Would you get a Neuralink implant so you could play SL hands-free?

52 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

I remember that movie a few years back --- People living via surrogates until the main computer got shut down.

I also trust anything from Musk as far I can toss a steamship.

I'd trust anything from the other potential Players even less, so there is that. Prefer it from one of the Big Pharma's?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I'd trust anything from the other potential Players even less, so there is that. Prefer it from one of the Big Pharma's?

Musk is an interesting character, there are things I like about him and things that really just set me off about him.  He reminds me of a modern day Steve Jobs, with his hands in just about everything.  He pushes extraordinarily hard for technological progression, which is a plus and he inspires millions which I appreciate.  I will not go into detail as to what bothers me about him, because that would just derail the thread into oblivion, plus he has some incredibly faithful supporters.  The guy is a cult of personality.

I will say, I have been very hard on him in the past, to the point that it has blinded me to some of what he has accomplished, which is unfair of me.  Watching a Falcon rocket fly across the sky the other day, gave me a bit of appreciation of just how much he does push for technological progress.  (It hurts saying that, he makes for a great arch villain, Anubis will have to do for now)

One thing I found interesting, while browsing virtual verse is that apparently, Microsoft is pushing for NPUs (neural processing units) for computer hardware, as they would like to have AI run locally.  While I don't trust Microsoft, especially considering all of us using it right now have a keylogger enabled by default sending everything we type to their data servers and being scraped for whatever it is worth, I do at the very least like that it is pushing for a means to host AI locally, rather than remain reliant upon centralized services.. that is the way it should be.  Still, I know they will get their grubby hands on everything they can to turn a profit.

I would not be opposed to one day having the capacity to brain to machine interfaces, so long as there was a layer of privacy protection, it wouldn't matter who created it so long as we knew for certain our brains were not being fed a ton of ads, and we were not under constant supervision of some sort of thought police, fining us for having the audacity for being different.  I mean, certainly people who put pineapple on their pizza are absolute heathens, but they should have their privacy protected as well.

Edit:
As a sidenote, I think the cybertruck looks amazing 

/me runs for the hills.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 1

In the 1980s era of Cyberpunk this idea seemed really cool. Now in the 2020s after 4 decades of seeing compuer bugs, viruses, computer's getting hacked, and Alexa never quite understanding what you asked...

Definitely no.

Both the radical right and the radical left are full of conspiracy theories about the government putting microchips in us. The last thing we should do is make any of those wingnuts correct. ;)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

Both the radical right and the radical left are full of conspiracy theories about the government putting microchips in us. The last thing we should do is make any of those wingnuts correct. ;)

What possibly could go wrong?

• Haha 1

On 3/30/2024 at 1:09 PM, Bree Giffen said:

I've been getting notices on my computer to use the Microsoft Copilot AI. I haven't accepted to turn the thing on. 

don’t, it will spy on everything you do and report you to the authorities if you say or do anything deemed subversive.

Heck even turned off it is probably monitoring you. I’d click uninstal

”unable to uninstall microsoft copilot AI”

This has been noted and will be reported to the authorites.

😂

If it works as intended, it should make SL interactions more intuitive and efficient. Granted, stringent safety measures will be required as the improvements can be misused by griefers. But these problems are no different from what we face in RL with spam messages and account breaches, and can be solved in similar manner.

Another important issue I can see is not having the same level of precision with a neural interface that we have with keyboard and mouse. Maybe we can learn to adapt, or use AI to focus the neural instructions, or pair it with VR controllers to get the best results.

In spite of the caveats, I'm certain brain-computer interfacing is the way forward and would definitely try it.

On a lighter note, our pets would be able to join SL too 😆

Dog plays SL.gif

Let me get this strait your asking would I allow my Skull as well as the membrains that make up the Meninges to be cut open? As in Full Violation of the Case that protects the organ that makes up 100% of my personhood the organ that can't fully heal for an elective not nessasary for life preservation surgery just so I can better access and use SL?

d58xyqu-7acf30e0-fa2c-4550-a86e-56fa9017f9fd.png