How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

10 hours ago, Clover Jinx said:

LOL great minds...

59d80ddb28fd4_HerDiscoGypsy.thumb.jpg.d1f86fbfc296ce110257f9539e8e3009.jpg

That's one of my favourites of his recent builds. (Hell, I love all the shiny, rainbow-y stuff anyway). I played around a lot with the projected lighting colours to get them to match my outfit. These things are so versatile. (Also, great shot!)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Text-only post incoming. I posted this in the 'Just Ignore' thread, but it also kinda belongs here, since it's about creating avatar looks, so...

It's often stated that SL is a woman's world when it comes to shopping, and - as a man who loves fashion - I've always agreed with that. It's also sometimes (well, actually, often) said that most men can't be bothered to do much with their avatar once they've got a couple of decent looks together. More often than not, though, that's because it's so bloody difficult to find a wide variety of stuff that isn't just jeans, t-shirts, hoodies, sneakers, etc. Women who take the time to tour current events with a male perspective in mind may already have noticed this, but I've just been looking through the Seraphim gallery for the Black Fair, which has just started. It might open some eyes to see the stats:

• 140 stores
  • Male-only items - 3 (one beard, one skin, one set of m/m poses)
  • Unisex tattoos that show at least one man on the ad (and are therefore compatible with male mesh bodies) - 4
  • Other unisex items - 2 (mesh ears, glasses)
  • Unisex nail appliers (eg: not Maitreya-only) - 3
  • Unisex poses (eg: one male, one female in a couples pose) - 2

That's it. The guys get precisely the following:

• 1 skin
  • 1 beard
  • 1 set of gay poses, plus 2 m/f couple poses
  • 4 tattoos
  • 1 pair of ears
  • 1 pair of glasses (there are two other pairs, but both are very femme 'cat-eye' styles)
  • 3 sets of nail appliers (if that's their thing)

Oh, and of course, all of the home decor options. ¬¬

It's bloody hard work putting together a stylish male avatar when that's the typical offering (and it IS the typical offering) at events.

ETA: Yes, we do now have male-only events (four of them, plus one yearly event) but if you've been going to those for as many years as I have, you'll see that the items on offer tend toward an average of 75% jeans, t-shirts, hoodies, sneakers, etc, 5% home decor, 10% accessories, and 10% 'fashion' clothing. Even some of the more 'fashion' designers that frequent these events have started moving toward hoodies and sneakers lately.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 9

@Skell Dagger  That seems so unfair. Is it just an assumption on the part of creators, do you think, perpetuated by all the guys who don't typically bother? Perhaps creators feel it isn't worth their time? If they did create more, would more guys be interested?

I haven't been out in the world yet (hiding at home mostly) but I know when I was in SL not that long ago, the majority of guys seemed to be content with the standard avi and jeans with a T.

Pity, really.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AnyaJurelle said:

@Skell Dagger  That seems so unfair. Is it just an assumption on the part of creators, do you think, perpetuated by all the guys who don't typically bother? Perhaps creators feel it isn't worth their time? If they did create more, would more guys be interested?

I haven't been out in the world yet (hiding at home mostly) but I know when I was in SL not that long ago, the majority of guys seemed to be content with the standard avi and jeans with a T.

Pity, really.

Oh, it's undoubtedly a business decision. I'm under no illusions that women shop more in SL, because they do. So that's where the money is, meaning that it's perfectly sensible for any business owner to focus on female fashion. And yes, the majority of guys probably are content with the standard jeans-n-tee look. But you'll find more and more male avatars now taking a lot more detailed care and pride in their appearance, switching to Bento mesh heads, etc., and many of them don't want "just jeans-n-tees".

I just checked out the gallery for the current Shoetopia round, and was pleasantly surprised that (for a shoe event!) it slightly bucks the trend. 62 stores and seven of them have male footwear. Only two of those are sneakers, so that's a bit more promising ;)

Anyway, I've kvetched enough. I'm still in Daft Punk mode, so here's another shot from yesterday's session:

36868115603_05224e8b42_b.jpg

And I wasn't kidding about the dancing thing, because... well, here ya go. I need to invest in Gyazo Pro so I can make longer animation files.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 11

9 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

Text-only post incoming. I posted this in the 'Just Ignore' thread, but it also kinda belongs here, since it's about creating avatar looks, so...

It's often stated that SL is a woman's world when it comes to shopping, and - as a man who loves fashion - I've always agreed with that. It's also sometimes (well, actually, often) said that most men can't be bothered to do much with their avatar once they've got a couple of decent looks together. More often than not, though, that's because it's so bloody difficult to find a wide variety of stuff that isn't just jeans, t-shirts, hoodies, sneakers, etc. Women who take the time to tour current events with a male perspective in mind may already have noticed this, but I've just been looking through the Seraphim gallery for the Black Fair, which has just started. It might open some eyes to see the stats:

• 140 stores
  • Male-only items - 3 (one beard, one skin, one set of m/m poses)
  • Unisex tattoos that show at least one man on the ad (and are therefore compatible with male mesh bodies) - 4
  • Other unisex items - 2 (mesh ears, glasses)
  • Unisex nail appliers (eg: not Maitreya-only) - 3
  • Unisex poses (eg: one male, one female in a couples pose) - 2

That's it. The guys get precisely the following:

• 1 skin
  • 1 beard
  • 1 set of gay poses, plus 2 m/f couple poses
  • 4 tattoos
  • 1 pair of ears
  • 1 pair of glasses (there are two other pairs, but both are very femme 'cat-eye' styles)
  • 3 sets of nail appliers (if that's their thing)

Oh, and of course, all of the home decor options. ¬¬

It's bloody hard work putting together a stylish male avatar when that's the typical offering (and it IS the typical offering) at events.

ETA: Yes, we do now have male-only events (four of them, plus one yearly event) but if you've been going to those for as many years as I have, you'll see that the items on offer tend toward an average of 75% jeans, t-shirts, hoodies, sneakers, etc, 5% home decor, 10% accessories, and 10% 'fashion' clothing. Even some of the more 'fashion' designers that frequent these events have started moving toward hoodies and sneakers lately.

Even the "mens" shopping events blow lately. I will call out one particular offender "Ethem", that consistently recycles their designs with the same effin templates all the time. I used to love their stuff but I will NOT give them my hard earned dollars virtual or real. Clothing wise I am and have been purchasing from 7 Mad Ravens, Scars, Cold Ashe (rarely), and Deadwool (slow to put out new stuff). Gabriel can be hit or miss, sometimes spot on fits sometimes even the ones made for my body break through. I feel for the fashion deprived males in SL

• Thanks 1

OK, so I need to find better hair for this look (love this Damselfly mesh style, but it has alpha issues and there's no materials version to get around that) and I'm still not enamoured of the fact that I can't adjust gloss/shine separately on eyes and lips, but it looks as though - with a couple more edits to tone down the ducklips-pout - I may have my androgyny back with this new Lelutka male head :)

andrea_comp.thumb.jpg.c8ae50f0f3c717a91176ecc9b33042da.jpg

• Like 13