Please Sir, I want more

Teresa Firelight

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 227 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Parcels are based on the 512 sqm parcel, or 16mx32m. To get a 1024 sqm parcel it takes 2 512sqm blocks. You can either stack them one on top of the other or set them side by side. 

1024.thumb.png.d399b29a078cc6091c36f61f9e6bc0c7.png

A 2048 sqm parcel takes four of these 512s. So anyway you stack them it's still the same. There's no way to get a square.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

Parcels are based on the 512 sqm parcel, or 16mx32m. To get a 1024 sqm parcel it takes 2 512sqm blocks. You can either stack them one on top of the other or set them side by side. 

1024.thumb.png.d399b29a078cc6091c36f61f9e6bc0c7.png

A 2048 sqm parcel takes four of these 512s. So anyway you stack them it's still the same. There's no way to get a square.

So basically we need SuperDuperUber-Premium with free 4096 m² tier? (for 64m squares)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think it would be a mistake to build out too many more ranches before the next PP theme is released. Bear in mind that some people will only have upgraded on a temporary basis to try out the new theme, others will prefer whatever the next one is, and oversupply of 2048s is significantly more wasteful than the oversupply of 512s or 1024s they're already dealing with in other themes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Chloe Bunny said:

My hand is up and asking for the Fantisseria coast to be released, (at some point in the not too distant future preferably closer to now than further away...)

I wonder why LL hasn't released the coastal Fantasseria regions? What is the advantage of paying for space on servers when no one is paying tier for those parcels? Are they maybe considering doing something different with those regions, such as 512 m or 2048 m parcels?

56 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I wonder why LL hasn't released the coastal Fantasseria regions? What is the advantage of paying for space on servers when no one is paying tier for those parcels? Are they maybe considering doing something different with those regions, such as 512 m or 2048 m parcels?

I can only speculate that they move staff around, they do not have personell enough to work on all fronts the same time. So important stuff happens, or people get ill, and other things has to wait.

Just my guess. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Doubt it, the Fantasseria coastline is already completely built out and landscaped. and I can't see LL creating another Fantasseria continent in the foreseeable future.  Fantasy homes, good parcels to my eyes, are continuously available on the Land Page.  And as I noted in the SSP thread, I'm still furtively hoping that new Fantasseria models will be added to the current choices, which might enhance that theme's popularity.

I don't know what LL is thinking, but I know what I  would be thinking were I a Linden.  At some point LL intends to close the "classic" Linden Home continents.  What makes a better story:

Hello, classic Linden Home resident!  We would like to welcome you to Bellisseria!  Next week we will be releasing highly sought after COASTAL regions for the Fantasy, Sakura, Log Home, Victorian, and Newbrooke Premium themes, as well as the popular Ranch and <NEW> Premium Plus themes.   Please take this chance to upscale your Linden Home experience with the best Bellisseria has to offer!  All Bellisseria themes will be available on the Land Page starting next Monday. Remember, your new Linden Premium Home will come with twice the LI allocation as your current Linden Home, at no cost to you :) Please visit the Belli Demo region to choose which themes you'd most like to try.

OR

Hello, classic Linden Home resident!  We would like to welcome you to Bellisseria, where your Linden Home will come with at least twice the LI allocation as your current Linden Home, at no cost to you! Just go to the land page and select from whatever themes are currently available :)  Please visit the Belli Demo region to choose which themes you'd most like to try.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

OR

The third option:

"You stuff has been returned to you from Parcel Name Unknown, Region name <unavailable>"

- It's LL's unwillingness to do this that has likely kept those regions around. Some portion of the people in them, no matter what message was sent out - would see this option first.

I don't know how often it happens, but I imagine there are people who still actively pick those old regions for various reasons. The cost of keeping them open is probably notably lower than the profit made from accounts using them - especially with modern era cloud servers.

I had one of the new fantasy region homes a while back. I felt the region was a bit too graphically intense outside of the lot. Too much visual clutter. And like some others I've read; I wanted it to be more fantasy than it ended up being. That the sides of it still don't connect to other regions for sailing was also a major detraction for me.

• Like 4

@Nika Talaj

Those are both better than my expectation of what LL will tell the old Linden Home uses.

"Linden Lab will be discontinuing the old Linden Homes in January 2024. Please pick a new home in one of our new themes on the SL Land page. Your items will be returned to your Lost and Found folder if you do not pick them up by Jan. x 2024."

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

Doubt it, the Fantasseria coastline is already completely built out and landscaped. and I can't see LL creating another Fantasseria continent in the foreseeable future.  Fantasy homes, good parcels to my eyes, are continuously available on the Land Page.  And as I noted in the SSP thread, I'm still furtively hoping that new Fantasseria models will be added to the current choices, which might enhance that theme's popularity.

I don't know what LL is thinking, but I know what I  would be thinking were I a Linden.  At some point LL intends to close the "classic" Linden Home continents.  What makes a better story:

OR

Nika for CEO.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

I don't know how often it happens, but I imagine there are people who still actively pick those old regions for various reasons. The cost of keeping them open is probably notably lower than the profit made from accounts using them - especially with modern era cloud servers.

Also, they don't want to alienate those customers and risk them cancelling their premium membership entirely. Some won't want to move to Bellisseria due to the more restrictive covenant (they may be using their 1.0 homes for breedables and vendor boxes, plus a significant proportion are addicted to banlines and unwilling/unable to learn how security orbs work) and others are just generally change-averse. Frankly, I can't see a way of sunsetting those homes without annoying the current residents, which is another reason to keep kicking that can down the road.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sparkle Bunny said:

Also, they don't want to alienate those customers and risk them cancelling their premium membership entirely. Some won't want to move to Bellisseria due to the more restrictive covenant (they may be using their 1.0 homes for breedables and vendor boxes, plus a significant proportion are addicted to banlines and unwilling/unable to learn how security orbs work) and others are just generally change-averse. Frankly, I can't see a way of sunsetting those homes without annoying the current residents, which is another reason to keep kicking that can down the road.

What do you think of the option of keeping just one of the old Linden Home continents - the one with the dragon. Would people on the other 3 move to it, so LL could delete those?

• Like 1

There are obviously some who prefer to live in the old homes for many reasons, but I still think most residents of the old regions fall into other categories.

• Unaware that Bellisseria exists because they aren't receiving communication from LL either intentionally, language barriers, or for technical reasons
  • They know about Bellisseria, but are overwhelmed by change and have not made the effort to understand the technical details for moving
  • They have not logged on for a long time and have forgotten that they have a premium account and own a Linden Home, and have a recurring payment enabled
  • Something else
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

What do you think of the option of keeping just one of the old Linden Home continents - the one with the dragon. Would people on the other 3 move to it, so LL could delete those?

It's a nice idea, but we don't know enough to say whether this would be worth the bother to LL.  There might be more at stake here than just the servers for regions - there's got to be some (now very old) inworld scripts, backend web services, and databases to service the old Linden Homes. Maintaining all that, in parallel with Belli's new backend support, probably will become increasingly burdensome as time goes on. Not to speak of keeping customer service personnel up to speed on both systems.  If that's the case, personally I would be honest about sharing that problem with residents.

Just about the only visible system that services both older LHs and Belli is the land page; and if I were a Linden, I'd be itching to replace that with something more flexible.  

It might be best to put together a historical region or two to preserves some of the best building in the old regions (including a bit of the very nice underwater gardens) and do some splashy things to get the attention of current LH users and lure them to Belli.  Then, over time, shut off the land page for the old homes, and finally rip off the bandaid and evict the holdouts. If there's fewer than, say, a thousand holdouts, perhaps LL could hire a couple of temps to manually allocate them 512s in Belli.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

If they aren't losing money on the old ones, there's no reason to ever close them. With modern cloud services they can probably run these regions for less than what a single premium account pays.

10 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

Just about the only visible system that services both older LHs and Belli is the land page; and if I were a Linden, I'd be itching to replace that with something more flexible.  

A more modern selection page with responsive web design that on desktop will display all of the current choices above the fold is certainly possible and what I would advise.

I think the 512 m and 1024 m Newbrook homes are good replacements for the Meadowbrook homes. The 512 m and 1024 m Sakura homes are probably adequate replacements for the old Japanese style homes. I don't think the 512 m campers are a good option for people in the old Tahoe A-frames. The 1024 m Log Homes would be if those people want a 1024 m parcel, but not all of them will.

The biggest problem is the old Fantasy homes. vs. the Fantassia homes. The neighborhoods and houses are not at all similar, and there is no 512m option for a fantasy cottage.

• Like 5

I stayed with the old LHs for maybe a year and a half after Belli started. I knew all about Belli.

I resisted because I loved how open my old home was, modern with floor to ceiling windows and crazy high ceilings. When I looked at Belli homes, I felt claustrophobic. Also, Belli was laggier.

Eventually I moved into a houseboat, which still has the most open feel. Now I've mostly overcome the claustrophobia. The trads helped. Lol!

• Like 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 227 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.