The disillusionment of voice

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 89 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Toothless Draegonne said:

smol fluffbird talking like a BBC news presenter

Delightful! I love when the voice doesn't match the avatar, here in SL or I have seen it with V-Tubers or steam friends not matching their profile pictures too. I am generally easy to impress so I typically am fond of friends voices once I hear them, and enjoy their accent or find some other feature I like. There is just something cute about voices not matching. Two examples I can think of, when our raiding guild found out our main tank (a beefy orc) was like a 13 year old kid after hearing him talk and in SL a friend of mine is a guy with a cute little pony av but of course when he talks its the voice of a grown man.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Midnoot said:

People like this come in acting like every female they talk to is a possible future wife and that's why it hits them so hard when it turns out to be not their type .

I kind of agree with this. Generally, men talk to women in sl to get something out if it. God forbid they should pixel slap with an old smoker. 

• Like 8

8 hours ago, BillFletcher said:

I recently had an interesting experience. I met this woman in SL. She was attractive and seemed sophisticated and all.

We hung out and chatted a few times and we were hitting it off well. Then she asked me to voice with her. Hearing her on voice however destroyed the illusion. She didn't sound at all like the woman she seemed to be in SL when she only communicated through IMs, and every time after that, even if we didn't voice. I couldn't get that new voice impression of her out of my head. She has become much less attractive to me, even though nothing has changed other than me hearing her talk to me on voice. I am wondering if others have had similar experiences or if I am the only one. 

you should date sl singer, they have good voice

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

When you're with someone there's other variables that, when considered, can be advantageous to understand meaning better. For example, even something that seems so trivial as the land music can affect one's thoughts (I know you don't have music open in SL, but the other person might, and so it could be influencing their thought or mood). Our emotions, our moods, very much play into our cognitive processes.  Likewise, the environment two people are in can affect emotions or mood. Often these influences are subconscious unless brought to the forefront.

In other words, we really are not just left-brain communicators as if we're writing some sort of script.

You may communicate that way, and you may communicate faster blocking out all these variables, but it's not a sign of increased intelligence. In fact, it's a sign of less intelligence as important variables are being ignored.

Besides all kinds of distractions inworld, when in IM, I am probably one of those who appear to be 'slower' inworld, simply because English is not my native language - so I may have to think a bit longer to get my point across in the right words. That doesn't mean my IQ is suddenly dropping. Well,  I hope it's not!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, BillFletcher said:

I recently had an interesting experience. I met this woman in SL. She was attractive and seemed sophisticated and all.

We hung out and chatted a few times and we were hitting it off well. Then she asked me to voice with her. Hearing her on voice however destroyed the illusion. She didn't sound at all like the woman she seemed to be in SL when she only communicated through IMs, and every time after that, even if we didn't voice. I couldn't get that new voice impression of her out of my head. She has become much less attractive to me, even though nothing has changed other than me hearing her talk to me on voice. I am wondering if others have had similar experiences or if I am the only one. 

I've been surprised on occasion by someone's real life voice, but never disappointed. It never changed the way I felt about them.

• Like 3

The same reason I have when I say I prefer to read tutorials instead of watching a tutorial video.

Most are really annoying to listen to. I can't remember any good voices in videos. Maybe one per 50.

It is not just how they sound, it is the mumbling and emm ah um in every sentence.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

I kind of agree with this. Generally, men talk to women in sl to get something out if it. God forbid they should pixel slap with an old smoker. 

Smoky-Beast-smoke.thumb.jpg.39c1a72c4aa40a8f37906fbfff9e114d.jpg

Edited by JacksonBollock
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Midnoot said:

I hear this used as an excuse to avoid voice chat altogether all the time. It's sickening to be honest. You build a preconceived vision of what YOU want someone to be and then YOU hold them to a false standard that you've created, and when they shatter that illusion, YOU act is they've done something wrong.

" I avoid voice because it ruins my immersion" A lot of people will say, as if SL is just a play that they're trying to produce, and if yu don't fit the part, you're out.

Second Life IS just a play one is trying to produce. There are plenty of dating sites out there for those that want  that "real" connection.

I met my partner on IRC. After a few weeks we decided to talk ON THE PHONE.

After a few more weeks we decided to meet in person.

We met on IRC 27 years ago this coming Labor day, and have been married 26 years this past April.

So yea, I'm personally writing a play in here. I never ever want to meet you in rl, and i never ever want to hear your raspy, phleghmy, wheezing voice while my play is being produced.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Second Life IS just a play one is trying to produce. There are plenty of dating sites out there for those that want  that "real" connection.

I met my partner on IRC. After a few weeks we decided to talk ON THE PHONE.

After a few more weeks we decided to meet in person.

We met on IRC 27 years ago this coming Labor day, and have been married 26 years this past April.

So yea, I'm personally writing a play in here. I never ever want to meet you in rl, and i never ever want to hear your raspy, phleghmy, wheezing voice while my play is being produced.

The ironic part is that theyre seriously using second life as a dating site. 😭

When you start including " actors" in your play  who didn't agree to be an actor , that's when the disappointment begins .

Edited by Midnoot

2 minutes ago, Midnoot said:

The ironic part is that theyre seriously using second life as a dating site. 😭

And that seriously blows my mind.

I guess I use SL as a dating site too, but for SECOND LIFE dates, not as a springboard to a rl relationship.

When anyone in here can be anything, someone is gonna meet and fall in love with an avatar and want to make a REAL LIFE with it?

I must confess, even I have "fallen in love" in here, or maybe its just fallen in lust,  but no matter how much i "love" them, we are never leaving second life, we are never ever having anything more. And I make that perfectly clear in my profile.

All my lovers in here know this is all that they are getting, and they are satisfied. And if they aren't satisfied , they better STFU about it, because the mute button is always only one click away.

• Like 2

People are generally better in the abstract. Doubly so for SL, which is why I don't use voice at all to listen or speak.  It's not that her voice disillusioned the OP, his expectations were really too high IMO.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Was it the voice of a man?

Hey, some of us resemble that remark! :)

Ever wondered what a 30-something redheaded woman sounds like with a voice that sounds not unlike Barry White?

The illusion would shatter pretty darn fast, I assure you ;)

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Modulated said:

People are generally better in the abstract. Doubly so for SL, which is why I don't use voice at all to listen or speak. 

I like chatting on voice but I'll definitely agree with the first part of this post. 

I’ve learned to appreciate the fact that I have a form of aphasia & can’t keep up with voice only conversations in SL (& for example I need closed captioning turned on the tv to know what is being said).  I’ve run into several individuals over the years who had zero interest in conversation unless it was via voice (which is their own prerogative) & their reasoning would vary but usually because they were afraid they were speaking to another man & not what they wanted to believe me to be.  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, AzureWaves said:

What did her voice sound like to you? why was it unattractive?

It really wasn’t just her voice, she spent several minute hemming and hawing over some question she wanted to ask me that she couldn’t remember. I kept thinking she should have just sent an IM when she first thought of it. Her voice however came across as making her sound a bit uncultured.

6 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Was she barking?

lol might as well have been, going on and on without actually saying anything.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Midnoot said:

I hear this used as an excuse to avoid voice chat altogether all the time.

Actually my primary reason for not using is that when I do SL I also listen to music. The music gets picked up by the mic and makes me hard to understand, so when I voice I have to turn it off, but I would rather not do that. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BillFletcher said:

lol might as well have been, going on and on without actually saying anything.

THIS^^

I don't often listen to voice chat and have only used it myself a handful of times over the years.  When I have listened, there is always one or two people who just ramble aimlessly.  As if anyone wants to hear that?  If it's one on one, I can see going into details about what's happening in your life but in general voice chat that everyone can hear?  Just no.  

Kind of reminds me of people out in public who talk so loud on their phones that everyone can hear.  I was waiting at the doctor's office a couple of week ago.  The woman a few seats over was talking loudly AND she had the volume up enough so I could hear both sides of the conversation.  A conversation I really had no business hearing nor did I want to hear.  At least in SL, I have the option NOT to hear those conversations.

• Like 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 89 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.