How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

Hey @Scylla Rhiadra and @Eva Knoller...the story goes, that I was backlogged trying to catch up posting into to my Flickr account... so, I got sucked into that whole thing and came across an SL post with the Avi smiling. I starting reading the comments and discovered it was an IOS app called...FaceApp (apple app). The way it works is that you import your avi image into the app (easy), and the rest of the user stuff is simple and intuitive. You can adjust makeup, backgrounds, hair color, styles, smiles, beards (guys of course), you can also add old or young aging to your photos, etc... It's intended for RL photos but works amazing for AVI. I had a blast digging up older posts and seeing them with alternate expressions. The added benefit for those who are going for lifelike images is that because the software is adjusting RL photos there are fine details added into your shot that boost the realism in the skin infections etc... You do have to do a little back and forth dance bringing in the image and then saving to photos and then posting, but definitely a fun app. 

Below are a few examples. All images on the left are original posts and only modified with FaceApp on the right. 

My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/155460000@N05/

SARA FACEAPP.jpg

Edited by Saravendi
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

Last one... you can also take the expressions sad, but sl AO does a good job at that already, so say ..."cheese".  *snap

Sara example 2.jpg

Edited by Saravendi
  • Like 21

17 minutes ago, Saravendi said:

FaceApp (apple app). The way it works is that you import your avi image into the app (easy), and the rest of the user stuff is simple and intuitive. You can adjust makeup, backgrounds, smiles, beards (guys of course), you can also add old or young aging to your photos, etc... It's intended for RL photos but works amazing for AVI.

Wow. These look crazy good, Sara.

I'm not an Apple user, so I imagine I won't be able to access this . . . but what a great tool!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I've never seen a HUD that can move the cheeks that way! Which is one of the reasons, I think, that getting a decent looking smile is so difficult. What are you using, Sara???

Maybe they do have the app for Android??! Not sure.... but my question is, why can’t the AO programmers not produce natural smiles? I just accepted the limitation, but visually speaking it can obviously be accomplished. And yes... I know, we’re talking about 3D, wireframes, mesh... bone 🦴 structure etc... but, does anyone have any insight into how such an obvious emotion... probably The Emotive didn’t get addressed?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Wow. These look crazy good, Sara.

I'm not an Apple user, so I imagine I won't be able to access this . . . but what a great tool!

Thank you Scylla!!! I agree... really surprised me at how naturally the software renders the faces and so seamlessly and quickly.

Edited by Saravendi
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Saravendi said:

but my question is, why can’t the AO programmers not produce natural smiles?

Am no expert, but I think the main issue compared to the Face app, is that its not just a smile in a bone movement way. You need to change eyes a bit, add some wrinkles here and there, the lips need to stretch, the cheeks need to be compacted and so on. Also the app adds textures (teeth, wrinkles).

Don't think this will soon (if ever) all be possible in SL, but it looks nice on pictures. Not so creepy as morphed rl/sl pics, but much more natural.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think Zeta is right. It is easier to edit a picture than work with a non-creepy emotions on a face which has limited set of bones and is not that flexible.

Here's my try of the faceapp. I am not sure if a smiling me is still me.

IMG_7874.jpg

• Like 17

33 minutes ago, Kotelle said:

Here's my try of the faceapp. I am not sure if a smiling me is still me.

I know what you mean, I’ve gotten use to years of the sultry or neutral vibes... but, it’s kind of exciting to see the smiles, it kind of brings out another emotional side, and more authenticity a reflection of me and my personality in rl.

Edited by Saravendi
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

So, apparently there was some kind of sportsball game tonight?

If there's a ball in it, it isn't sport.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Saravendi said:

I know what you mean, I’ve gotten use to years of the sultry or neutral vibes... but, it’s kind of exciting to see the smiles, it kind of brings out another emotional side, and more authenticity a reflection of me and my personality in rl.

^ Second on this. Today is the first I've tried it. I didn't even know it existed until this thread. I suspect to some it's an app we don't need, and possibly even creepy. From personal experience I've seen a lot worse. And as others have already mentioned there are limitations to the current AO's out there, even for MoCaps. I wear a Lelutka head which I find has a lot more fluidity and smoothness to the animations over other heads I've worn in the past, but even it is sorely lacking in the basic smiles department. That's disappointing and means my avatar looks broody and pouting or at best impassive even with poses where she should be joyous. So this little cheat will or should hopefully come in handy to fill the void, at least for now.

Personally, I will say I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome. After I showed my pic to a friend they asked who that person was. That was gratifying insofar as there was no initial cringe before the inevitable challenge of; 'what's that supposed to be?' as I expected. Another bonus is that there's enough functionality in the basics you get for free in order to see results straight away (I haven't purchased anything inside the app yet, still weighing up my options). I think to someone who does spend a lot of time taking photographs in SL, FaceApp might be a useful tool to have under your belt just in case. One man's trash equals another's treasure, so to speak. 😁

Before and after;

85931178_raefaceappcomparisson.thumb.png.7e180b136ce148fdb02ef34ba7cfc073.png

• Like 16

4 hours ago, Orwar said:

If there's a ball in it, it isn't sport.

Right. Being Swedish, you're one of those "puck" people, aren't you?

Being Canadian, I'm supposed to be a hockey fan, but honestly, I find it boooooooooooring. (They'll be taking my citizenship away any time now.)

Actually, there's only one sport I really like -- and I do really like it -- and that's baseball. I literally couldn't name a player on the Toronto Maple Leafs -- but I can go on at some length about Aaron Sanchez's blister problem, or Vlad Guerrero's swing.

Just ask me!