Voice Chat

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 188 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

-Do you use voice in Second Life?

-If so, how and when do you use it? (Use it all the time, or is there conditions to where and when you use it?)

-Do you think you have a good voice?

(Apologies if any of these questions have been done before.)

I occasionally use voice in Second Life, but not all the time. I'm mostly a typer.

I only use it when the other people have initiated the conversation with me in voice. Since I have a distinct voice, I only use it while playing certain accounts/characters (usually my alien, shapeshifter, or fishman characters, since not even my human male characters resemble my real life self.) If I'm playing a female character I try to avoid active places with voice.

I said before I have a distinct voice, and I don't think it's very good.  Talking-wise I talk too fast and I think people don't understand me, and singing-wise I think I'm tone deaf. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

Oh HELL no.

10 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

-If so, how and when do you use it?

Never, I talk on a damn headset all day at work, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, I do not want to do any of that when I'm on my own dime.

12 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

You KNOW it's been done before, and before, and before.

Cue the usual crop of "but... social platform" types complaining that anyone who doesn't voice spam "MUST be hiding something and is probably some filthy catfishing alt criminal of SL, because REASONS!"

So, apology NOT accepted.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Oh HELL no.

Never, I talk on a damn headset all day at work, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, I do not want to do any of that when I'm on my own dime.

You KNOW it's been done before, and before, and before.

Cue the usual crop of "but... social platform" types complaining that anyone who doesn't voice spam "MUST be hiding something and is probably some filthy catfishing alt criminal of SL, because REASONS!"

So, apology NOT accepted.

No I think it's fine that you don't voice. I don't voice that much either, like I said in my original post I only voice during certain situations. I mostly type.

53 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

Nope.  I revel in silence and in the shared experience of spontaneous typos.  What's more, the voices I imagine for people are much more interesting than the real voices they probably have.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I said before I have a distinct voice, and I don't think it's very good. 

In the past I didn't like my voice.  I began singing mantras in earnest, and was so impressed with the return of my voice (on many levels...like 'finding your voice' ) that I started a group in SL named Moonlight Mantras.  I felt my voice was too high, and I'm developing a lower range I didn't know I had -- it just took some loud screaming singing songs of love!!   I sang a lot in the past, composed songs, but my voice was never like this!

Sing, Gopi, Sing!    :)

• Like 1

When I started SL, I was still working in a job where I talked on the phone all day. Which was really strange because I was such an introvert at the time. I didn't want to talk any further at home while playing SL.  I did change jobs where I no longer needed to talk but continued to only type in SL because that's how I got used to playing. I have listened to others talking in SL and it doesn't make me feel like joining in. I've been told I have a great talking voice.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I said before I have a distinct voice, and I don't think it's very good. 

I often think that I have an unpleasant voice.  Sometimes people at church come up after I speak and compliment me on my voice.  It's confusing!

I think we all hear our own voices differently, because it is filtered through the bones in our head, and our own ears.

Recently someone said my voice is "like silk"!  Luckily for me, most people don't know how easily I am swayed by such compliments.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

Do you use voice in Second Life?

-If so, how and when do you use it? (Use it all the time, or is there conditions to where and when you use it?)

I do not use voice in sl much at all anymore, and when I do it is only with close friends. Some of those friends I actually know in rl as well, we've been friends for quite a longtime. Those people know me well enough for me to be comfortable on voice with them. 

I do not use it with most people, because sometimes people tell me I sound like a kid and it's annoying, lmao. I don't get it nearly as often as my age gets mistaken in rl, but sometimes I get students who think I've either barely graduated high school, or still attend. 

I don't mind hearing other people on voice, except when they decide it's perfectly acceptable to go around being jerks and acting as if no one else around can hear them (or worse, not caring).

Funny story, I got called a basic female dog (in looks and attitude, among other not so carefully worded attempts at insults) in a store the other day. It was a bit funny, mostly because the store we were in at the time, sells the very outfit I was wearing, and the basic female dog comment came from someone openly offended by my profile. I'm not sure what in it is so offensive, but go off I guess, lmao. 

People be weird man, people be weird. Them weird ones, is why I don't like to use voice. 

Edited by Casidy Silvercloud
fixed my profanity, my bad
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I occasionally use voice in Second Life, but not all the time. I'm mostly a typer.

I only use it when the other people have initiated the conversation with me in voice. Since I have a distinct voice, I only use it while playing certain accounts/characters (usually my alien, shapeshifter, or fishman characters, since not even my human male characters resemble my real life self.) If I'm playing a female character I try to avoid active places with voice.

I said before I have a distinct voice, and I don't think it's very good.  Talking-wise I talk too fast and I think people don't understand me, and singing-wise I think I'm tone deaf. 

In general, no, I don't use voice. I have before, but probably fewer than 30 words in 13 years.

I listen to it until someone starts chewing or burping.  Ewwww.

I will never use it to prove gender or anything to strangers who demand it.  A few close friends have heard a word or 2.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

To be fair, those corpses under the floorboards aren't very noisy, so me going on voice wouldn't reveal anything!

.. I mean uh, the uh. Oranges. Oranges under the floorboards. All over the place. Oranges. Nodnods.

Darn it, I just revealed there's an orange on my desk. What wicked things will all the evil online peoples do with this sensitive information?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

57 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

I'll use voice in a program like Discord because often I prefer it- keeps my hands free for whatever I might be doing, from building to driving to gaming.

I suspect that quite a few males on SL would want to keep their hands free for what they are doing too, but I don't think that it would be driving or gaming. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

No.

-If so, how and when do you use it? (Use it all the time, or is there conditions to where and when you use it?)

Yes. (Of course, beauty is in the ear of the belistener, as my own assessment and comments in reviews of audiobooks have taught me ...)

• Like 3

On 10/10/2023 at 12:00 PM, Gopi Passiflora said:

No. Not even when I'm in world as my male alt.

See above.

Yes, like @Luna Bliss quite a sexy one. Not Barry White sexy, but confidently sexy. Problem is in SL, we're talking a rich tenor-baritone here in RL, and not what you'd expect Katherine to sound like (at all). ;)

Note ... When I first got here there was a long-time SL resident (17 years now?) I knew from another platform and did voice twice with her and her partner to help me through a couple of learning points. She knew all about the male behind the keys thing though. Still, felt horrible and weird. Never again, it completely breaks the immersion in SL for me.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 3

No

Do you think you have a good voice?

I have no idea.

The few times I have had the sound on so i could hear people talking it has been a mess, typically when i do SL I am listening to music, I don't want SL conversations distracting me from the music. 

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 188 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.