21 Years In Second Life ❤️‍🔥

Posted (edited)

May 16th was my 21st rezday, which seems absolutely crazy to me. I can’t believe that not only am I still in SL, I am having more fun with it than I ever have. Second Life continues to excite and frustrate me in equal measure, which is quite a feat. I was in the hospital and missed  my 20th, so this rezday feels particularly special. I am happy that SL continues to thrive (and me within it), and that there are still moments that are as magical to me as the first time I realized “holy *****, I can build and be  anything I want”.

I have recently started working on a line of clothing and discovered why rigging makes creators want to murder people. It is exciting to continue to try new challenges. While I am less familiar with this community here than those on my own site (and SLUniverse before it), I got my start in the original SL forums in 2003 and will always have a fondness for them. I do know many of you here and I am even luckier to call some of you dear friends. Not SL friends or RL friends, just my friends.

The events of the past 2 years of my life have shown me that things can change in an instant and nothing is certain. I am very lucky to still be here, in my first and second lives. Not to get too sentimental, but thank you to Linden Lab and to the Second Life community for 21 years of something remarkable. It has been a gift ❤️

Edited by Cristiano Midnight
  • Like 39
  • Thanks 5

Congratulations.  That was an encouraging post.  I like to think that LL are pleased about SL account longevity, and they could go some way towards that by remembering to send cake.  If you didn't get cake, then make a noise about it. :)

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Let's see.

• 0-1 Newbie
  • 1-3 Novice
  • 3-6 Competent
  • 6-9 Proficient
  • 10-12 Oldbies
  • 12-14 Honored Elder
  • 14-17 Old Fart
  • 17-20 Ancient Windmaster

Cris, sorry we don't have a rank for you.   Any suggestions?

Edited by Madi Melodious
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Madi Melodious said:

Let's see.

• 0-1 Newbie
  • 1-3 Novice
  • 3-6 Competent
  • 6-9 Proficient
  • 10-12 Oldbies
  • 12-14 Honored Elder
  • 14-17 Old Fart

I was attacked a few months ago in my forums by someone that was either high, crazy, or possibly semi-sentient AI (or all of the above), and they called me a Cosmos Betraying Fiend.  That works for me.

Edited by Cristiano Midnight
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:
54 minutes ago, Madi Melodious said:

I was attacked a few months ago in my forums by someone that was either high, crazy, or possibly semi-sentient AI (or all of the above), and they called me a Cosmos Betraying Fiend.  That works for me.

Ancient Windmaster + Cosmos Betraying Fiend = "Ancient Wind Breaker"!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Maitimo said:

Congratulations @Cristiano Midnight that's an awesome experience.

A question or two for you - what do you miss most about the very old days (like pre-2007), and what do you like best about the way SL is now?

As far as what I miss, that early sense of community where we literally knew everyone it seemed. Having the same last name was also kind of bonding - all of the Midnights were creators and friends (hell I even went on to become  involved in RL with one). It felt like we were founding a brand new world, and we were in essence.

I think now what appeals to me in SL is the quality of content that is available . While old school prim builds have their charm, mesh really dramatically improved the way the world looks. The same goes for the avatars, though I do think they have lost some of their quirky uniqueness in the march to supermodel status of avis. Still, it has been quite a journey going from those early avis to now.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Roxy Couturier said:

Cris, I'm super happy you're still around. You've done a lot to foster SL communities and I'm very grateful for that.

Happy rez day and here's to 21 more!

Thank you, Roxy! That really means a lot ❤️

• Like 1

Happy 21st, but I've been acquainted with you for longer than that. I doubt you'll remember me, but I was Athena_M in There. I remember seeing you all the time back in those days though I don't remember ever speaking directly with you; however, we'd quite often be standing in the same crowd of people. Glad you're still here. Last year we were all so worried about you. 

• Like 1

Belated yes, but still sent with all the gusto, surprise, elation and best wishes for you 21'st.
Not as old as yourself but we (friends and I) would hang at 'Help Island', assisting noobs.  Lots of fun times, and million unforgettable laughs!

Thanks for reminding me of those times :)

• Like 1