VAMPIRES!

Lauren Mortal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 248 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think you may have caused more interest in your avatar for feeding by actually getting the HUD thus making another connection between yourself and the database which you are updating and refreshing each time you put the darn thing on.

Do yourself a favour and delete that HUD.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Lauren Mortal said:

Making sarcastic quips and mocking me while making vaguely helpful suggestions is not my idea of good advice.

The only advice that was even close to helpful was something about a garlic necklace, which doesn't even exist for Progeny. It's for BLOODLINES back in 2015! Excuse me for being mean, but I don't respond well to such blatant disrespect and the mockery I'm presented with in this forum. You are all either vampires, or you simply do not care about my concerns and just want to make a joke out of it for the attention.

I only wanted to go shopping in peace today. But I guess the real mistake I made was turning to this forum for any hopes of support. And I know I can forget about approaching LL for any help. I put in a support ticket a week ago concerning a billing issue and I'm still waiting for a response. I'm a paying premium member, by the way. I am starting to consider leaving SL entirely at this point. It is stressing me out.

Anyway, I'm done I'll see myself out.

Other thing you can do is keep wearing that Progeny hud and hoping that it shows you who is vampire/wearing that same hud. Than block/mute that person and normally every attachment this person is also blocked.

And, something people should learn, try to block and ignore these people mentally. Once they notice that their tricks don't work with you, they will leave you alone.

Edited by Dorientje Woller
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

This simply is not the place to ask linden for help, or ask for any help.  The only way to ask linden for help is making a ticket, you will only get attacked and trolled on this forum by people who like to inflate there post count.

And that's how we got to the times where/when you disagree with something/somebody it's now considered "trolling and attacking". Not just on those forums, of course, but everywhere on the internet and rl, too.

The OP is silly, to say the least, and so is this suggestion as it'll only take LL's support time for literally nothing. Time they could use to, you know, actually help people with account/payment/tech/land etc issues. The support's answer will be their standard one either way.

And the only correct answer has been given already. Block/derender and that's about it. But because that answer is not to the OP's liking (and some other white knights') I must be a troll, vampire and so on, too. /s

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Thanks for posting this link. It explains why Progeny is a problem. Also, the Garlic Necklace would only work for Bloodlines, which is a different, less troublesome vampire roleplay system. With their Garlic Necklace, one wears it once to be marked on their database as not biteable. Bloodlines also requires their vampires to ask if they can bite someone, while Progeny does not. A Bloodlines bite includes an animation, while Progeny's apparently does not. It adds a non-consenting account name to an external database, which is at least against the spirit of the SL TOS, if not actually against the TOS.

6 hours ago, Lauren Mortal said:

From what she told me when you are bitten once, your UUID is put into a database. You are now "Marked" for feeding. The longer the time since the last time you are fed on the more points a vampire will get if they manage to feed on you, and the points build up over time. Which basically means the more I avoid and try to stay away from them, the more they desperately want to get close to me for a bite because I'm a higher value target to them. Which is why I'm being harassed when I'm out shopping for clothing or furniture or whatever, which should be the last place you'd expect to be targeted by them.

The store owner apologized to me and did ban that person from the store, and rightfully so. I'm there to shop and spend L's and give them my business, I'm not there to deal with other avatars harassing and stalking me and involving me in something I don't want any part of. I'm sick and tired of needing a 6th sense every time I go out...

Report your problem to Linden Lab through a support ticket. Abuse Report anyone who tries to bite you as Harrasment. Then Block and Mute those people. There isn't much that Linden Lab will do to stop this problem, apparently, but you can bring it to their attention. Store owners and land owners have the most power in these kinds of situations to eject and ban people. I can't know which of your friends might be in Progeny and secretly feeding on you, but it does seem like a possibility. 

In all my years in SL, I've never had a known encounter with a Progeny vampire, but if their feeding system is all based on a secret database, how would anyone know? Who hasn't had random avatars bump into them or stand too close? Perhaps it's better to ignore them than to scan for them, if you can't remove your name from their database? You might also try to contact the owners of the game and complain to them.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 4

If you cannot handle getting a reaction icon or button as a response then forums are not for you - at all.

The text based responses given were of the exact tone and content fostered by the OP.

It is beyond ridiculous to make the claim that no one in this forum ever helps and only ever offers ridicule.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

The thing about an avatar standing close in shops:

I use Firestorm and "show friends only". This makes it appear like I am all alone in a store. I use the "show friends only" so I do not have to load all the unknown people around me. I want the vendors to load fast. 

So I may stand close to someone and I can't see them, I have no interest in them at all. They are invisible.

Are people freaked out by that? I thought "show friends only" is a known thing in SL. Or else we can choose to show only one or two more avatars, not show high complexity avatars, and so on. Many people do this all the time, or only in busy shops, where it is lots of avatars around.

• Like 9

I am confused about whether the OP is having an issue with Progeny or Bloodlines users. I guess the HUD they're using answers most questions.

You'd hope the HUD has a warning (or 10+ years ago when the OP started having the issue), such as "Using this HUD will enable you to find vampires in your vicinity who are part of [RP Name]. Note that by wearing the HUD, vampires will also know that you are nearby", etc.

Or, common sense plus 18 years.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Dorientje Woller said:

Other thing you can do is keep wearing that Progeny hud and hoping that it shows you who is vampire/wearing that same hud.

Still not clear that the hud shows the participants?  OP advertises him/her self as player. 
It's a open invite to use him/her to feed.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

See? It is NOT ALWAYS a "scorn laugh"!

We need two laugh reactions, I never do the scorn laugh, its always because i find the comment funny but I always worry that might be taken wrong because so many people use that reaction to scorn people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Am I correct in concluding that the following is the core of the problem?

"Avatar/cloud stands too close for too long near other avatar."

After all, since there are options as Block and Derender, all other details of this debate topic are trivial. It doesn't matter what role the adversary plays. When they are blocked, you can't see whether they're a ninja, a zombie, a pirate or a vampire. Also, it does not matter what they IM to you. Once they are blocked, you have been liberated of their verbal harassments.

So, the only thing that's left is an invisible physics bean and a little cloud of particles that invades your personal space. In the worst case, they might even push your avatar around when you are afk. And, gee, I wonder how one could solve that problem.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

So, the only thing that's left is an invisible physics bean and a little cloud of particles that invades your personal space. In the worst cse, they might even push your avatar around when you are afk.

Gee, I wonder how one could solve that problem.

Afaik there are progeny scanners out there which do exactly that, which renders the indignation about harassment moot.

Guess that's not intended to be mentioned by the OP.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

Linden really needs to remove the laughy face as people are using it to belittle and troll.  

It's also often the same people who are abusing it. And from the way they defend their behaviour it's pretty clear that they are fully aware of the offending and trolling intention but believe that this is what a forum should include. It's nothing but toxic because the one who gets laughed at doesn't have the chance to defend themselves since there was just a laughter but no argument provided, which is the main problem. There is no interest in a discussion at that point, it's only mockery, and it shouldn't get tolerated.

As far as progency is concerned, I would not be surprised if the UUID of the person bitten gets transferred outside of SL to an external database without consent. I would not be surprised since the system apparently keeps track of, for example, avatars who have died in consequence of biting which would definitely not "respect the privacy rights of Second Life Residents" as elaborated in https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Using_Personal_Data

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 248 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.