what is this Secondlive viewer

Yesenia Zero

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 82 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey so I got messages saying I will copy and past remove link. Pretty sure is a scam X3 

(Saved Tue Oct 31 19:58:49 2023)Hello,

Are you tired of spending your hard-earned Linden Dollars? We've got an exciting solution just for you! Introducing our SecondLive Viewer, where everything is not only free but also open for endless possibilities.

- Unlock unlimited Linden Dollars (L$) for all your virtual adventures.
- Fly to unlimited heights.
- Build on any land of your choice, all for free.

But that's just the beginning.

Link: https

We're sincerely thankful to everyone who joins us in our mission to make SecondLife completely free.
Don't miss this incredible opportunity!

Best regards.

removed the Link because in case something weird. 

1 minute ago, Yesenia Zero said:

Hey so I got messages saying I will copy and past remove link. Pretty sure is a scam X3 

(Saved Tue Oct 31 19:58:49 2023)Hello,

Are you tired of spending your hard-earned Linden Dollars? We've got an exciting solution just for you! Introducing our SecondLive Viewer, where everything is not only free but also open for endless possibilities.

- Unlock unlimited Linden Dollars (L$) for all your virtual adventures.
- Fly to unlimited heights.
- Build on any land of your choice, all for free.

But that's just the beginning.

Link: https

We're sincerely thankful to everyone who joins us in our mission to make SecondLife completely free.
Don't miss this incredible opportunity!

Best regards.

removed the Link because in case something weird. 

It's a scam and discussed here...

• Like 2

It's surprising that SL isn't hit with more of these sorts of scams. I guess the fact that there's real money involved isn't widely known amongst scammers though.

For the avoidance of any doubt though: this is a scam, they're trying to get financial information and/or account details. If you receive one of these messages it's likely from an account of someone who was silly enough to fall for it, don't be like them.

Always check URLs carefully etc when entering any credentials. Never download or use any Second Life viewer that you cannot absolutely trust, be aware that the SL viewer is open source software also so anyone could make a viewer that looks identical to the one you currently use but steals your account details, only ever download software from trusted locations (e.g. official websites, don't just Google for them either since search results can be and frequently are fake).

Edited by AmeliaJ08

The unlimited money makes it impossible, so I'd hope people would realise it was too good to be true. But be careful of future attempts, as some will sound more realistic. The key point is they'll be random links in IM or spamming groups. Doesn't matter what words they attach. You know it's a scam just from that.

• Like 1

Oh, that thing. It appeared a few days ago. It's been reported to LL and Soft Linden is following it. If you find someone with an SL account distributing this, report it.

Do NOT install it. It's not a viewer at all. It's an installer for at least four pieces of malware. It installs backdoors that let others take over your machine.

After installing malware, it pops up a message box: "The OpenGL driver detected a problem with the display driver and is unable to continue. The application must close. Error code:3 ,0+64,"Error". There's no viewer in there at all, apparently. Not even a hacked one. Just a line of PowerShell to display that message. If you've downloaded this on a Windows box and run the download, major malware cleanup is required.

This sort of thing is seriously annoying for us third-party viewer developers. Gives TPVs a bad name.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

I received this same "SecondLive" message yesterday in IM, offering what appeared to be a 'cheat' viewer for Second Life. The message was sent by a 'joined today' newbie. I didn't click on the link, for obvious reasons, but I did look up SecondLIve on Google. There's actually [what claims to be] a virtual world called SecondLive, complete with a website. There's also lots of links to info about it on XFT (X formerly Twitter). A video shows the graphics are different from SL, so it's not based on OpenSim.  Anyway the avatars aren't up to much in what looks to be their in-world footage.

I am slightly pleased that these people at least only target Windows and so I am safe on my Mac but I am not foolish enough to assume that one day they might change their tactics.

Despite the fact that 99% of people getting such messages are smart enough to see it for the scam that it is they only need that 1% to click and install the file. 

• Haha 1

Just wondering, wouldn't most real time virus protections notice it and block it?  (assuming that peeps have it in their system of course). I have heard something about some ps.1 powershell files that can cause greif as well.

Edited by shireena1
added extra info.

1 hour ago, shireena1 said:

wouldn't most real time virus protections notice it and block it? 

malware isn't a virus, and you give it acces yourself.

There are many programs that cause a warning when trying to install on windows systems, also firestorm gives such sometimes at a update, but if you know what the source is it's mostly safe to override the warning. Still there are situations we shouldn't, or there isn't warning and you'r sc****d

Edited by Alwin Alcott

1 hour ago, shireena1 said:

Just wondering, wouldn't most real time virus protections notice it and block it?  (assuming that peeps have it in their system of course). I have heard something about some ps.1 powershell files that can cause greif as well.

It's possible, it's not in any way sophisticated and the 'viewer' being distributed just runs an elevated Powershell script to download a handful of remote access trojans which are definitely in the Windows Defender database.

That said: not worth risking it to test but people have taken a look at what it is attempting to download and install. Also the fact that some people are receiving messages from old accounts suggests that something is slipping through since that points to account details (and presumably everything else on that PC) being stolen and used by whoever is distributing this attack.

Edited by AmeliaJ08

I'm still a bit puzzled though. As I said in my post above, checking Google indicates there is a virtual world called SecondLive, which has a website. It might just be vapourware but there are videos. This is different from the scam-spam IM, which claims SecondLive is a viewer for Second Life that gives you 'god' powers over L$, land, objects and anything else you care to think of.

8 hours ago, Conifer Dada said:

I received this same "SecondLive" message yesterday in IM, offering what appeared to be a 'cheat' viewer for Second Life. The message was sent by a 'joined today' newbie. I didn't click on the link, for obvious reasons, but I did look up SecondLIve on Google. There's actually [what claims to be] a virtual world called SecondLive, complete with a website. There's also lots of links to info about it on XFT (X formerly Twitter). A video shows the graphics are different from SL, so it's not based on OpenSim.  Anyway the avatars aren't up to much in what looks to be their in-world footage.

SecondLive seems to be a real thing, an Asian crypto social network. It's classic 2021 crypto metaverse stuff - wallet, coins, mining, play to earn. It's an Android phone app. You can overlay cute little dancing kawaii avatars on phone video of the real world, and share the videos. (YouTube link)  It's kind of a mashup of Pokemon Go, Vocaloids, TikTok, casual gaming, and crypto. It's probably a Lose Money Fast scheme on the crypto side, but at least it has cute graphics.

The fake Second Life viewer, on the other hand, is just a low-rent phishing attack to get malware installed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Today I got another spam / scam message, this time trying to get me to join something called AvatarLife!  This is claimed to be a virtual world similar to SL. This time the message was not from a resident but from an object. The message was there when I logged in. It's a bit odd that I received two spams regarding two different virtual worlds within two days, when I can't remember getting any such messages during my previous 17 years in SL!

Edited by Conifer Dada
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Conifer Dada said:

Today I got another spam / scam message, this time trying to get me to join something called AvatarLife!  This is claimed to be a virtual world similar to SL. This time the message was not from a resident but from an object. The message was there when I logged in. It's a bit odd that I received two spams regarding two different virtual worlds within two days, when I can't remember getting any such messages during my previous 17 years in SL!

I got that when I logged in today too, this was in my chat when I logged in, it was not a notecard or I.M. I am fairly sure I have recieved that message in the not so distant past, but on saying that, I get messages like that from Krafties as well. I think all I did to get those was to visit their sim.

Personally, I just ignore them, or if I can, block them.

1 hour ago, Conifer Dada said:

AvatarLife is an actual virtual platform, so this is unsolicited advertising. I got it too and reported it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 82 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.