but rather "an understanding."

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fauve Aeon said:

some days the textures I see are blurred and keep re-rezzing

Typically this means that the texture cache is thrashing.  If you can't increase the cache size any more, sometimes I simply go to my AppData location and remove the texture cache and let it start over on my next log in.  That isn't typically a recommended fix, but it will usually works when all else fails.

• Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1559 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.