Would you get a Neuralink implant so you could play SL hands-free?

20 minutes ago, SpiritSparrow Skydancer said:

So, just think what the first person who had a tooth implant screwed into their jawbone thought...   Or the first man with a total face implant thought, or the gal with a new pacemaker thought (my sister has one, as does my father and uncle) I do not think this technology would be ideal for games (secondlife) nor should it be used as such. 

It has real life practical uses. People who have not been able to move their arms and legs might be more inclined to give it a go. I think the technology is brilliant and can absolutely be useful.

Noland Arbaugh sure thinks it great. And, alas he is playing chess... 

OK, I might retract my should not be used for games, because it might just be excellent for some people. But normal people no.

I'd give it a go though.

I do hope that it gets applications to help people with disabilities who would benefit from it if they are willing to go through the process of course.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

I do hope that it gets applications to help people with disabilities who would benefit from it if they are willing to go through the process of course.

I think it is evolving and they are figuring out real world applications but I see this as hope for people who would not have had it before. Also, I wondered about stroke victims. I am excited I am alive in an age where things like this are being implemented! 

• Like 2

Neuralink?  The company that was taken over by Elon Musk?  ROFLMAO... I'd sooner let the crack head on the corner implant random things in my body.  At least I know what motivates that guy.  Musk is a junkie, but he's so rich, I have no idea why he does anything he does.  His insanity is too unpredictable for me.

I may someday consider neural cybernetics, when the science is settled and reliable, and the product isn't coming from a lunatic.

• Like 4

You guys do realize that Neuralink is just another way for the misgovernment to enslave the populace?  Musk has the contract.  You THINK you are getting control of 'things', but in fact the misgovernment is getting control of YOU.  And you pay for it!

• Sad 1

I've actually had a bit of a related philosophical crisis as part of growing up (somewhat). As a wee lass, I was an avid consumer of anything Cyberpunk or otherwise dystopian. Cybernetics are a huge part of these stories, a sort of way to turn a weakness into a super power. For a girl with a disability or as I like to say "...", that was mighty attractive and the idea of rebelling against the system was just tailor-made for a teenage girl with a chip on her shoulder and too much temperament.

For decades I never questioned the idea where those cybernetics would actually come from. Many of these stories were written in a time before Digital Rights Management (DRM) or Software as a Service (SaaS) were a thing. I've always wanted cybernetics. At least as a kid.

Nowadays? HOLY EMPEROR OF NOPE.

You just know some musky manchild is gonna switch off your implant over some stupid unrelated social media feud or your cybernetic arm will just flick off because wifi crashed. I can't even imagine wanting one anymore because I've got so very little trust in software companies these days.

• Like 5

I know my phone's spying on me, but I can toss it into a pond quickly and conveniently.

I trust my Neuralink will be spying on me, but I can't just get rid of it whenever I want.

So, no, absolutely not, for the sake of maintaining a decent level control over myself.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Adding: BSOD! ("Blue Screen of Death")

That quirky old name for the windows error screen could potentially become a lot more literal if you happen to be driving or operating heavy machinery!

We could soon be living in a world where fatal error messages precede actual fatalities..🤔

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

That quirky old name for the windows error screen could potentially become a lot more literal if you happen to be driving or operating heavy machinery!

We could soon be living in a world where fatal error messages precede actual fatalities..🤔

Two more words: "Factory Reset"

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Two more words: "Factory Reset"

Oh I think I may have tried that a few times!

Isn't that when you drink alcohol until you lose the ability to talk, your limbs don't work properly and you end up vomiting on yourself?

1 minute ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Oh I think I may have tried that a few times!

Isn't that when you drink alcohol until you lose the ability to talk, your limbs don't work properly and you end up vomiting on yourself?

Or maybe being "blackout drunk"..!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Or maybe being "blackout drunk"..!

I guess it's not as permanent as a factory reset at least. 😅

Neuralink will probably be a lot more appealing in years to come once the technology has advanced but so far the most advanced real world application they seem to have tested is one of the recipients playing a game of online chess which isn't exactly pushing the boundaries of human limitations.

It's definitely something that could benefit a lot of people with disabilities in the future though, I just hope that development is allowed to focus on that and not dictated purely by profit.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Neuralink will probably be a lot more appealing in years to come once the technology has advanced but so far the most advanced real world application they seem to have tested is one of the recipients playing a game of online chess which isn't exactly pushing the boundaries of human limitations.

The video I saw awhile back, showed someone using a phone app to control home smart devices. That was the main use-case the video was highlighting.

7 hours ago, SpiritSparrow Skydancer said:

In all seriousness.vvhttps://neuralink.com/patient-registry/

I think anyone with ALS or paralyzed would love to be on this clinical trial.

Certainly. If I were in such a position I would definitely volunteer to give it a try. What does one have to loose in such a situation? The only way is up than.
But for playing a platform like SL and just because I'm to lazy to use a keyboard, mouse or game-pad on top of that?
Not in a gazillion years.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

- Switch outfits instantly with a thought 

10 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I'm thinking @Arielle Popstarmight like that idea.  😁

I might be tempted if it came with a photographic memory upgrade since it is the area SL lacks in ;)

For the Musk doubters one wonders if they would prefer a neuralink option from Linden Labs considering its past track record. :ph34r:

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The video I saw awhile back, showed someone using a phone app to control home smart devices. That was the main use-case the video was highlighting.

I can definitely see a number of very useful applications for brain implants that allow you to remotely control technology, but the question is will it be used to improve peoples lives and empower them or will it simply enable people who are, as Sid put it..

7 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

to lazy to use a keyboard, mouse or game-pad on top of that?

Ultimately it could be used to improve humanity or we could all end up looking like this...

wallee_orig.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1