Would you get a Neuralink implant so you could play SL hands-free?

Just think...you could run around and type in chat at the same time, while eating crisps or knitting B| Or 'think-build' objects instead of fiddling around with the camera controls...or just speed through Marketplace listings 👍 Or would you feel it's too risky? 🤔

• Like 8

It is too risky for me, plus I don't like the idea of wired needles being shoved into my brain at different locations, I would worry about infection, or blood vessels being hit, plus the possibility of my body trying to reject it, then how long the would be effective until the brain gunk buildup on the electrodes rendered them inoperable..  The technology is too new, there are too many risks, not enough people have had it done, and it is not necessary.

I do think there have been electrodes people can use that do not require surgery to move things around on computers already.

If I needed it, I would do it, but I would rather find less invasive ways to control my screen.  Now, say that there was proven technology out there, the risks were few, it was long lasting, and I could do more than just move a cursor on the screen sure.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Istelathis said:

It is too risky for me, plus I don't like the idea of wired needles being shoved into my brain at different locations, I would worry about infection, or blood vessels being hit, plus the possibility of my body trying to reject it.

Yes, those things freak me out too 😖 Or just the thought of anything touching your brain :/

I do wonder if it would help people who've suffered paralysis to have a better SL experience? So much of SL is still based on being able to use a keyboard...it would be cool if it could help people to 'think-type' or connect to an AI voice app...but I don't really know much about this technology and know some people here really don't like or trust Elon Musk...🤔

• Like 4

I decide: No.

I still have trouble with the 5G connection with Bill Gates in my arms, thanks to the Corona jabs.
That guy keeps dabbling and dabbling about apples or something.

🙀

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Haha 9

57 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Just think...you could run around and type in chat at the same time, while eating crisps or knitting B| Or 'think-build' objects instead of fiddling around with the camera controls...or just speed through Marketplace listings 👍 Or would you feel it's too risky? 🤔

You know I was thinking after I posted that it might sound good until your link hits lag. That would suck going through all that and then LAG.

giphy.gif

Edited by Modulated
  • Like 4

It's an interesting idea.

Would we just be talking about being able to give a computer inputs or are we talking two way?

I get the feeling either would be quite intense for some people. Something I have always suffered from when playing video games (or Second Life) is the stomach floaty feeling when falling, it can sometimes be quite strong and it has nothing to do with realistic visuals. Doesn't happen when watching movies either, it always happens when I am in control of the game.

I just think that physical side effects like that could become quite hard to manage if you have even more direct control over a game and that's before even considering what it might be like if you feed the image back in to our monkey brains.

Interesting but scary. We might just have to stand around shuffling our feet and doing nothing... so maybe it's perfect for SL.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 3

I have an obvious (in retrospect) thought:  

If we get neurolinks for an SL interface, we should also get a Second Life "superpower".

Ideas: 

- Switch outfits instantly with a thought 

- Animate real-time using your mind

- Discern Alts and Bots 

- Cause / Experience SL-"euphoria" ('gasms)

- Instantly build / change environment with just a thought 

• Like 2

I quote Iain M. Banks' novel 'Excession', from the Culture series:

One of the exhibits which she discovered, towards the end of her wanderings, she did not understand. It was a little bundle of what looked like thin, glisteningly blue threads, lying in a shallow bowl; a net, like something you'd put on the end of a stick and go fishing for little fish in a stream. She tried to pick it up; it was impossibly slinky and the material slipped through her fingers like oil; the holes in the net were just too small to put a finger-tip through. Eventually she had to tip the bowl up and pour the blue mesh into her palm. It was very light. Something about it stirred a vague memory in her, but she couldn't recall what it was. She asked the ship what it was, via her neural lace.

~ That is a neural lace, it informed her. ~ A more exquisite and economical method of torturing creatures such as yourself has yet to be invented.

She gulped, quivered again and nearly dropped the thing.

~ Really? she sent, and tried to sound breezy. ~ Ha. I'd never really thought of it that way.

~ It is not generally a use much emphasised.

~ I suppose not, she replied, and carefully poured the fluid little device back into its bowl on the table.

So... no.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

I think one would need to be singularly focused which I wouldn't be able to do for long periods and even that would take some training. I'd rather have a voice controlled system where I could not only use voice for text, (which I already do a lot of) but also use voice control for the operating system and viewer/app which I believe is possible given the motivation to set it up.

The neuralink sounds great but the need for an invasive procedure doesn't seem like a wonderful thing as there'd too many potentials for it to go wrong whether in immediate or long term effects.

• Like 2

So, just think what the first person who had a tooth implant screwed into their jawbone thought...   Or the first man with a total face implant thought, or the gal with a new pacemaker thought (my sister has one, as does my father and uncle) I do not think this technology would be ideal for games (secondlife) nor should it be used as such. 

It has real life practical uses. People who have not been able to move their arms and legs might be more inclined to give it a go. I think the technology is brilliant and can absolutely be useful.

Noland Arbaugh sure thinks it great. And, alas he is playing chess... 

OK, I might retract my should not be used for games, because it might just be excellent for some people. But normal people no.

I'd give it a go though.

Edited by SpiritSparrow Skydancer
  • Like 1