VAMPIRES!

Lauren Mortal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 248 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 hours ago, Istelathis said:

While trying to figure out how the progeny system works, I saw there were multiple vampire based games in SL.  Who knows how many times we have been marked, bitten, and so on.  Apparently from what little I could find on this system, and tried to make sense of, your UUID is probably stored on a third party site with your health status.  When someone is wearing the HUD, if they see you have blood to give they can feed upon you.  If you haven't been entered into their system, they can easily just stand next to you and start feeding as well and then your status will be uploaded and updated to the system.  

Considering there are supposedly 8000 active progeny vampires, we probably have all been marked at one point or another, and probably all exist somewhere on their database with our health status.

As far as I know, the only information they have gathered is the UUID, everything else is generated on their side.  I would be more weary of the many bots out there scraping your profile and storing that data on third party sites, it is just the reality of being on SL, you are constantly being recorded by bots, by security devices, by games, etc.  Don't share your private information with anyone, don't share too much on your profile, there really is not much LL can do to prevent it other than make a few rules, but that will unlikely to occur considering how many security systems are reliant upon it, and gawdz knows what else.

Anyway, the forums are mostly just us residents chatting it up with one another, and having fun, it is very unlikely you will contact or even register on the radar of any moles or Lindens here, it is best to just file a ticket.  If you are trying to spread awareness against the vampire system, then this might be the place to do it, if you rile up enough people, but otherwise it is not likely to go away anytime soon.

I don't think they are actually stalking you, as in they know every location you are at, follow you around, etc.  I think the game simply requires these RPing vampires to feed or die, you are probably just another source of blood for their game that has no real interest to the players outside of a supply of food (as is every other resident in the game)

And no, I'm not a vampire.  I don't see the appeal of it.

Where is the consent to be put on a third party database? Where is the option to opt in or out?

There are none. That's the issue.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:
5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I would like an explanation from Paul as to why he finds pleasure in annoying other people.

And a good follow up question would be why some enjoy being annoyed since after all, being easily annoyed is a choice.

How do you decide the degree to which another should be annoyed?  This would have to be based on your assessment of reality, and why should your beliefs be the default?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Lauren Mortal said:

I was in the furniture store in-world today, and I was camming around looking at products. When I returned to my avatar, there was another shopper standing right up against my avatar. I attached my progeny scanner HUD and was revealed they were a progeny vampire!!

I'm always getting harassed by these things is there really no way to opt out of this experience?? I do not like the feeling of being stalked while I'm out shopping!

I learn something new every day. I didn't even know there was a progency scanner HUD. I lost my soul many years ago though when I allowed a vampire to bite me. 

I'm sorry to hear you are feeling stalked. Maybe while you shop you could make your avatar invisible. I sometimes do. Without a visible avatar I am able to shop in peace. 

• Like 4

• Moles

I think it's time to put the vampires back in their tomb for a while, since the topic has been pretty thoroughly explored.

To summarise -- If you think you're being harassed, file an abuse report.    Also block your harasser.   Depending on what viewer you're using, derender may be an option.    Consider reporting the matter to the data protection authority in your jurisdiction.   Garlic necklaces may or may not help.

I'm now locking the thread before we descend into a discussion of  what sort of sauce to eat with our stake and chips (see thread on the Official Viewer v Firestorm).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 19

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 248 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.