Who is the mobile viewer even for?

I have been watching the relative non-evolution of the mobile viewer, and I am just left wondering who in the hell it is geared toward? This is how it appears on an M4 iPad Pro:
image0.thumb.jpg.7665f13c53d920d6d0179cebc646b566.jpg

How has so much time and effort been spent on this? I can't imagine this will bring in new users, or please existing users if it is this bad on high end mobile. I am all for having a mobile client, but this one just leaves me confused at what on earth they are thinking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 2

People keep posting these weird glitches, but I've had none of this on my android phone or my ipad... The most I got was the skins on human avatars temporarily loading as blank black textures sometimes.

Other than that, mobile has been a nice way to log into SL while i'm at work. Of course, SL's absolutely DEAD at that time, so I've stopped using it as much though... -.-

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

I have been watching the relative non-evolution of the mobile viewer, and I am just left wondering who in the hell it is geared toward? This is how it appears on an M4 iPad Pro:

How has so much time and effort been spent on this? I can't imagine this will bring in new users, or please existing users if it is this bad on high end mobile. I am all for having a mobile client, but this one just leaves me confused at what on earth they are thinking.

It does seem like it is further behind now then when they first introduced it. I wonder looking at your picture if PBR isn't working so well on the mobile.

Mobile was pretty popular when Lumiya came out having sold quite a few on Google play and I personally think if LL had just stayed on the path that the Lumiya dev initially laid out in hers, the SL Mobile viewer would have been done and pretty popular as I think it will be with new people looking for VW's on Google Play and the Apple stores.

Maybe it is a case of too many devs spoiling the code and trying to jam too many things into the mix.                            

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

image0.thumb.jpg.7665f13c53d920d6d0179cebc646b566.jpg

0_wlDWXyFtkWD-mpGw.jpg.b0e9b30f741c732d9058466fcc8bf575.jpg

🤭

• Haha 9

Remember, mobile devices are the future! :D

22 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Not having one significantly limits the percentage of the population who could at the least try SL out and that percentage grows daily as mobile devices take over from desktops.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, belindacarson said:

It's just had an update on Android this morning "added support for plus users".

That makes me, at least, wonder what features "Plus" users (assuming it means "Premium Plus") would get or see differently.  (I am PP, and already use both the iOS and Android apps.)

The latest emails I got about an update on the iOS app, said nothing about what changed. The areas of the communication intended for that purpose were blank.

The weekly "feedback" emails also did not indicate any bugs actually being addressed, from what I saw at least.

1 hour ago, Aiyumei said:

Remember, mobile devices are the future! :D

Seems that way as among my own acquaintances, many more have a mobile device that could run a SL mobile viewer then have a computer able to run one. Nowadays a cellphone is pretty much a necessity whereas a computer, especially a gaming one, is a luxury.

Edited by Arielle Popstar
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That makes me, at least, wonder what features "Plus" users (assuming it means "Premium Plus") would get or see differently.  (I am PP, and already use both the iOS and Android apps.)

The latest emails I got about an update on the iOS app, said nothing about what changed. The areas of the communication intended for that purpose were blank.

The weekly "feedback" emails also did not indicate any bugs actually being addressed, from what I saw at least.

The app updated this morning, and in the "what's new" notes it said added support for plus users.  I'd guess they're about to add it to plus accounts too.

Also in the downloads said 10000+

6 minutes ago, belindacarson said:
36 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The app updated this morning, and in the "what's new" notes it said added support for plus users.  I'd guess they're about to add it to plus accounts too.

Also in the downloads said 10000+

Ahah, "Plus" not "Premium Plus".  Sorry, I forgot those exist so misunderstood what it could mean.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Nothing. In true LL style, they open up the app to the most 'loyal' or 'invested' customers (subscribers) that will most likely upvote the app. It's that simple.
It's too bad, because the REAL feedback, the REAL effect and results of releasing an app to NORMAL consumers - can be conveniently ignored. Sure that's where a lot of trolls or SL haters giving LL back some karma - can add some negativity, but out of that also is a lot of honesty that LL needs to hear to be able to create a top-knotch product that will get them to their goals.

It's a bit cringe to see Obwerwolf pretty much begging for good reviews "Come on guys, give it a good rating so we can succeed there" instead of "Hey guys, don't hold back, give us your honest reviews, because we want this to be the best app to access SL through mobile ever!"

Edited by Cynite00
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Cynite00 said:

Nothing. In true LL style, they open up the app to the most 'loyal' or 'invested' customers (subscribers) that will most likely upvote the app. It's that simple.
It's too bad, because the REAL feedback, the REAL effect and results of releasing an app to NORMAL consumers - can be conveniently ignored. Sure that's where a lot of trolls or SL haters giving LL back some karma - can add some negativity, but out of that also is a lot of honesty that LL needs to hear to be able to create a top-knotch product that will get them to their goals.

It's a bit cringe to see Obwerwolf pretty much begging for good reviews "Come on guys, give it a good rating so we can succeed there" instead of "Hey guys, don't hold back, give us your honest reviews, because we want this to be the best app to access SL through mobile ever!"

The thing really isn't ready for reviews at all at this point, and no matter how "loyal" the tester may be, it's just silly to be either encouraging or discouraging about it, but if somebody insists on reviewing it already, it may as well not taint its future forever, once it becomes something like a real app.

It's impossible to express how far from ready this app is. But that's not the real problem at the moment. The larger problem is that I really doubt the developers have any idea what all needs fixing. At this point, it's not from "loyalty" that bug reports are scarce, it's that, first, so much goes wrong that it's hard to know where to start, and second, it's impossible to tell what's been reported and/or is being worked on. Canny is utterly useless for that purpose, especially if the development practice is to transfer bugs out of Canny into an internal system, where any progress is invisible to testers, and there are no detailed release notes when unannounced updates ooze into distribution.

This is the absolute worst user testing regimen I've ever seen for anything, ever. Nothing even comes close.

So a couple weeks ago I tried the gentlest possible nudge: https://feedback.secondlife.com/mobile-public-beta-features/p/mobile-user-group-meeting-or-other-more-interactive-engagement-with-testers . I mean, a user group maybe isn't what's really needed, I dunno, but it would be a baby step towards the kind of engagement required to get meaningful user feedback.

As negative as all this sounds, I'm still kind of amazed at how cool the SL world looks on a mobile device (the parts that work, I mean), and how reasonable it is to operate (the operations it supports, that is).

I do not think, however, that the planned initial feature set will qualify as a viable public release. I realize that supporting L$-based purchasing through the viewer is a big complicated deal, so maybe that can wait, but there's an awful lot of basic world navigation that requires interacting with script dialog boxes, and I think it would be setting up users for extreme frustration not to even see permissions requests, for example, so they have no way of guessing why they've hit a dead end.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I will even watch TikTok videos etc. on my phone WHILE using my PC.

I’m the same 🫣😂
That’s why I want it to work on my cellphone and iPad bc then I could get in while at lunch break 😍

Edited by Zrina Nebula
Just for fun
  • Thanks 1