What Would You Like to Remove From Second Life Permanently?

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 205 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

58 minutes ago, gwynchisholm said:

Gacha items being resellable on the marketplace 

it is annoying as all hell to look for something that happens to also be a commonly resold gacha item, like trying to find just a “shawl“ in search and there’s a dozen of the same gacha item every page

Gacha resale items are one of the best kept secrets in outfitting alts on the cheap. You get to pick the specific item you want, for the specific body size you need, in a specific color and most of them are priced to sell. You take them out of my cold, dead hands.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gwynchisholm said:

Gacha items being resellable on the marketplace 

it is annoying as all hell to look for something that happens to also be a commonly resold gacha item, like trying to find just a “shawl“ in search and there’s a dozen of the same gacha item every page

Just check the box that say Don't Show Limited Quantity

Screenshot_20231126-010830.thumb.png.3ac8858661fef36bf90cda867f08eb4c.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

Wait...

Why are we banning people who practice Santeria again?

Or is someone in SL using the name of a religion as their brand?

Santeria and Voodoo are different religions that both derive from African roots. Santeria comes out of Cuba, while Voodoo comes out of Haiti. In both cases, African slaves masked and syncretized their native religious beliefs with Catholic saints, so there are corallaries between their pantheons, beliefs and practices. White people have demonized and mocked both religions because they were practiced by black and brown people, and they continue to do so because they don't understand them.

Voodoo is also a brand name in Second Life. I think they make sploders and other games.

One thing I'd like to see disappear from SL is all the ignorant, demeaning, cringy representations of people of color: Native Americans, natives of South American, natives of island nations, Africans, African Americans, Asians, and any group that's not white. This includes so-called "witch doctors" and most "native" characters. 

Edited by Persephone Emerald
To add SL peeve
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Gacha resale items are one of the best kept secrets in outfitting alts on the cheap. You get to pick the specific item you want, for the specific body size you need, in a specific color and most of them are priced to sell. You take them out of my cold, dead hands.

Gatcha items need to be listed in some way so they don't fill up MP search results, but they are a very useful option for shoppers. I've bought 7Seas Fishing components, a Jian pet, and one of my favorite hairs as Gatcha or No Copy items on Marketplace.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Gatcha items need to be listed in some way so they don't fill up MP search results, but they are a very useful option for shoppers. I've bought 7Seas Fishing components, a Jian pet, and one of my favorite hairs as Gatcha or No Copy items on Marketplace.

I think that Rowan gave the perfect solution for avoiding gatcha listings already a few post back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Arwyn Quandry said:

Some silly and annoying things that we absolutely MUST ban, for the sanity of all involved!

1. Sending a conference IM to everyone on your friends list to invite them to the party you're DJ'ing/hosting. For the love of Philip, make a group and stop spamming us!

There is one DJ I adore, but who does this at a very popular place with a large group. Love her to pieces, but when she does this I want to scream.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

But, but, but ... What about those of us who sell only one of an item on purpose like an original piece of art ...

sIJYQ.gif.787f274a25e1f182c6e5a70e7963aa21.gif

The category your items are under isn't one that would have very many gachas...Art/Paintings, so I doubt anyone would need to use the Do Not Show option.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Banlines and security orbs on mainland roadside parcels. If you don't want randoms on your land, WHY have you paid a premium for a parcel that they will inevitably crash into on a regular basis, instead of getting a cheaper one away from thoroughfares, or an estate rental, or a free one in Bellisseria with more prims? You know, like the people who actually want privacy do? And leave roadside for those who want the traffic for which they're being charged extra?

Either these people are griefers, in which case LL shouldn't be enabling them; or they're idiots, in which case LL should be protecting them from their own stupidity.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Agreed. The banning of gatchas has made it so much harder for me to buy just one little treat item for myself or my alt at a really cheap price. Even the "legal" gatchas aren't popular enough to make up for it and a lot of my favorite brands that used to do them no longer do. I wrote a whole big post lamenting this a while back but never actually posted it because I didn't want to seem whiny.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sparkle Bunny said:

a free one in Bellisseria with more prims? You know, like the people who actually want privacy do?

Homes in Belli offer NO privacy, as you cannot have banlines or install an orb that kicks and bans, and even the low quality fail-security you are allowed there, lets the griefers loiter before being gently pushed out the door with huge padded gloves so they can come right back in.

5 minutes ago, Sparkle Bunny said:

Either these people are griefers, in which case LL shouldn't be enabling them; or they're idiots, in which case LL should be protecting them from their own stupidity.

And this is why the Home Invasion lobby does not get the "accommodation and compromise" they keep demanding. the "compromise" where they get whatever they want, and the land owners get nothing back but insults.

7 minutes ago, Sparkle Bunny said:

WHY have you paid a premium for a parcel that they will inevitably crash into on a regular basis

This may come as a shock to you, but some people who like privacy IN THEIR ONN parcel, also, like to use roads.

8 minutes ago, Sparkle Bunny said:

leave roadside for those who want the traffic for which they're being charged extra

And again the assumption that people who buy roadside "must want passing traffic", not everybody is or wants to, run a road side store or club. Some just want to be able to leave their PRIVATE home in a car now and then.

For the record I'm not one of them, I live in the middle of nowhere, as far from over-entitled road fanatics as possible.

13 minutes ago, Sparkle Bunny said:

are griefers, in which case LL shouldn't be enabling them

This describes the Home Invasion lobby perfectly, and THAT'S why LL doesn't enable them, and allows land owners to put up banlines and use "zero second punt kick the trash back where they came from and perma ban them so they can't come back" security orbs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

And again the assumption that people who buy roadside "must want passing traffic", not everybody is or wants to, run a road side store or club. Some just want to be able to leave their PRIVATE home in a car now and then.

I think where I got lost with the complaint by @Sparkle Bunny is - if people are "inevitably" crashing into the ban lines near the road..wouldn't vehicles be crashing into people's homes without the banlines?

The logic of the complaint was totally lost on me!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Island Granville said:

Shorts that don't bend - ewww 🤣

shorts_001.thumb.png.496af74931a4f761a5559400b941d65c.png

Nobody wants poor clippy.

giphy.gif

I've gotten so used to clipping that it would almost seem wrong for any game to not have it now.  Where would I be in World of Warcraft without someone's sword clipping through my chest, or my own armor poking into my neck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Sparkle Bunny said:

Banlines and security orbs on mainland roadside parcels. If you don't want randoms on your land, WHY have you paid a premium for a parcel that they will inevitably crash into on a regular basis, instead of getting a cheaper one away from thoroughfares, or an estate rental, or a free one in Bellisseria with more prims? You know, like the people who actually want privacy do? And leave roadside for those who want the traffic for which they're being charged extra?

We want land on roadfront so we are not blocked in by someone elses ugly build.

Besides i proposed a solution a few posts ago. EVERYONE with LL protected frontage turns ON banlines, and everyone else chose "hide banlines".

You won't see them, but if you bump into them, you will bounce back into the road and not be teleported home by a zero warning orb. Ban lines make it nicer for everyone.

Just set so you can't see them, and everyone is happy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Resize scripts instead of just being able to right click > edit > stretch. Those same items usually can’t be moved either. I kinda get why, but come on man, you’re really gonna sell me a scarf that I can never make fit right because it’s always ever so slightly out of place and I have to rely on your script to make it somewhat work?

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

You won't see them, but if you bump into them, you will bounce back into the road and not be teleported home by a zero warning orb. Ban lines make it nicer for everyone.

Just set so you can't see them, and everyone is happy.

I personally kinda like visible lines and barriers and such, it feels kinda cyberpunky to see lookat targets, parcel lines, full name tags and stuff like that. I know definitely not everyone likes that but to me that definitely feels like a virtual world to see the framework behind it all. And I think just a global option to turn all of that on or off at once would be a cool settings addition. Disable all the immersion breaking items, or turn all of it on at the same time. Still with individual settings if someone just wants ban lines or land lines and not the other stuff.

I feel like there’s a viewer that did that with settings presets, but I can’t remember which one, where you could just bind multiple debug settings to a button.

Edited by gwynchisholm

2 minutes ago, gwynchisholm said:

Resize scripts instead of just being able to right click > edit > stretch. Those same items usually can’t be moved either. I kinda get why, but come on man, you’re really gonna sell me a scarf that I can never make fit right because it’s always ever so slightly out of place and I have to rely on your script to make it somewhat work?

I was asked a while ago by someone why I didn't put a resize script in the pics I sell.

I can sort of see the point for people who don't know how to resize a multi-prim / mesh object using the edit tools (and there are apparently a surprisingly large number of those). And if I did, and made the pics no mod, I could make them transfer instead, I guess, which is good. But they're really limiting, in combination with no mod perms.

I think I'm going to start including a notecard that explains how to edit them using the proper tools.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

and even the low quality fail-security you are allowed there, lets the griefers loiter before being gently pushed out the door with huge padded gloves so they can come right back in.

Except you're also fully allowed to ban actual offenders (or, anyone you'd like to, really - if I wanted to ban a forumite from my Linden Home because I disagree with their way of shooting pictures sideways that's my prerogative - whether they ever have or will set foot on my land; there's no appealing from being banned from a Linden Home). Some random guy showed up naked on my sky platform last night and started trying to hit on one of my alts (it happens every once in a while), I banned him from the parcel and blocked him, took a few button clicks and maybe 3 seconds of my time. I don't even have any security system, if someone's moving through then why should I waste effort or land impact on making sure that they can't stay for longer than 30 seconds - you can walk across the parcel in maybe 15 seconds on foot. If someone would happen to stay for 32 seconds it doesn't really bother me anyway, especially the vast amount of time I'm not even there myself. If someone pops up in my skybox or on my platform uninvited that's an obvious transgression and easy enough to deal with. 

As per the covenant:

38fa2d2c6981c2ed26e6a9686ca16ee4.png

• Like 9

The "look" of banlines is objectionable to so many; perhaps it's the "look" of banlines that I could do away with if I had my choice. 

I would change how they look -- maybe offering parcel owners the ability to choose different looks of what bans ya.  Offering an invisible option; a fully opaque option; a single red band along the ground - or - water - level of the parcel; snow falling; water splashing; rain falling; something just to address the "how they look" complaint and actually make them more desirable to use and less objectionable at ground level.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 205 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.