What happened in History on this date

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1590 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3-7-2021      Smith and Wesson announces availability of the CR-15 "Corona Rifle", nearly six months prior to widespread availability of the first COVID-19 vaccine. The rifle shoots bullets specifically designed to kill the virus. While the gun itself weighs only 6.5 pounds, a magazine carrying enough rounds to kill a typical viral load in an average human (100,000 viral particles/cc of blood * 5000cc/body) weighs slightly over 8000 tons. NRA President and former Charlton Heston groupie Carolyn Meadows declares the new rifle a "Godsend".

Televangelist Jim Bakker who, one year earlier, was ordered by the US Surgeon General to stop selling colloidal silver cream as a proven 12-hour cure for COVID-19, decried the gun's release, stating "If you think you can kill the virus with bullets, I've got bottles of Silver Solution to sell you for $125."

• Haha 3

March 7th, 1936: Germany, in violation to both the Locarno Treaty and the Treaty of Versailles, move troops into the Rhineland, remilitarising the zone.

1965 - U.S.A. Civil Rights March

1965 : On the evening of March 7, 1965 a peaceful demonstration was planned on the road to the Montgomery capitol building. The next day, a report was made regarding the unfortunate turn of events that took place which had resulted in the sudden termination of this civil rights march. About 450 African-Americans had shown up to participate in this civil rights march which was organized by major figures such as Martin Luther King, Jr. King (not physically present at March, but a major influence). About a mile into the march, a group of state troopers bearing night sticks, tear gas, shotguns, gas masks, and grenades had broken up the march. About 40 African-Americans involved in the march were injured-some very critically. In fact, John Lewis (head of the Student Non-Violent Co-coordinating Committee) had suffered considerable damage to the skull. Another march was scheduled for the upcoming Tuesday. This second marching attempt was to be lead by Martin Luther King, Jr.

Edited by Tarina Sewell
  • Like 1

Well, on 3/9 we've had:

1959:  Barbie makes her debut, thus setting physically impossible standards of "beauty" for girls for generations to come.  Excellent timing for March is Women's History month, eh?

1918:  Russian Communist Party founded (previously known as the Bolshevik party)

1841:  Amistad ruling in the US (you'll need to Google, would take too long to explain this historic ruling)

1945:  America firebombs Tokyo, killing 100,000, more than the official death toll of either atomic bomb attack on Japan.

1995:  Notorious B.I.G. murdered in LA.

1916:  Germany declares war on Portugal.  Because, you know, the Germans needed more people to fight than the Russians, French, and British...

3 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Well, on 3/9 we've had:

1959:  Barbie makes her debut, thus setting physically impossible standards of "beauty" for girls for generations to come.  Excellent timing for March is Women's History month, eh?

1918:  Russian Communist Party founded (previously known as the Bolshevik party)

1841:  Amistad ruling in the US (you'll need to Google, would take too long to explain this historic ruling)

1945:  America firebombs Tokyo, killing 100,000, more than the official death toll of either atomic bomb attack on Japan.

1995:  Notorious B.I.G. murdered in LA.

1916:  Germany declares war on Portugal.  Because, you know, the Germans needed more people to fight than the Russians, French, and British...

Words cannot express how badly I'm stressed out right now because you didn't put these in chronological order. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

Words cannot express how badly I'm stressed out right now because you didn't put these in chronological order. 

Well I thought about it but I'm told I am too rigid about such things, so I was trying to be more lackadaisical.  ..

• Haha 2

1862 - U.S.S. Monitor battles C.S.S. Virginia

On March 9, 1862, one of the most famous naval battles in American history occurs as two ironclads, the U.S.S. Monitor and the C.S.S. Virginia, fight to a draw off Hampton Roads, Virginia. The ships pounded each other all morning but their armor plates easily deflected the cannon shots, signaling a new era of steam-powered iron ships.

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29b5c0057f05869d96d5

Note: I started to build this post on the “pounded each other all morning” line from the article but......censors

-March 10, 1862 US issues 1st paper money in the form of $5, $10, $20, $50, $100, $500 and $1000 notes.
-Carlos Ray "Chuck" Norris (born March 10, 1940) is an American martial artist, actor, film producer and screenwriter. 

dollar gif2.gif

Born today:

Sir Michael Caine 
Born: Maurice Joseph Micklewhite, 14th March 1933 in London, England, United Kingdom 

Known For : English film actor best known for his cockney accent, he has appeared in major movies for more than 50 years including The Ipcress File, Alfie, The Italian Job, Educating Rita, Battle of Britain, A Bridge Too Far, The Cider House Rules and new Batman film series. He has been Oscar-nominated six times winning twice as best supporting actor for Hannah and Her Sisters and The Cider House Rules. He got his first big break in the 1964 film Zulu playing an upper class British Army officer Gonville Bromhead VC ( No Cockney accent. He was knighted in 2000 by Queen Elizabeth II and although called Sir Michael Caine his official title is "Sir Maurice Micklewhite" In real life off screen his still uses his original name Maurice Micklewhite. He still lives in Britain and is an avid fan of Chelsea FC.  

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f291543e06941fa0b9dff

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AmandaKeen said:

In real life off screen his still uses his original name Maurice Micklewhite. He still lives in Britain and is an avid fan of Chelsea FC.  

Apparently, he's recently changed his name legally to 'Michael Caine' because he finally got tired of the hours spent in airport passport control rooms due to confusion with his real name on his passport!
As for being a fan of Chelsea?....Very unfortunate, I feel for the guy!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1590 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.