Easily manipulated?

Paul Hexem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 225 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was recently thinking about how easily people are manipulated and if there are SL specific examples. What are some ways you see people in SL easily manipulated? Products that people buy like security systems or inspection protection? Parcel or region bans for dubious reasons?

Let's hear your examples!

• Like 2

- Having someone convince me to be nude in an empty area so they can "help" with improving my tattoo; they probably ripped it since then it was all I was wearing.  Never heard from them again.

- Having a partner convince me to be "non-furry" for a Gore event. Never.Again.

- Having a new furry "friend" convince me I wasn't "furry enough" for their tastes, and convince me to buy horrid body hair.

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

48 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

I was recently thinking about how easily people are manipulated and if there are SL specific examples. What are some ways you see people in SL easily manipulated? Products that people buy like security systems or inspection protection? Parcel or region bans for dubious reasons?

In sl? People tell you they love you so that you feel obligated to them. Some people tell you terrible stories about their rl so that you feel sorry for them and do what they want you to do. Some are overly generous with gifts so that you owe them. Some message you constantly so that you don't have time for other friendships. And then there are the ones who randomly burst into tears so you have to walk on eggshells around them. I'm more savvy now than I was when I started about a year and a half ago. I found sl culture very confusing in the beginning. 

Edit: these things are not manipulative by themselves, it's using guilt as s manipulation tactic that I have experience of in sl

Edited by Robberinthemuseum
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Robberinthemuseum said:
43 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

In sl? People tell you they love you so that you feel obligated to them. Some people tell you terrible stories about their rl so that you feel sorry for them and do what they want you to do. Some are overly generous with gifts so that you owe them. Some message you constantly so that you don't have time for other friendships. And then there are the ones who randomly burst into tears so you have to walk on eggshells around them. I'm more savvy now than I was when I started about a year and a half ago. I found sl culture very confusing in the beginning. 

So emotional manipulation in 2nd life then?  Yes I've experienced that too. But then it's common in 1st life as well.

Basically, according to some, people are also the products that Paul is alluding to.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

ARC

Mesh

Such hard work

Who's in SL for hard work?

• Like 4

Babies do it to get food or attention. Children do it to get that trip to the zoo or the theme park, manipulation is the cork where life floats on.
The important thing is, that you manipulate a tiny bit more than the others. That is what is called success. RL and SL.

• Like 8

Besides the obvious emotional manipulation that happens in SL because this place is paced like RL on a mix of Red Bull and amphetamines and a lot of people feel the anonymity of an avatar (and numerous alts) gives them license to act however, I find the most annoying manipulation is on newbies to get into a "real" body and the avatar shaming that goes on both consciously and unconsciously.

I'm clearly guilty of that too because I wanted an avatar that looks like it does now, but the dumping we do on folks who have classic avis, for example, is weird to me. It's the person behind the avatar that matters, but gosh, we can all be so superficial here at times.

Manipulation is an industry though. I spent half my career using psychology in design to convince and emotionally manipulate people to buy extravagant stuff they don't need, so it's no surprise this sort of human behaviour is reflected in SL.

Now, if you'll all excuse me, I have a 32nd pair of basic pumps to buy in world ;)

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I suppose most clubs that use contest boards to get traffic that they wouldn't get if it was just music and no prize incentive! And then the contestants who TP in five friends to vote for them at the last minute xD

I think everyone has bought a skin or hair that looked nothing like the pic on the vendor...9_9

• Like 6

It happens in the forums all the time. Someone asks a question or makes a  response in a thread that contains dog whistle terms meant to stir someone else into a frenzy.  Then the frenzied reply stirs predictable partisan posts and more dog whistles.  Everybody manipulates everybody else and nobody can remember how it all started. It's chaotic manipulation, like poking a wasp nest with a stick.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

It happens in the forums all the time. Someone asks a question or makes a  response in a thread that contains dog whistle terms meant to stir someone else into a frenzy.  Then the frenzied reply stirs predictable partisan posts and more dog whistles.  Everybody manipulates everybody else and nobody can remember how it all started. It's chaotic manipulation, like poking a wasp nest with a stick.

It's SL, things are always getting poked with...

Oh, you said sticks.

23 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

This, right here, Rolig, is why I'm considering leaving the forum.

If you are direct, and try to debate honestly, you are punished via thoughtful posts removed, perhaps even seen as trying to start a fight and slapped.  While the ones who are rabble rousing with the dog whistles skate by without punishment.  This makes discussions confusing and causes them to elevate into insanity. I suppose some think this is exciting -- causing drama while evading moderation, but for some it's really the only way they can add a needed point to the discussion.

I can learn to play this game, or I can leave....but the latter is seeming more appealing atm.

So yeah, this dog-whistle manipulation is annoying -- both inworld and on the forum.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

People are manipulated into spending money to buy silly "last names" picked off of a list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

..wait! Is this thead another example of that?

Asking for a friend!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Eww! You didn't try that "most popular attachment, did you"? 

I hope it comes off in the shower!

No, I just feel dirty through association now...

/me turns off SL lights and grabs black light while exploring SL

*Oh mah gawdz!*

People sure get messy here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

So yeah, this dog-whistle manipulation is annoying -- both inworld and on the forum.

And even more so in RL.

This is the point of dog whistles, no? To produce a kind of plausible deniability ("I didn't actually say that!") using coded language that everyone actually recognizes in a way that will provoke earnest responses that are vulnerable to moderation or manipulation.

It's one reason I'll sometimes respond to posts with a 🙄 and nothing else. Because I want to acknowledge the articulation of the point without being baited into a response.

karolina-machova-i-see-you.gif

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 225 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.