What is the most popular body nowadays?

Afkgirl101

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 319 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone. I've come back to SL after another long break. I have been using the LoveMomma body to experience pregnancy and birth but I have since given birth and no longer want to wear this as it has limited clothing options. I planned to go back to my Slink Hourglass body and have since learned Slink left SL the beginning of this year. So, what's the most popular body now? I would prefer it to be BOM as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 3

Clothing and body style matters a lil bit more these days. Most popular for what?

Slender/thin and reaches into all markets from casual to formal to sci-fi/fantasy with a tremendously large furry mod catalog - Maitreya.

Curvy/thick and reaches into all markets from casual to formal to sci-fi/fantasy with a very respectable furry mod catalog - eBody Reborn.

Slender to somewhat curvy and reaches into all markets from casual to formal to sci-fi/fantasy with a tremendously large furry mod catalog, plus a few alt/cyberpunk/techwear designers who are exclusive to the brand - Legacy.

All three have no shortage of skins and various human body mods (squishy parts, flat chests, petite chests, etc.) and dominate most events.

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Fixing stuffs
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

If you were happy with Hourglass there's always Belleza Freya (it's discounted now, and some of your existing wardrobe probably has Freya fits included) , though Reborn is growing in popularity and is the better option for new clothing.

• Like 5

Maitreya can do curvy shapes, but in my experience, the curves start to look more like angles at the upper end. You can certainly make it bigger, and in clothes it will look fine. Nekkid, I was surprised by how much more fluid the curves looked on Legacy at the same size. (I don't mean same numbers/sliders, I mean visually making them look the same size. I stood next to a life-size picture of me to approximate it.)

That said, I still wear it more often for the lower lag and because I rarely even have to check whether a clothing item comes in it.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Trinity Blakewell said:

Seconding what @Ayashe Ninetails posted, but I just don't understand why everyone thinks you can only do a slender/thin body with Maitreya. I've done plenty of curvy shapes with it. Just not exaggerated Kupra-style bodies.

That's very true, but my thinking with that list was someone who was looking for a more complete and easier-to-achieve full-figured experience. Reborn tends to deliver more on that (with Juicy Boobs, Juicy Rolls, Soft Thighs, etc. and good clothing support for the add-ons). Maitreya has some of that, too, but it takes a bit more work to get it there.

• Like 3

As already mentioned, Maitreya, Reborn and Legacy. Mostly depends on what kind of look you want for yourself. I would definitely not get Freya. it's pretty much abandoned body and while there's plenty of old content available it won't be any better than Hourglass when it comes to new releases and clothes. And clothes might improve a bit with upcoming PBR release, so getting old ones (especially at full price) will feel quite bad as well as missing on all the new shinies.

The rest is really up to personal preferences. I've been quite happy with Maitreya for many many years, but these days I rarely swap back to it unless it's for some very specific RP outfit. Newer bodies just look better, much better. Especially if you put them side by side.

If Belleza Gen X bodies will get themselves out of the hole they put themselves to with their awful release and pricing, then classic version might become a decent option for the more slim/fit looks. But I wouldn't suggest getting one yet even at their 50% sales, unless just to keep it for later when it might become more usable.

• Like 2

For clothing support Maitreya still wins, and its a good body. I have been using it since release, first normal and later switched to their petite option. I did finally switch to a different body couple months ago because Maitreya is slacking on updating and even though its a good body, it feels like the other bodies are more next gen.

I went with Legacy myself, which seems to have about as good support for outfits. I did pick Perky, so that is a bit less supported by I just liked it better.

My opinion, Maitreya has a way better HUD, and I prefer their feet much more on how they look and the extra ballerina pose Maitreya has. Also the fact that you can buy the normal body, and add the petite addon so you can use both. On Legacy the normal and the perky are entire bodies.

With the exception of the feet, I do like the rest of the Legacy body better. Most notably the shoulders are so much better on them compared to Maitreya, which mostly shows in posing and animations, but the entire body is more fluent and generally better looking. Biggest let down is the HUD. And even though Perky also comes with an extra petite option, it's not as petite as Maitreya Petite, so I do have slightly bigger boobs now than I preferred and had with Maitreya Petite. Better looking boobs though :)

Do also have a Reborn on an alt and its a really good body too. To me Reborn is at its best in a more curvy look. You can also make slim looks, but IMO if you want slim, Legacy is better at that (and Maitreya), and the other way around, if you like Curvy you can make this with all bodies, but Reborn feels best at it.

Most important advise, that is already given, is demo. See what you prefer.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

For clothing support Maitreya still wins, and its a good body. I have been using it since release, first normal and later switched to their petite option. I did finally switch to a different body couple months ago because Maitreya is slacking on updating and even though its a good body, it feels like the other bodies are more next gen.

I went with Legacy myself, which seems to have about as good support for outfits. I did pick Perky, so that is a bit less supported by I just liked it better.

My opinion, Maitreya has a way better HUD, and I prefer their feet much more on how they look and the extra ballerina pose Maitreya has. Also the fact that you can buy the normal body, and add the petite addon so you can use both. On Legacy the normal and the perky are entire bodies.

With the exception of the feet, I do like the rest of the Legacy body better. Most notably the shoulders are so much better on them compared to Maitreya, which mostly shows in posing and animations, but the entire body is more fluent and generally better looking. Biggest let down is the HUD. And even though Perky also comes with an extra petite option, it's not as petite as Maitreya Petite, so I do have slightly bigger boobs now than I preferred and had with Maitreya Petite. Better looking boobs though :)

Do also have a Reborn on an alt and its a really good body too. To me Reborn is at its best in a more curvy look. You can also make slim looks, but IMO if you want slim, Legacy is better at that (and Maitreya), and the other way around, if you like Curvy you can make this with all bodies, but Reborn feels best at it.

Most important advise, that is already given, is demo. See what you prefer.

Isnt Legacy quite complex as a body? In that case it might affect performance for lower end computers and in regions with a lot going on…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Always Incognito said:

Isnt Legacy quite complex as a body? In that case it might affect performance for lower end computers and in regions with a lot going on…

It's on more complex end, but all mesh bodies with alpha cuts are "bad" in that regard. Amount of triangles, which it has plenty of thanks to its feet (for some really unknown reason, if they weren't it would be within range of most other bodies), is secondary.

Mostly because compared to the hair, clothes and other stuff people wear it's really not much. I have hairstyles that are as heavy on triangles as the whole body, I have clothes that are up to 4 times as heavy as the body and so on. It's not some rare findings either, a lot of mainstream and very popular creators that you can find on every big event are the ones who do that, so it's literally everywhere you go to.

And that's not even taking rezzed things to account. Those can be even worse, and are very often very heavy on VRAM used. I've seen a rather small skybox at some event recently that used over 1.5GB VRAM. So people on low end computers will struggle regardless, at least for avatars they can enable friends only mode.

And last, but not least, there always will be someone one a 1.5 decades old hardware who struggles with SL's performance. There always will be people with different phobias around SL, too. There will be people who are/will get offended with your clothing choice as well as SL is worldwide, so there are people of many religions and beliefs in it. You (nor anyone else) really shouldn't compromise own SL experience in order to make those people happy. They are free to find the SL experience that fits them.

Edited by steeljane42
typos
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, Trinity Blakewell said:

Seconding what @Ayashe Ninetails posted, but I just don't understand why everyone thinks you can only do a slender/thin body with Maitreya. I've done plenty of curvy shapes with it. Just not exaggerated Kupra-style bodies.

Aye. And I too must second a curvy Maitreya.

Other than that, demo all you can. The "best" body  out there is the one you feel most "yourself" in.

• Like 1

Blush and all my other alts, except for Debi, my main, use Maitreya. I've used Maitreya since its release. But I prefer Debi to be rather on the short side with narrow shoulders and small boobs. I've found that the Legacy Perky works best for my image of what Debi should look like. I was really reluctant to switch her from Maitreya Petite to Legacy Perky, because of my relationship to Maitreya and the "heavy mesh" argument. But I have to say I've not noticed any kind of performance hit using the Legacy. Even going to maxed out regions where I've had to wait to get an opening just to get into the region, I've not noticed a difference. For me I don't like the "curvy" look. I have too much of that in RL, not going there when I can be and look like anything I want in SL, so the Reborn just isn't a body I like. I've demo'd it and can't get anything near to what I'm comfortable using in SL.

So like others have said it's best to demo all the main bodies for yourself. And while you're at it, I suggest you demo clothing made for those bodies to see which rig you like better. I noticed a rather big difference with Blueberry clothing that's rigged for Legacy and Maitreya. I much prefer the rig Blueberry does for Legacy over Maitreya especially in the butt and shoulder areas. So that is something else to consider.

Try not to get in a rush to make a decision just because you want a change. I hope you can enjoy the process. :) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Always Incognito said:

There is also some degree of reliance on an external server if they ever do a Slink and leave SL it may leave TMP classic and Lagacy unusable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I think the reliance on the external server is related to the HUD? It does a check to make sure you're wearing the Legacy Body, and that's where the external server may be involved. Sometimes one needs to refresh with a newly unpacked body and HUD, it's almost like they stop communicating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

There is also some degree of reliance on an external server if they ever do a Slink and leave SL it may leave TMP classic and Lagacy unusable.

It's rare that I even attach the HUD. I use BoM for nearly everything so no need to rely on appliers. The new chat commands are extremely helpful. I wish they had chat commands for heel heights. That's about the only time I use the HUD. Fortunately, many of my shoes automatically set the heel height when I wear the shoes. Some don't though and then it's a pain.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, steeljane42 said:

If Belleza Gen X bodies will get themselves out of the hole they put themselves to with their awful release and pricing, then classic version might become a decent option for the more slim/fit looks. But I wouldn't suggest getting one yet even at their 50% sales, unless just to keep it for later when it might become more usable.

I'd definitely explore owning a Classic at some point ... but my favourite clothing designers either do not support it yet, or offer only a very very limited number of items to buy, I can't. Not sure what it would take but I'd want at least 25% of the favourite items in my wardrobe to be available and it's no where near that mark yet. I'm stupidly willing to rebuy the same outfits ... they just are not yet available.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Trinity Blakewell said:

I think the reliance on the external server is related to the HUD? It does a check to make sure you're wearing the Legacy Body, and that's where the external server may be involved. Sometimes one needs to refresh with a newly unpacked body and HUD, it's almost like they stop communicating.

The latest legacy update you can do those things with chat commands now, from what I remember. 

ETA: I went to double check myself to make sure what was in the commands.. The main concern for a lot was that if the server ever went off line that the body would become useless because of the section of the hud that you had to switch things to bom plus other things in that section that would be unavailable..

Now much can be done without having to connect to an outside server..

This is for  version 1.5 of Classic and Legacy bodies..:)

LOCAL CHAT COMMANDS
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

Voiced by the community, you can now easily access certain features of the body by typing these commands into local chat.

/1meshbody heart on
/1meshbody heart off

/1meshbody toenails on
/1meshbody toenails off

/1meshbody fingernails on
/1meshbody fingernails off

/1meshbody bom on
/1meshbody bom off

/1meshbody reset
/1meshbody delete scripts

/1meshbody clear layer 1
/1meshbody clear layer 2
/1meshbody clear layer 3
/1meshbody clear layer 4

/1meshbody clear socks
/1meshbody clear gloves
/1meshbody clear neckfade

/1meshbody toggle layer 1
/1meshbody toggle layer 2
/1meshbody toggle layer 3
/1meshbody toggle layer 4

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Trinity Blakewell said:

The "Styles" tab uses Media On A Prim. It's used to store your appliers, so you can re-apply the applier from your HUD instead of having to find/attach the other creator's applier again. This will stop working if they take away the server. The "please actually wear the body" message doesn't require an external server, that check can be done with just LSL.

image.thumb.png.17ed3214f6d956c1a9b70413a5cd101a.png

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 5/31/2023 at 3:18 PM, Afkgirl101 said:

Hi everyone. I've come back to SL after another long break. I have been using the LoveMomma body to experience pregnancy and birth but I have since given birth and no longer want to wear this as it has limited clothing options. I planned to go back to my Slink Hourglass body and have since learned Slink left SL the beginning of this year. So, what's the most popular body now? I would prefer it to be BOM as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There are new bodies by the Lab, or at least to be made available by the Lab, that may shift things around. You may want to save your money and wait. Spend your time experimenting and learning. You'll need to figure out if Alpha Cuts or Alpha Layers are better for you. For instance, I prefer Alpha Layers for my body. But I use a mix of applies (aka texture layers/onionskin) and system layers on my head.

There are other aspects of the new bodies that may make many of the existing bodies, skins, and clothes obsolete... or not. We aren't exactly sure. Slink took the next step forward by stepping away from the existing mesh and UV layout for bodies. Will these new bodies use those improvements we've asked for for years?

In SL "BEST" is a very personal concept. We have so much variety and numerous options that all play into what we are doing and how we use SL. It gets way too complicated to do comparisons and decide on an objective "best" that works for everyone.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 5/31/2023 at 11:18 PM, Afkgirl101 said:

Maitreya is the most popular by several light-years.

Legacy and Reborn second but waaaay behind.

Everything else is nowhere.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

As already pointed above it's not an issue since the 1.5 updates (current is 1.6). The only remaining part that might become unavailable if they ever take down the servers is default nail appliers/colors. The rest can be done via chat commands and/or via applying stuff from the original appliers and not via their media portion of the HUD. Given that they've finally released a nails dev kit with 1.5 update it really doesn't matter.

8 hours ago, Trinity Blakewell said:

It does a check to make sure you're wearing the Legacy Body

Many things do that. Lelutka HUD doesn't use MOAP, but if you'll attach the HUD without the head on it'll tell you to attach the head before it becomes usable.

7 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

I'd definitely explore owning a Classic at some point ... but my favourite clothing designers either do not support it yet, or offer only a very very limited number of items to buy, I can't. Not sure what it would take but I'd want at least 25% of the favourite items in my wardrobe to be available and it's no where near that mark yet. I'm stupidly willing to rebuy the same outfits ... they just are not yet available.

For the stores where I shop for more interesting outfits at there's probably less than 3-5% of support for gen X in total, and what makes it even worse is that some of them support curvy, some classic, and like you've said, some only on some releases.

Basic stuff like jeans, tank tops and all the rest is easier to get, because the "default" casual/urban wear stores always did support more bodies, so there's always blueberry, addams and so on. But yeah, that is nowhere enough. And even their new event is... well, more of the same. Lots and lots of generic stuff, some of which is not even new, but rather updates for gen X bodies, a couple of better releases. That's not how you get people to swap from existing bodies and start asking their favorite creators to add new body sizes.

Based on Lucia's body stats their endless 50% sales started to move their numbers a little bit more, but none of the bodies did approach even 500 units detected so far, and that's 7 months after release. To compare Reborn gets as much in two weeks in average without any sales going on.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 319 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.