If You Divided the SL population into two groups

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 138 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'd rather divide the forums into those who use their main avatar name on the forums, which is tied to their business and all their inworld activity, and those who use alts on the forums, and have hidden, mysterious mains engaged in who-knows-what.

That's what I'd like to do.

Happy to debate people when I know what their inworld business is and their public profile. For example I have many disagreements with Diablo Lioncourt, but he's a known quantity, with a public business engaged in public activity, so his remarks are tied to his business without fear or favour. I think everyone should be doing that on the forums. The Lindens aren't in a position to end this alt-o-rama; a keener sense of civic duty promoted by all could achieve this.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

21 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Those who appreciate order and predictability, expect things to work as planned, and strive for wardrobes and living spaces that reflect attention to details. They have (or wish they had) tidy inventories.  They are easily upset when systems do not behave as expected and when other people or events upset their schedules or use of space. They respect boundaries and clear rules and they look for ways to mark and protect their own boundaries and rules, but they quietly admire the fact that some people don't have to work as much at keeping SL from becoming a chaotic mess. They would hire a good lawyer if SL had any.

Those who enjoy unpredictability and finding quirks, expect things to fail occasionally, and are blithely unaware that they scatter things in odd places and ignore other people's schedules. They don't care to spend time organizing inventories. They take bugs and system failures in stride and change plans spontaneously when they happen. They take a relaxed view of boundaries and almost enjoy ambiguous rules, but they begrudgingly appreciate the fact that more organized people keep SL from falling apart. They would be good lawyers if there was a role for them in SL.

There's an odd symbiosis between the two groups, and a bit of crossover. Each group would be upset if the other disappeared, and just as upset if they dominated SL.  They do depend on each other, after all. The groups fill the gaps in each other's world views, even as they accuse each other of sending SL to hell in a handbasket.

Interesting take. One thing I don't understand about SL these days (I'm old) is this insistence on dress codes. I go to some events where the invitations have elaborate dress codes either as to theme or as to degree of formality. I'm sorry, but if you want me at your ball, I may come in my 75L sweats because at least they're mesh; my tuxedo is old-school system paint-on.

People are deadly serious about this stuff and while I have not witnessed anyone actually ejected for not being in a suit, there is this social ostracism involved.

21 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Those who appreciate order and predictability, expect things to work as planned, and strive for wardrobes and living spaces that reflect attention to details. They have (or wish they had) tidy inventories.  They are easily upset when systems do not behave as expected and when other people or events upset their schedules or use of space. They respect boundaries and clear rules and they look for ways to mark and protect their own boundaries and rules, but they quietly admire the fact that some people don't have to work as much at keeping SL from becoming a chaotic mess. They would hire a good lawyer if SL had any.

Those who enjoy unpredictability and finding quirks, expect things to fail occasionally, and are blithely unaware that they scatter things in odd places and ignore other people's schedules. They don't care to spend time organizing inventories. They take bugs and system failures in stride and change plans spontaneously when they happen. They take a relaxed view of boundaries and almost enjoy ambiguous rules, but they begrudgingly appreciate the fact that more organized people keep SL from falling apart. They would be good lawyers if there was a role for them in SL.

There's an odd symbiosis between the two groups, and a bit of crossover. Each group would be upset if the other disappeared, and just as upset if they dominated SL.  They do depend on each other, after all. The groups fill the gaps in each other's world views, even as they accuse each other of sending SL to hell in a handbasket.

duplicate

Edited by Prokofy Neva

13 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
8 hours ago, graceblakeley said:

Those that have a first life.

Those that have a second life.

But that leaves out those with no life!

So true...glad you pointed it out...there are many in SL with no life as well....and that is sad.

Once there was this guy stalking me....I was trying to walk down a street and he kept following me, running in to me on purpose trying to bug me.  I said "here we are in a world where we have the ability to create ANYthing, and this is what you want to create"???   He left.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Have to say I was partially wrong when I first judged this thread. I really thought it was a train wreck in the making, but there have been some rather interesting, and non-negative, answers.

Since I feel the need to stay on topic, though I'm not nearly as creative or insightful as some of you, so here is my rather ordinary two groups -> those who see the glass (SL) as half full and those who see it as half empty.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Blush Bravin said:

those who see the glass (SL) as half full and those who see it as half empty.

Yes I like that, and I would add...those who (when recognizing they are seeing half-empty glasses around, do a gratitude prayer and suddenly the glasses are half full, or even totally full!)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I suppose that I may be misinterpreting @Gopi Passiflora's OP (intentionally or unintentionally).  This is pointed out well by Prok's post.

1. Whereas, "luxury" means to many people, "an item or service that is fancy, highest-quality, aspirational", etc...

2. To others, "luxury" means "non-essential", something that is considered "nice to have", but not everyone can afford (based on income, lifestyle, cost of living, etc.).

So @Gopi Passiflora - which did you intend by "Luxury"?  "Fancy and high quality", or "non-essential and expensive"?

Love, I think you might have meant this for the other thread. :)

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right
Here I am stuck in the middle...

Seriously though:

Group 1: People who believe in the imagined society/community/world we live in.
Group 2: Those rare people who do not believe in the above.

I belong in Group 2 (on the Group W bench).

https://www.amazon.com/Sapiens-Humankind-Yuval-Noah-Harari/dp/0062316095

image.png.25613096d784378d098e50e33f0b26b0.png

6 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

Have to say I was partially wrong when I first judged this thread. I really thought it was a train wreck in the making, but there have been some rather interesting, and non-negative, answers

It's never too late to have a train-wreck!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 138 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.