Is there any woman out there who *doesn't* wear fake feet anymore?

Couldbe Yue

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4105 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I asked this question a few years back but then it was asking if anyone did..  Now I'm asking if there's anyone left who doesn't wear them.

Couldbe is still unfashionable and only has them in one pair of shoes but I've seen all manner of naked fake feet and of course there's always mesh shoes and feet these days.  So has anyone not succumbed?

(I only ask because I've just finished three major bits of animated furniture and as I'm doing my final check I'm wearing shoes and realise just how far poor Couldbe sinks into the ground with them on! Which means I need to readjust them all... or not if people still use the defaut av mesh feet.. yeah, I know, call me optimist!)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldbe Yue wrote:

I asked this question a few years back but then it was asking if anyone did..  Now I'm asking if there's anyone left who doesn't wear them.

Couldbe is still unfashionable and only has them in one pair of shoes but I've seen all manner of naked fake feet and of course there's always mesh shoes and feet these days.  So has anyone not succumbed?

(I only ask because I've just finished three major bits of animated furniture and as I'm doing my final check I'm wearing shoes and realise just how far poor Couldbe sinks into the ground with them on! Which means I need to readjust them all... or not if people still use the defaut av mesh feet.. yeah, I know, call me optimist!)

I'm inworld right now, and am barefoot.  No shoes, no fake feet.  Just my regular avatar feet. 

But, I do wear shoes and boots, and with those I have the "fake" feet, which work much better with the footwear.   I suspect that my barefooted avatar is not the norm.  

Couldbe Yue wrote:

I ALWAYS wear fake feet, CANNOT stand the default feet, they are ugly! Like someone cut the feet from a paper doll and didn't pay attention to detail. *shudders* When I wear shoes, I always wear N-Core shoes 'cause I love painted toes! LOL. 

Well, call me abnormal......."hi abnormal".....but yes I refuse to wear fake feet, lol.

I have a pair of heels that have them built in, if I absolutely must wear them, I will. I haven't worn them in a very, very long time though. A couple years, at least.

Normally, or abnormally as it seems the case truly is, I am as barefoot as the day the lindens made me.

Then again, I also rarely leave home and also rarely wear clothes. I wander around in a bra and panties and barefooted just about everywhere. I consider that dressed. I think the few people who ever see me, are convinced it's a bikini...but it's not.

Ok, if I DO have to wear clothes, I throw my smiley boxers and a tank top on. I still go barefoot though. I really don't wear shoes often at all.

I don't care how fugly my av feet are, and all av feet really are fugly.... they are MY fuglies, and I love them. :D

Yes, if I am not wearing boots, I wear sculpted or mesh feet.  I don't wear any heels without them and when I go barefoot I wear rigged mesh feet. Hate the cankles and club foot look.

It has always puzzled me from day one why the SL avatar had pretty decent hands but such ugly feet.  Its like they go to the knees and went a bit further then just gave up.

I'm with you on the cankles and some of those feet look gorgeous but I hate having to spend what feels like (and probably is) hours skin matching and then still have them change colour because they're prim not av mesh.  I did buy a pair of mesh heels with feet for one of my other accounts and spent more hours than my patience lasted trying to get the skin matched and gave up.

So Couldbe stays barefoot unless I'm taking the ad pics for my stuff and even then I'll keep her unshod if I can get away with it.  The problem for me is that the feet (both male and female shoes) change the animation positions from the unshod by enough of a margin to be quite noticable, I reason people can forgive if they're shoeless and floating above the thing but it's no so easy to be happy if you're partially stuck in the furniture .  Usually I remember to put the shoes on but for these, I forgot..  sigh

Couldbe Yue wrote:

I'm with you on the cankles and some of those feet look gorgeous but I hate having to spend what feels like (and probably is) hours skin matching and
then still have them change colour
because they're prim not av mesh.  I did buy a pair of mesh heels with feet for one of my other accounts and spent more hours than my patience lasted trying to get the skin matched and gave up.

So Couldbe stays barefoot unless I'm taking the ad pics for my stuff and even then I'll keep her unshod if I can get away with it.  The problem for me is that the feet (both male and female shoes) change the animation positions from the unshod by enough of a margin to be quite noticable, I reason people can forgive if they're shoeless and floating above the thing but it's no so easy to be happy if you're partially stuck in the furniture .  Usually I remember to put the shoes on but for these, I forgot..  sigh

That is something I have noticed a lot but don't understand the technical nuiances.  You can match them under one lighting...say "noon"  change to 'sunset" and under that lighting they no longer match as well.  Is kind of annoying.

Recently converted myself and now up to 2 alts to mesh feet.

But my avatar has been wearing prim feet for a long time - as a furry and a neko. Now my mesh feet are human, which is new for me.

Slink mesh feet had a good color matching tool, which is what finally got me to switch.

The built in feet are horrid. Not just the texture, but they're also not 'tall' enough. If you adjust foot size it just stretches them out length wise, doing nothing to height or width - and that starts to look really weird the moment you get above a setting of 0. Not hard to do...

But I do see a -LOT- of people who run around bare foot and use the default feet. Since the nerves in a woman's feet connect to a part of the brain right next to the 'orgasmic zones' but the nerves in a man's feet do not... I suppose we can think of this 'foot prioritization' what we will... :)

InTheTub.jpg

I held off using prim feet for a long time because I couldn't get a satisfactory collor match with my skin.  I tried Slink, which uses a gradient-textured tattoo layer to obscure the transition, and they work for me.  They are the only ones that have.  Now I have one pair of heels and one pair of bare feet that I wear frequently. I have a few others pairs of shoes with prim feet that I wear with pants that hide the transition.  Otherwise, I sill wear prim shoes.  Eventually I will probably wear only shoes with prim or mesh feet, except when the outfit covers the foot and ankle; with those outfits, i see no reason to.  The part I hate about regular avatar feet the most is the ankle deformity.

Okay.  I'm brand new... and I notice my shoes that are this mesh stuff don't work well with the rest of my body - there's a see through line just above the "ankle" area.  What are these fake feet, will they fix this and how do I get some?

Thanks for helping out a noob!

I still use the default avatar feet mainly because I am almost NEVER barefoot in SL, and the only times I am it's when I am making skins and in that case I need to see the feet to work on them. Otherwise when I wear shoes I am always wearing either boots or heels that cover the toes, so there is no need for the prim/mesh feet for me. :)

If the shoes and feet are not rigged mesh then you need to adjust the placement a bit.  Wear them and stand on a post stand, then right click each one and choose EDIT.  You will see arrows appear.  Grab the Blue arrow's top and pull it up slightly until the transparent line disappears.

If the shoes and feet are rigged mesh, this could be a result of the texture failing to bake properly.  If some people see it correctly and other;s don't than it probably is the problem.  Try rebaking your textures to see if it goes away.  Soon all avatar textures are going to be handled server side instead of by the client which hopefully will eliminate this type of problem.

The only other cause I can think of is it may be is that the creator made a mistake when creating the rigged mesh.  I'd contact the creator and tell them everything you did to make sure it is not you and ask  them correct the problem.

I don't. For one thing I'm still on the dino viewer. What can I say other than " if it ain't broke... "

Plus the fake feet are hard to tint. It can look good in one viewer and purple in another viewer. I don't have a purple avatar so I don't want purple feet.

Plus because I'm on dino viewer other people see through my invisiprims. So that makes those feet useless to both of us.

So now I just try to find shoes without invisiprims which isn't easy. It was bad enough when I thought I only had to avoid the flintstone feet. Now I can't use invisiprim heels either.

bawdyerotic wrote:

Okay.  I'm brand new... and I notice my shoes that are this mesh stuff don't work well with the rest of my body - there's a see through line just above the "ankle" area.  What are these fake feet, will they fix this and how do I get some?

Thanks for helping out a noob!

Probably need to adjust the size so that the ankle is more snug to your leg. The transparent layer is probably erasing part of your leg. It's meant to blend in. 

Couldbe Yue wrote:

I'm with you on the cankles and some of those feet look gorgeous but I hate having to spend what feels like (and probably is) hours skin matching and then still have them change colour because they're prim not av mesh.  I did buy a pair of mesh heels with feet for one of my other accounts and spent more hours than my patience lasted trying to get the skin matched and gave up.

Not sure why but I have noticed that mesh shoes and feet don't change color with the light as much as sculpted ones do.  I have also always noted that the high end sculpted and mesh shoes are easier to match.  Some stores even will do the matching for you if you ask and some have ways to allow you to get a friend to help with it that has an easier time.

Some come with a blending sock that is helpful.  It is a sock that is solid at the feet and gradually goes alpha as it goes up your leg.  You match the feet with the skin as best you can then tint the sock with the same RGB values for an almost perfect match.  The socks are not hard to make either if you don't have one.  But they are copyable so I sometimes use them with other shoes if the shoes are difficult to match with my skin.   My Slink rigged mesh bare feet have a blending sock and were easy to match with my skin.  They match so well that you can cam in extremely close and not see the seam where they foot meets the leg.

One trick I use is when I get new shoes I make copies of them and match a set for each 'time of day' then just switch as needed.  (yes I'm that particular LOL).  Another trick is that shoes from the same creator or that are the same model, just different colors all respond to the same HUD.  So you can match one pair of shoes, save the color and use the HUD on all the other pairs.

Overall it is like any skill.  At first it may take you a long time, but then it gets easier. Even on a bargain pair of shoes it generally only takes me about five minutes to get a good match even without presets, just the generic color picker. You can also try different brands to see which ones work best for you.  I don't even need to match some shoes as they have a preset that is perfect with my skin.  My skin maker also sells shoes now that have a preset that matches my skin perfectly.

I have the same problems with another pair of shoes I own, they look fine in phoenix (I dumped the invisiprims and replaced them with an alpha) but, as I discovered last year, are not so fine for anyone not using that viewer.  That's when I decided to go barefoot.

It's all too hard and no one ever sees her anyway since I won't let her out of the workshop.

edit.. invisprims *not* megaprims!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4105 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.