Featured News: Android Mobile Viewer

Arielle Popstar

51 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

I would guess you want a tablet with the strongest SoC (CPU/GPU) possible. I'm going to assume Qualcomm Snapdragon based products just based on some old knowledge of the space but no clue if things have changed these days. A little research says Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 is the top dog right now though.

I would also guess that you want something with 8GB+ of RAM and as high a resolution display as possible.

This kinda points to Samsung Galaxy Tab S9 Ultra but... I really, really dislike Samsung android devices due to how much they change the OS. There's the Xiaomi Pad 6S Pro 12.4 which seems similar as well apparently at $600 which seems like a whole lot for a tablet... the Samsung is over $1k :o

There's so much choice in the Android market when it comes to hardware, you really have to dig deep to find the specifications of every device and find how they actually perform. For most tasks it doesn't matter much but when we're talking 3D performance which will be critical for SL it's even more complicated than discussing PC hardware.

I find Samsung rather pricey for their offerings. I found this on Amazon and because I am interested in upgrading my tablet anyway, thought this one sounded pretty good:

https://www.tabletwizards.com/umidigi-2k-rugged-tablet-review/

• Like 1

Bummer... still have to wait to use it. I'm a lowly free user. Pfft. (But I buy stuff in SL d@##it!)

Anyone else try it on a midrange phone? Mine is from late 2021, a Samsung Galaxy a12 in the US, Simple Mobile model (now unlocked).

I do like that the Android app can be moved to the SD card to save some internal storage space. Some files remain internally if this is done, but a huge deal for us on low to midrange Android phones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel Voyager said:

This thread should be moved to the Mobile section of the Second Life Forums. 

That may usually be true, but right now "Mobile" is a hot topic and some people may miss posts in the "Mobile" subforum.  Many people browse the "General" Subforum.  (Personally, I use "Unread feed".)  So, I would support leaving the thread in General.

3 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

And how is the heating up of the IOS appliances? The android people are mentioning the heating up so  wondering if the iOS devices are the samein that way.

Well, let's just say that I have learned to close any other apps on my iPad that are open before running the SL mobile client... and i have noticed that my iPads (I have two I use, one is an 8th generation personal iPad, and the other is a newer iPad Pro 11 I use for work) do tend to get a bit warm when running the mobile client.

The two biggest outstanding problems I have encountered over six months are:

1) my Belleza Jake male mesh avatar does not display properly, although I have tested and Senra Blake/Jamie and Maitreya Lara(5.3 and X)/Lucybody Atenea do render correctly; and

2) I still routinely crash if I am in any club or event with more than 20-30 avatars in the vicinity, regardless of avatar rendering/debugging settings I choose.

I'm glad to hear that LL is now calling this an "open beta," so I am going to assume that I can now write about the mobile client on my blog. Having a greater pool of beta testers is always a good thing, in my opinion.

• Like 1

I can only imagine I have a potato of an Android 13 phone as the pic shows what I looked like a few minutes after logging in and getting to grips with the 'joystick'. A few moments later an avatar walked past me and they were a chalky outline. Edit: i'm using the latest version of Lara X no appliers just BoM

I liked that when it was logging me in it told me which region I was landing in, normally I log in/out of my mainland home but this time I'd logged at a shop & hop region.

I missed seeing all the notifications I normally get on login like from wearables or things I have rezzed in the local chat section. It's one of the things that reassured me that login was successful.

If I am ever back in hospital or some other reason I have to have an extended stay away from my computer I can see it being useful if only to pay my rent box. At this moment in time I don't think I'd be using in place of my regular viewer if I don't have to 

Screenshot_20240627-170539.thumb.png.22398c4c54790612a91ecf1aa2667745.png

Edited by Claireschen Hesten
add info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if it makes any difference that i logged in as a premium account first, but i managed to successfully log my definitely not premium male alt in which i used to do, with Lumiya on my old phone when i wanted to try out furniture animations. it looks like i won't need to dig out my old phone anymore when i next need to do it 

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I find Samsung rather pricey for their offerings. I found this on Amazon and because I am interested in upgrading my tablet anyway, thought this one sounded pretty good:

https://www.tabletwizards.com/umidigi-2k-rugged-tablet-review/

The battery capacity on that one is great. I have a 7k mAh battery on mine and it lasts days using it to read (i read everyday for hours). If you're gonna use that tab for SL, the 10k battery will be a must esp if you're actually mobile with it.

• Like 1

The renderings not good but being honest neither was Lumiya's. Hopefully LL can make it better with time.

I'm just happy that we're going to get something that has real people working and maintaining it than relying on software that has long been abandoned and could stop working at any update forever if something happens to break compatibility.

On 6/26/2024 at 3:08 PM, Arielle Popstar said:

It is finally here at least for Premium+ members and soon free to everyone else!

IOS too for those that care. Available at a Playstore near you.

This at least for some of us is better news then the PBR viewers.

so, we could get an emulator and play the mobil ap on our computers that are hopelessly out of date?

i tried it on my iphone 8. my old pc loads faster. a lot of stuff was black, textures weren't right, or it wouldn't load. my dinkie was also weird, i think what i'm seeing is the default avatar that should be hidden instead of the dinkie. screens way to small for me to ever attempt playing sl on it even if it worked. i havent owned a tablet in a few years bc i barely used it.IMG_3859.thumb.PNG.cb665a62ecf5121d2a239a10a668f663.PNGIMG_3857.thumb.PNG.25386a4ee9d55a418bd62f7ddd3ed2bc.PNG

Edited by Devilgrey

I kind of expected that everything would sort of look like poop at first, but hey, it's still a step towards something that might actually work, given time and further development.

I honestly thought that it would be longer before they managed to get this far with it all, what with the processing gap between different types of devices. I guess the gap is closing a little faster than I'd anticipated.

So yeah, looks like poo, but it's just getting off the ground. I think they'll manage to make it work decently given a little time.

Just tried it on my android phone (samsung galaxy s9+, custom rom).

Several graphical issues: wrong textures, some planar textures not displaying correctly, some textures with wrong alpha mode, animated textures sliding in the wrong direction, no hover-text.

Can't touch anything or sit down (unless I just missed what the correct input is).

HUDs are invisible, but ~do affect your avatar.

Movement controls worked fine for me once things had rezzed in enough I could see what I was doing (logging in to an indoors area was a bad idea)

Only supports portrait orientation, and expects you to be left-thumbed (I tried right thumb at first, and was very confused for the first 20 seconds, of trying to put my thumb on 'the bottom of the screen' and the control ui not popping up)

The mobile viewer seems to let you IM yourself.

And yes, it didn't kick me off of my adult home.

Edited by Quistess Alpha

5 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

Can't touch anything or sit down (unless I just missed what the correct input is).

I had to ask about this, too, so they're not making it obvious. It requires a long touch of the object, then you get a choice of Touch or Sit. And that's a long touch.

There must be more Mobile viewer bugs reported from all those months of Prem+ beta testing than the few I can see in Canny. (But how to find them? Canny is a way worse bug tracker than this Mobile version is a viewer.)

I've mostly tried it on iPad; until I saw this thread I thought the Android version wasn't available yet, but I guess that's just the Play store taking forever to update search. Also, until I saw this thread I never even thought to look at how it renders my avatar skin (not good).

It's not just me that teleports within a region leave the cam behind and detach all control from the avatar, right? That's what usually gets me stuck until I teleport somewhere else.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

the Play store taking forever to update search.

It was almost impossible to find it in the play store with all the bad search results. Nobody is downloading this viewer unless they know exactly what they want and can put in effort to find it. (tip: search "linden lab")

I had to ask about this, too, so they're not making it obvious. It requires a long touch of the object, then you get a choice of Touch or Sit. And that's a long touch.

Ahh, I didn't think to try that. I looked in the options for a "please explain how to do basic things" menu, but didn't find it. Tap seems to be a pretty standard analog to clicking for mobile apps, if they use something different, it needs to be tutorialized.

There must be more Mobile viewer bugs reported from all those months of Prem+ beta testing than the few I can see in Canny. (But how to find them? Canny is a way worse bug tracker than this Mobile version is a viewer.)

https://feedback.secondlife.com/mobile-public-beta-bugs

Yeah, seems odd there aren't many more, but most of the bugs are so obvious it seems silly to report them.

Edited by Quistess Alpha
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dorientje Woller said:

What I fail to understand ... the choice of creating an app for mobile devices, but as consoles are getting more powerfull forgetting to create a viewer that can run on XBox and/or Playstation.

lol good luck getting Microsoft or Sony to approve SL for consoles, that'd be a level above even getting Apple to allow it on their app store.

Edited by AmeliaJ08