Please Sir, I want more

Teresa Firelight

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 227 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Maybe the Lindens need to limit one per customer/credit card for some of the Game of Homes gals.

Why in the world would LL limit something that gives them money? Let people own as many Linden Homes as they can afford. It's not like LL is running out of land or having to manage utilities or a RL infrastructure. They don't have to pay for fire departments or a sewage system. They don't have to worry about homeless people camping in vacant lots because there aren't enough low cost apartments or mental health services. They don't even have to worry about having to buy ad time or kiss prim babies before the next election.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Maybe the Lindens need to limit one per customer/credit card for some of the Game of Homes gals.

I honestly wonder how representative this subforum is of the general population of SL. Just like in most other aspects I'd guess the Forums are once again "Not representative at all!". I doubt the multipremium-account holders are common enough to matter in the big picture. 

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like we got More Ranch homes!! Yay!! and thank you Linden Lab and Moles! From what I can gather, there are 13 new regions. One is a homestead and 12 are residential:

MAP:

__01__  __02__  __03__  __04__  __05__  __06__  __07__

__08__  __09__  __10__  __AA__  __BB__  __CC__  __DD__

__11__  __12__  __13__  __EE__

__FF__  __GG__ __HH__  __II__

KEY:

(new Regions)

01 = Okay Corrale

02 = Jellyside Downs

03 = Dreadmore Falls

04 = Caribou (a homestead)

05 = Three Acres

06 = Mynahs Rest

07 = Mz Trueheart

08 = Donegal

09 = luvay

10 = Tree Fiddy

11 = Sweetiepie

12 = Sneaky Pete

13 = Rileys Branch

Existing Regions

AA = Buzzard

BB = Thunderthud

CC = Mint Julep

DD = Mighty Dog

EE = Muskrat Love

FF = Wolverine

GG = Comeuppance

HH = Gilead

II = Polka Time

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

53 minutes ago, Sparkle Bunny said:

My money is still on the next 2048s being Selling Sunset-style luxury modern. Nobody will be able to claim the swimming pools and helipads are out of theme, though I personally will still have reservations about the elephants.

Sunset (the magazine) style homes would be nice, but I'm hoping for Itallian-style villas. There's been enough American style Linden Homes. We need to have some European or other styles.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I just want something fun and DIFFERENT. 

Yes, well ... you know, many of us here are fairly capable oldbies ...it would be silly to rely on the moles to make all of our dreams come true within the LH model.   In a seasonal estate, I'm having a lot of fun working on my own version of fantasy :) 

absinthe_001.thumb.jpg.c875daf6ef497dcac8d8afb631d0d6e8.jpg

• Like 11

7 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I just want something fun and DIFFERENT. 

That's what mainland and private sims are for. There are well-run estates - the Chung properties, the Grove, etc., where everything looks good but there is more imagination.

Bellessaria is, by design, rather banal. There's a market for that. A big one. If they get away from banal, as with the fantasy regions, nobody knows what to do. Curved walls! Help!

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

Yes, well ... you know, many of us here are fairly capable oldbies ...it would be silly to rely on the moles to make all of our dreams come true within the LH model.   In a seasonal estate, I'm having a lot of fun working on my own version of fantasy :) 

absinthe_001.thumb.jpg.c875daf6ef497dcac8d8afb631d0d6e8.jpg

This is lovely! I've never had a full region to decorate.

8 hours ago, animats said:

That's what mainland and private sims are for. There are well-run estates - the Chung properties, the Grove, etc., where everything looks good but there is more imagination.

Bellessaria is, by design, rather banal. There's a market for that. A big one. If they get away from banal, as with the fantasy regions, nobody knows what to do. Curved walls! Help!

I have mainland.  I enjoy making my own little paradise with full creative control.

I also love Bellisseria and the themed regions.  I like the challenge of decorating within a theme and even the challenge of decorating on a limited land impact allowance. 

I have never once considered renting from another resident.

Did you make your way into the Linden Home subforum just to insult it and the people who choose to live in one?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

This is lovely! I've never had a full region to decorate.

Thank you!  Actually, I just have a parcel.  The lighthouse on the left belongs to another resident. 

IA lot of folks are leery of private estates, I'm not.  I've known this estate owner for about 10 years, she's wonderful, has a very stable life and is active in landscaping and the estate's social life. As are the folks at The Grove and Calas Galadhon.  Say what you will about Prok, he also is/was somewhat active in decorating and social occasions.   

When the original owner/creator of the Fruit Islands estate had to give it up due to illness, he managed a transfer to Zoha Islands that was fair to all current residents.  Eventually we left, since Zoha was a more "corporate" experience than we liked.  But I have NEVER experienced any sort of loss when renting from an estate.  You just have to pick a quality one.

These estates created long-term communities with excellent retention long before LL emulated them in Belli, after years of prodding on the forums and in meetings by people like me (and, doubtless, Patch before he joined LL). 

I love the freedom on both private estates and on (selected areas!) Mainland.  And I love what Belli offers as well.

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 7

15 hours ago, animats said:

6 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Did you make your way into the Linden Home subforum just to insult it and the people who choose to live in one?

Most of Belli is banal by design, I assume so as to appeal to the most people. The one theme that is not - Fantassaria - is the least popular, though it's hard to pin down why. Some say the environment is too busy (not banal enough?), though I think the houses themselves should be more unusual.

Tastes vary, but as most realtors will tell sellers, removing personal items and unusual decor helps potential buyers to imagine adding their own personal touches.

Besides, people don't know how to hang a painting on a curved wall, let alone put a sofa or set of shelves against one.

• Like 3

On 9/11/2023 at 8:48 PM, Persephone Emerald said:

Sunset (the magazine) style homes would be nice, but I'm hoping for Itallian-style villas. There's been enough American style Linden Homes. We need to have some European or other styles.

The non - American styles are not popular. Chalets, Fantasy and Sakura. All of them struggle to fill up 50%. Half of the homes are empty.

Maybe LL can create an Italian style that people will love... or people will not like it. It will not be Italian enough, or too cliche Italian.

It can be easier for the Moles and Lindens to make something they are familiar with.

The 'American way of living' is well known in the world, through movies and Tv-shows. And in Europe, modern houses look more or less like American ones.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

In keeping with the theme of American interpretations of Non-American home styles,

A Mediterranean style home in Los Angeles, California:
Mediterranean_Home_Los_Angeles.jpg.458c3505607edaf9dee3f772197fd9c7.jpg

An Italian inspired home in Las Vegas, Nevada:
Italian-style-Las-Vegas.jpg.6242865ca008763cb84860365647b019.jpg

A Tuscan style home in the Napa Valley, California:
Italian-Tuscan-Home-Napa.jpg.69aed05bf79541013d9dcc3dcccea2c9.jpg

and a Gothic Italian style home in Scottsdale, Arizona:
Gothic-Italian-Villa-Scotsdale.thumb.jpg.563ea2fad9ef82ebbd1c10b748f073c1.jpg

Btw, the Moles are not all American.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Most of Belli is banal by design, I assume so as to appeal to the most people. The one theme that is not - Fantassaria - is the least popular, though it's hard to pin down why. Some say the environment is too busy (not banal enough?), though I think the houses themselves should be more unusual.

So for me... with 2/3rds of my avatars being fantasy - I should be right in there. But I didn't care for the theme for these reasons:

• The houses don't look fantasy enough. They're modern buildings with glowy things around them.
    • All the mushrooms just remind me of Elder Scroll's Dark Elf zones...
  • The surrounds are full of intense clutter that blocks my ability to have a long camera view. I have more open scenery in the 'Amazon Jungle' estate... O.o
    • There is so much visual clutter that I have barely any idea what the area looks like outside the bounds of the walls of any home I've ever had in there.
    • Too many glowy things in that clutter that mess up my view, lag my system unnecessarily. I have a, for 2019 high end system. So I don't suffer, but I'd rather use those computer resources on other things.
  • Poor water access. I can only sail into and out of the area through one point. That is a major gripe for me.

So yeah... the zone is "too wild" while the houses are "too banal" is about half of it.

I think a lot of people have said that they wanted more homes like the old linden home fantasy theme - just updated to modern SL technology. We wanted wizard towers, hobbit homes, and fairy huts. We got Los Angleles suburban house in Morrowind.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

The non - American styles are not popular. Chalets, Fantasy and Sakura. All of them struggle to fill up 50%. Half of the homes are empty.

I get why the Fantasy and Japanese homes are unpopular.

I just posted for Fantasy. For the Japanese ones it's the lack of a coast. Yes there is a river you can navigate all around in. I swam through there on my mermaid just the other day and it's not all that bad. But the lack of a coast bugs me. I have the same issue with Ranches. Then... the homes all have too many internal doors... I couldn't find a layout I liked.

Chalet baffles me. It has some great internal layouts - the regions are wide an open and full of little spots to explore and hang out in. It's like the Victorian area, only better. And it has a lot of spots with good waterways nearby. Even some lots that you can launch a boat off of. For a while I was planning to put in a ticket to get a houseboat and chalet that were side by side and had nothing but a little green bit of ground between them - would feel like one lot even if I could NOT (post edit) share prim totals. There are a lot of spots like that. I cannot mentally figure out why Chalet is not popular. It's even a house style I see all over the world - including in the USA.

If the Grandview style of log home did not exist, I'd be in a Chalet for my main spot.

But I managed to find a grandview that looks out over a cliff with mountains behind me and trees all around, and the Chalet I wanted had a houseboat across the river with a 10-second auto-banlist security orb and another lot nest to it with a 30-m tall tree in the middle of the water. This matters because a boat on that river would have a hard time NOT entering that orb parcel for a few seconds...

The ARs to both went unsuccessful - so when looking for a better Chalet I flew past a log home on a cliff... then found one that was not taken that also let the grandview face the right way. Close call for me though.

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here's the previous discussion, really a survey, of opinions about Fantasseria, I found it very interesting: https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/496466-fantassaria-survey/#comment-2563714

As to Chalets, they baffle me a little differently than they baffle you, Unilway!  I like the neighborhoods a lot.  LOVE the big river.   I rolled a couple of nice ones, but when I tried to furnish them, all I could think of was all yodel-ay-hee-hoo.

Yech.  I believe this is MY problem, not a problem with the theme.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

Here's the previous discussion, really a survey, of opinions about Fantasseria, I found it very interesting: https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/496466-fantassaria-survey/#comment-2563714

I just read that entire thread.

A lot of people actually defending the theme.

I did notice one thing when visiting it today - there's a LOT of atmospheric blue. The land, some effects, and so on all give a blue feel to the place. Blue is often a color of depression. Yet at the same time our computer screens have a LOT of blue light that keeps us awake (in the last decade a lot of screens have had a 'night mode' option that slowly adds red tones to the color 'warmth' to keep your screen from keeping you awake. Many of these are too drastic so most people I know disable them...).

Now I'm wondering if the color scheme of the place makes is mentally disturbing to a lot of people. If that is so, it would work to keep folks away without them knowing why they're not liking it.

That said, if it's half occupied, that still means a LOT of people picked it. Not as many as some other themes, but still quite a lot.

I notice a LOT of water side empty homes in there. Too bad the place only has one route to sail in and out.

I feel weird being a mostly fantasy themed person, with a look on this avatar that very much fits Morrowind, yet not going for a home in that region. That said I don't care to have a spot unless I'm constantly using it. I have 2 linden homes right now and that often feels like too many - I wanted a place to put my boats, and a place that felt like a hideaway. I suppose fantasy would be a hideaway - very few green dots in there. ;)

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 227 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.