Inventory Cleaning?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm almost in world 10 years. My current inventory is about 40k, maybe a bit less.

I've been unmerciful about getting rid of really old things that don't work any longer.  I've kept a handful of system clothing mainly for photo purposes. A couple of years back a friend did a before and after of avatars art exhibit and it really came in handy having a few old outfits, hair and shoes. 

My inventory is a semi-mess.  I try hard to organize it now and then, purging duplicates, etc.  Had I only knew how much I'd have 10 years later I would have started to keep it in order better.  My alts inventory are much neater but also, have a lot less stuff since they don't have a home.  My shopping weakness really is landscaping and house related.  

I try hard these days only to buy things that I must have. I don't even change clothing all that much unless working on a photo.  I've had on the same Blueberry leggings and shirt & Gos shoes for weeks now.  

• Like 2

I'm in the middle of going through the inventories of all my alts and don't have the numbers for all of them yet. But one of me, Jazz, has 7555 items in her inventory. The library folder accounts for 2828 items (yes I was actually crazy enough to count !), and you can't do anything about that. 3812 items are in her Marketplace folder. That leaves 915 in the inventory she actually uses for herself.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

The library folder accounts for 2828 items (yes I was actually crazy enough to count !), and you can't do anything about that.

Advanced > Show Debug Settings > NoInventoryLibrary = True.

You're welcome ;) 

2 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Advanced > Show Debug Settings > NoInventoryLibrary = True.

Now you tell me! :o

Edit: I don't actually regret going through the entire library. I already knew there are some gems among all the garbage but I discovered quite a few I had never noticed before. Not sure if I my count is spot on though - I did get distracted every now and then. It's not that far off though - somewhere between 2500 and 3000 items in that folder we all share.

Edited by ChinRey
Adding a comment

I had around 50K when I made the change to mesh.  After purging system clothes and packing up textures I made it down to 25K.  Recently I went on a major inventory assault.  I even dumped all the snapshots with no names along with all the boxed up building components, textures and stuff I will never use again.  I also trashed all the "standard sized" early mesh clothes. 

I was down to under 10K for about an hour :)

My target is to keep it between 15-25K.  As long as I manage it correctly (keeping only my body version, deleting note cards after I read them, etc) I don't think I will need a heavy purge again for another year or so.

• Like 2

Like Madalaine, I have also been around for about 6+ years and my inventory is generally around 7500.

I am pretty fanatical about keeping it sorted because I despise when I can't find something I am looking for. I keep my stuff sorted by type and then by brand. Since a lot of vendors use symbols on their folders (@#$![*) I went as far as renaming all those parent folders so they all follow the same naming convention. I found that it was not only more legible (when looking at your folders in mass) but also more efficient.

I don't necessarily manage it daily but I have a system in place to keep the root structure of my inventory clean and restrict where things can get messy. I have a folder called *DEMO* with a few subfolders that I will put items into that I have an interest in for a future purchase. One of the other subfolders in there is for items I haven't tried on yet. Once I do I can delete it if I have no interest in it or sort it into the appropriate category within that folder. In the demo folder I will also delete the excess body types or in the cases of hair I will delete the color schemes that I wasn't interested in so I won't have to try it on later and figure out which one I had liked.

I then have a folder I labeled ">:::" That is my sorting folder. This is where I will put items I have purchased that still need to get prepped and sorted into the correct catagory folders. So in this case if I am Talli, I can still go dance with my friends and do my sorting at the same time. :D

I also have a folder labeled ".:: {RETIRED}" I keep this folder it in a few catagory folders. So for example one is at the top of my clothing folder. I have another in my body<skins folder etc.  The retired folder is for items I still want to keep but are generally a little older that I may not use often.

21 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

Um... I may not be your typical shopping-hating guy here...

Skell's inventory.PNG

You've officially crossed the threshold. How does it feel to be a hoarder? :D

sna.jpg

Edited by Chase01
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Chase01 said:

[...] One of the other subfolders in there is for items I haven't tried on yet. [...]

I then have a folder I labeled ">:::" That is my sorting folder. [...]

I have these folders - and there is where my problem lies.  I seem to fill them far faster than I actually sort or try on.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I have these folders - and there is where my problem lies.  I seem to fill them far faster than I actually sort or try on.

lmao.I have about 15 items in there to sort at the moment so its definitely time before it becomes a problem lol. A clean inventory is like a clean house. It feels wonderful! :D

• Like 1

My inventory tends to stay in the 35 - 37k range.  I have a pretty good organization system that works for me.  I recently did go through and get rid of a lot of system clothes. Next I need to take another look at what's in my furniture and houses folders.  It's harder for me to get rid of those kinds of things than it is for me to get rid of clothes.   I do have a lot of textures and building kits, which I've kept because one of these days I will get around to trying to learn more about building :) 

13 hours ago, ViscousSummer88 said:

Just type "demo" into the search bar of your inventory and delete all the things!

On 5/7/2017 at 2:28 AM, moirakathleen said:

I can certainly relate to that. I still have the very first house I ever bought. Its 400 prims but I can't bring myself to delete it. :)

On 5/6/2017 at 2:56 PM, Chase01 said:

I think you have a really good way of sorting! I think I'm gonna start renaming folders too. The store Aii tends to only put a "+" then the name of the item and it can be impossible to find the item I need if I can't remember the name. Thanks for the ideas!

On 5/6/2017 at 10:39 AM, Ceka Cianci said:

Wow good job! Are you cleaning out any specific items?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Annika Velde said:

Wow good job! Are you cleaning out any specific items?

The last time I was in and cleaned my inventory was probably last summer around this time..

If I remember right,I was just cleaning out my objects folder with a vengeance,only stopping for things I knew I needed and still didn't get half way finished in that folder..

I failed pretty bad the day before yesterday at trying to clean my inventory..I think I might have gotten rid of about 5k worth of items..

9 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

The last time I was in and cleaned my inventory was probably last summer around this time..

If I remember right,I was just cleaning out my objects folder with a vengeance,only stopping for things I knew I needed and still didn't get half way finished in that folder..

I failed pretty bad the day before yesterday at trying to clean my inventory..I think I might have gotten rid of about 5k worth of items..

That's really good! 5K is a lot of items! I tried to clean my inventory this weekend but kept unpacking things so now I'm up 1K xD Why do I do this?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Annika Velde said:

Just type "demo" into the search bar of your inventory and delete all the things!

A few other search terms you can try for deleting stuff: pose, posing, adjust (for all those pose stands), delete (for all those 'delete me!' scripts), bag hold (unless you collect bag-holding animations), unpack (for unpacker scripts, but be careful to only delete scripts and not folders that end in 'unpacked'), thank (for those 'thank you!' notecards that usually only contain outdated LM lists etc, all of which you can get from the creator's profile).

At the end of each login session, I always go into my Recent tab, set my inventory filters to just show scripts, notecards, animations, and LMs, and delete everything I don't want or need.

Something I'm slowly working my way through doing is boxing up unworn clothing sizes, whether that's standard sizes that don't fit my avatar, or clothing specifically sized for mesh bodies that I don't own. I keep on top of new stuff, but all the older stuff that I've bought (or that's come to me by way of blogger packs, which can be a nightmare inventory-bloater if they contain every colour in every size) I still need to get stuck into. I can't quite bring myself to completely ditch them, in case I do buy a different mesh body at some point) but it can at least help to lighten the load a little.

Edited by Skell Dagger

1 minute ago, Annika Velde said:

That's really good! 5K is a lot of items! I tried to clean my inventory this weekend but kept unpacking things so now I'm up 1K xD Why do I do this?

I think the only reason I got rid of so many this time is,because I have so much really old stuff that is way way out of date..

I just never know if one of the items is gonna come in use one day or not..

I kind of threw that philosophy out the window  then and just went for it and didn't look..just trashed and cleared hehehehe

9 minutes ago, Clover Jinx said:

No longer works in FS unless something has changed recently.

As per this JIRA:

Currently this is intended behavior. We consider the library a requirement for proper functioning of the LSL/Viewer bridge, which is also planned as core functionality.

That said, if you wish you can run the viewer in a mode that forces the library off, using the command line parameter "--noinvlib". However, doing so will likely result in errors under certain conditions.

Well that's a pain. I don't disable the Library, because I sometimes use items from it, but it's annoying for those that use FS and don't need it.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Skell Dagger said:

A few other search terms you can try for deleting stuff: [...]  

At the end of each login session, I always go into my Recent tab, set my inventory filters to just show scripts, notecards, and LMs, and delete everything I don't want or need.

Something I'm slowly working my way through doing is boxing up unworn clothing sizes, whether that's standard sizes that don't fit my avatar, or clothing specifically sized for mesh bodies that I don't own.

More ideas! Thank you for that. I'm going to start doing that from now on.

I have already deleted all the items for bodies I don't own or standard size meshes. I don't ever plan on owning Belleza and I only have Maitreya and Hourglass (slink). Belleza also has 3 body types included in it so that 3 items I know I can delete from each clothing folder.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.