Thunes to acquire payments platform Tilia LLC

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Same for me. If Elon bought it I would have some level of confidence and hope that it would be of benefit to residents. I'd suspect a major purge of employees but that might just be what is needed.

Plus he supports free speech.  😁

*goes on a roadside micro parcel buying spree, because you just never know* 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Plus he supports free speech.  😁

*goes on a roadside micro parcel buying spree, because you just never know* 😂

Gawd, if Second life became the new town square, I'd have to leave just because of all the attention it got..

I can just see it now, texts trending on all the news sites.. Ceka Cianci, a well known tease, drives man to blood loss in his upper head, which in turn caused this poor man to go insane and run into the mercantile exchange to hold everyone hostage for three days. Which in turn caused the current financial crisis  we are facing in the country today..

More plus, actual text messages at 11..

I hate when that happens and don't need others finding out how half of these things start up!! \o/

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

I could see it now, Elon Musk purchases LL for 42,000,000,000 USD.  Initially it was just a meme joke, but the lawyers held him up to his arrangement.  He tries to get out of the purchase by claiming the majority of SL is bots, it doesn't work, he is forced to buy the company. 

Everyone is required to secure a membership, or they can not view the forums at all, censorship is thought to have been banished by the people who are not being censored, everyone else that was censored is not considered to have been censored as they were agents of evil, the forums become his new playground, accompanied by an army of bots (with premium plus memberships, their posts are elevated above all others) Free speech reigns, at a cost, and censorship has been self proclaimed to have been abolished on the platform.  We become more of a 4chan board, but with AI.

After running the company in debt for the next two decades paid by the citizens of the US through various subsidies, which elon invests in his other companies, then sells his shares from, he eventually decides the platform requires a neural implant to play, unless you are a bot.  

The plan is to make Second Life, into real life, an everything app.

Great job Linden Lab, and it all started with you selling Tilia, you enslaved us all!!!!11one!!eleven

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

New post about what we are discussing, include the RoundTable.

https://community.secondlife.com/blogs/entry/15487-lab-gab-update-on-tilia-acquisition-new-community-roundtable/

Note: Initially, the official post showed "Video not available", so at that time I linked directly to the YouTube video below:

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

• Community Manager

Linden Lab Executive Chairman Oberwolf Linden has just posted a Q&A interview answering many of your questions about Thunes and their agreement to acquire Tilia. Topics covered include details about the acquisition agreement, what to expect next, and how it impacts the Second Life community. There's also more news about our Community Roundtable, too.

https://community.secondlife.com/blogs/entry/15487-lab-gab-update-on-tilia-acquisition-new-community-roundtable/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 11

28 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

In the video, it "sounds" like they are discussing some of the concerns brought up in this thread.

I'm half way trough by now, and where Oberwolf is talking about makes sense so far.
And yes, this thread is one of the reasons for this Lab Gab IMHO.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It sounds like from the video that some of the major beneficiaries will be non-US users, who will have easier exchanges between their currencies and linden dollars. Oberwolf says US users probably won't notice much difference.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The part about the reasons to sell Tilia was convincing. I think it was probably the right choice to do so.
The part about the money and the (possibly) changing fees, not so much. So I put me on the Wait And See - list about that part.

It was good to hear that Oberwolf likes Linden Lab and Second Life, but that says nothing about the future of Second Life IMHO. A peanut farmer loves their peanuts too and enjoys to grow, harvest and store them, but still sells them if they get a good price for them.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 7

27 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I like how Oberwolf emphasizes that he cares about Second Life.

I believe him!

I liked how he seems to be interested in owning a virtual world that he is not fully in control of  and that he feels SL’s continued existence is important for the world. It demonstrates his motivation for continued ownership, beyond just the bottom line.

• Like 7

Guess I will comment without taking notes and just watching the lab gab once (so I could be wrong):

LL sold Tilia because "it didn't work out, was too expensive to operate, and SL was their only customer."  Sounds like Tilia was not profitable, and needed a rescue.

Thunes was the ideal suitor because they offered a worldwide money transmitter network that Tilia did not have, and agreed to a 5 year contract favorable to LL and Tilia employees.

The proceeds from the Tilia sale will be used where ever it will increase SL income, and/or increase new users. (Or it could all go into Treasury Bills.)

Don't worry about security of your account, because Thunes will only control your money, and not your personal preferences/information in SL.

Because each state has to approve this new money transmitter company, the time frame before Tilia becomes Thunes is 5 to 9 months.  Or January 2025 if all goes well.  This is confusing, since we heard the reason for Thunes wanting Tilia was Tilia was already approved as a money transmitter in the 48 states and territories.

Anything else of substance, other than the expected enthusiasm about this deal from Oberwolf?

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Porky Gorky said:

I liked how he seems to be interested in owning a virtual world that he is not fully in control of  and that he feels SL’s continued existence is important for the world. It demonstrates his motivation for continued ownership, beyond just the bottom line.

True, by comparing Tilia / Thune to "Square", he basically was saying it's not that critical. He didn't use the term  I would have used "enabling technology", but similar.

He also was tactful by responding to a concern with "all concerns are valid" then explaining why that specific concern does not apply. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

The part about the money and the (possibly) changing fees, not so much.

Yeah, I'd have to watch again to catch this part. Not sure I care that much, since I'm barely impacted. Plus, "it could change".

13 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Because each state has to approve this new money transmitter company, the time frame before Tilia becomes Thunes is 5 to 9 months.  Or January 2025 if all goes well.  This is confusing, since we heard the reason for Thunes wanting Tilia was Tilia was already approved as a money transmitter in the 48 states and territories.

It is not confusing that new approvals are needed, the new owners are unknown on this market.. those will be investigated, ánd of course if all details meet the laws concerning banking.
The reason they buy a already certified bank is that it's ready to ride, not to build the techinical stuff themself.(=$$$)
In the meantime Tilia will keeps working as before.

• Like 4

1. Earlier in this thread we were reminded that VRChat signed up as a Tilia customer, but per Oberwolf, Tilia was apparently back down to just SL as its sole customer. Some messy transcription:

Well, Tilia is pretty expensive to run and if we could distribute that expense across multiple companies that would make it less expensive for us to run it at a time where it was costing us millions and millions of dollars to run it. That didn't work. Tilia wasn't overly successful in bringin on these other clients and so effectively, while it brought some on, they're not doing a ton of business and so Tilia was back to having Second Life as its only customer.

(Could just be rhetorical rounding error though, because VRChat still talks about Tilia in its ToS.)

2. About Oberwolf's "doubling-down" on SL. I think it's helpful to hear him present the hopeful side of M&A. In the case of Tilia, it turns a big liability on the Linden balance sheet into, for Thunes, a real asset: money transmitter licensing in the US.

The thing is, if ever there's a Thunes-equivalent for Second Life—another venture that can make SL more valuable for their business than it is as a standalone company—that would likely be for the best, even though it would mean change. I'm not arguing they should sell the place, and it's a nice vibe that he's so enthusiastic about extending its success, I'm just saying businesses don't do M&A to screw over customers.

3. Did I miss mention of Adult content? (I was multi-tasking so I could have spaced it off.)

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

LL sold Tilia because "it didn't work out, was too expensive to operate, and SL was their only customer."  Sounds like Tilia was not profitable, and needed a rescue.

I swear that I did not hear Oberwolf say anything like that. Weird!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yeah, I'd have to watch again to catch this part. Not sure I care that much, since I'm barely impacted. Plus, "it could change".

He was pretty much beating around the bush when Strawberry asked about possible increasing costs and fees IMHO.
The next years will give the answers.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Qie Niangao said:

1. Earlier in this thread we were reminded that VRChat signed up as a Tilia customer, but per Oberwolf, Tilia was apparently back down to just SL as its sole customer. Some messy transcription:

(Could just be rhetorical rounding error though, because VRChat still talks about Tilia in its ToS.)

2. About Oberwolf's "doubling-down" on SL. I think it's helpful to hear him present the hopeful side of M&A. In the case of Tilia, it turns a big liability on the Linden balance sheet into, for Thunes, a real asset: money transmitter licensing in the US.

The thing is, if ever there's a Thunes-equivalent for Second Life—another venture that can make SL more valuable for their business than it is as a standalone company—that would likely be for the best, even though it would mean change. I'm not arguing they should sell the place and it's just a nice vibe that he's so enthusiastic about extending its success, I'm just saying businesses don't do M&A to screw over customers.

3. Did I miss mention of Adult content? (I was multi-tasking so I could have spaced it off.)

It took me minute to figure out, "M&A"="Merges and Acquisitions".

Agree on #3. Although I listened with only 1 ear and 2 brain cells, I didn't hear it either.

• Thanks 1