"SL20B Is Open - and you can win in our biggest giveaway ever"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It's a shame about the car not being available for the UK...if I pass my practical test next month, that'd be quite useful! 

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

In the US, people create informal "lottery pools" by going in on a group of tickets; if anyone in the group wins, they all share.

Darn it!  That model doesn't work here since only the entries of friends from the US could win.

We could all agree to sell the car...then if everyone on the forum joins the pool, the winner can sell it and send us $100 each 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

As a non-USA person, I honestly couldn't care less about that US-only prize or about US-too prizes. I'm not here for giveaways but for fun, and I don't think that SL would be more attractive to me if I was a USA person.

Also, I don't think they aren't aware that they also have customers from outside of the USA. For example, there's the option of putting languages you speak in your profile, which would make it easier to find people from your place/speaking your language if wanted, and there are several country/language forums, too. 

That car prize thing probably is just too legally or organizationally troublesome, I doubt that they intentionally decided, "oh, let's take a prize that only US people can enter for, and annoy the people that will be annoyed by that". That said, sure, they probably could've done "Premium account for 20 years" instead, but then, people would've said, "and what if they, or I, won't be around for 20 more years, can I get the cash?", or something, and while I'd be very happy with a 20 years premium account prize, a car probably is a bigger "Wow! prize" for many. And I absolutely understand not wanting to do troublesome things, the world is too troublesome, as it is, without oneself adding more to it.

Just to add another point of view from a non-USA person. Wishing you all best of luck with the draw, and with your car, or the cash from selling it, should you be the lucky one!

But now that I know I can win Premium, I guess I'll need to log in... How bothersome... ;)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, InnerCity Elf said:

As a non-USA person, I honestly couldn't care less about that US-only prize or about US-too prizes. I'm not here for giveaways but for fun, and I don't think that SL would be more attractive to me if I was a USA person.

Hear hear!  :D

Sweepstakes are promotional tools.
Both Chevrolet and LL are in it to drum up publicity. Nothing else.
Chevrolet isn't interested in publicity outside the USA, because they concentrate fully on the American market, for years already. Having a non-USA winner would be trowing money away for this GM company. They want nice stories in the local press all over the USA continent.
And LL has cheap advertisement as well.

That is how commerce works. Get over it folks. There is no such thing as a free lunch.
Maybe LL didn't think it all trough before agreeing to it, but don't forget this sweepstakes thingy is only a side order in the whole pallet of work that goes in organizing an event like SL20B: publications, interviews, press releases, the build of a complete new mall for the shop and hop, the central stages of the SLB exhibits, a handful of extra LabGabs, most likely a new Belliseria theme and and and.... I'd say, cut them some slack.

All non USA residents simply will not win. Just like all the Americans that enter the competition, except one person: the eventual winner.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

All non USA residents simply will not win. Just like all the Americans that enter the competition, except one person: the eventual winner.

Exactly. It's not as if we've been denied a car. Rather, we've been denied an almost imperceptibly tiny chance of winning a car. Sure, another group can compete for that negligible probability of winning, but the difference in expected value between entering and not entering the contest is de minimis

We would not make minimum wage for the several seconds it takes to pick up such small change in the street. Some of us are OCD enough to do it anyway, perhaps inspired by Warren Buffett (who, it is said, could not afford to pay himself to pick up $100 notes). Paint a shiny new car on that small change—hyping a sweepstakes "prize" to make it seem significant—and of course everybody wants to pick it up.

• Like 4

So, if making a "big" giveaway accessible to international users was a priority, then LL would have either a) paid their lawyers to "make it happen", or b) paid a "sweepstakes firm" that has international capabilities.

By selecting a Chevy Volt, there's the "wiggle room" of possibly saying, "Sorry, your country does not allow this car and/or Chevy will not be able to support it if imported".

From that point of view, ANY car could have the same problem.  So, possibly a "cash giveaway" or "something-not-a-car that can be sent anywhere" would have been a better choice.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2023 at 8:39 AM, Fionalein said:

Please explain why your company advertises the National Sweepstake in German. So you went through all the pain to translate the information text just to tell me I'm not allowed in? Have you - even for one brief moment -  considered the message you imply?

@Patch Linden

Because it's required by US law, every state has rules on contests like this. There is both a national US contest and a global contest if you study the terminals, so you click the global one.

I'm only just now realizing this is an actual RL car, not a car for SL. Wow!1

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

, @Patch Linden

Let's say someone with a lifetime account wins a second one... (because they entered lottery before buying) what good will that be? Can someone withdraw from the lottery?

...asking for a friend...

Would be cool if you could "gift" the Lifetime account to one of your Alts!

• Like 1

The drawing was "on or about July 6th".

WINNER NOTIFICATION

The potential winners will be notified via email and will then be required to sign and return, a Declaration of Eligibility/Release of Liability and where legal, a Publicity Release within 48 hours of notification attempt. Noncompliance within this time period may result in disqualification and an alternate winner being selected. Prize or prize notification returned as non-deliverable will result in disqualification and the prize will be forfeited and an alternate winner will be selected and notified as indicated above.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

The drawing was "on or about July 6th".

WINNER NOTIFICATION

The potential winners will be notified via email and will then be required to sign and return, a Declaration of Eligibility/Release of Liability and where legal, a Publicity Release within 48 hours of notification attempt. Noncompliance within this time period may result in disqualification and an alternate winner being selected. Prize or prize notification returned as non-deliverable will result in disqualification and the prize will be forfeited and an alternate winner will be selected and notified as indicated above.

Bad time to go on a 48-hour vacation / sabattical / natural disaster / internet outage!

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I wonder if Lindens and Moles were eligible?

No, that's written into the rules we all claimed we'd read when we entered. Same is true for things like the candy hunts they run. Which also means you know if someone wins, they were not secretly a Linden/Mole after all.

18 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Nothing says that they will definitely post the winner names anywhere.  You can request a list of winners though:

image.thumb.png.e046b88d2f2e00fabfdb16476872ae4e.png

Wonder if the winners will be notified or do all entrants need to contact them to find out if they won.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.