Semi-popular YouTuber made a video about Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 403 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This comes up every now and then when a gaming channel is looking for some clickbait. They know people won't click on a video about trying Second Life and having a nice time. It's got to be DEAD and EMPTY and sad faces on the thumbnail. So I'm not going to click the clickbait, but let me know when someone tries to livestream one of these things and accidentally teleports into the middle of a crowd, because that'd be funny.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

ah yes, yet another video wherein someone dedicates a segment to pretending to explore and examine Second Life while not really doing either and wherein at least one of the Usual Voices from these fora pretend this is somehow the normal experience for anyone or some other tidbit of absolute BS ...

Yep ... SSDD on this particular front.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

No, there is no magical conspiracy to make crappy videos about SL.

IT👏IS👏HARD👏TO👏FIND👏PEOPLE👏WHEN👏NEW

most social places ban under 30 days on sight, and whats left .. empty isolation and shops.

SL is garbage for brand new people. They don't last 2 hours. They never come back.

Well done for being the 0.001% of signups that made a friend and stayed.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

He explored SL and found 

NO ONE 

This is the normal new user experience.

He found several people and didn't even try to talk to them. He probably didn't know how because he never bothered to learn how to communicate. Every time he saw a person or green dot, he said they were probably a bot or an NPC. He found a bunch of stores, but didn't have any money & complained that stuff took too long to rez. He managed to ride a bicycle, but otherwise didn't seem to know how to Touch or Sit on things. When he teleported into someone's home, the person was sitting in their living room & he was ejected out. 

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Where did he even find those places he visited.  I use the destination guide on a daily basis and regardless of where I go, there are at least a handful of people and well built areas.  It's like he found the worst places to visit from 15 yrs ago.

• Like 5

The point here isn't to say that the new user experience is good (it's been pants all the times I've gone through it) or that it's easy to make friends. It's the idea that nobody logs into Second Life and nobody new will ever see another avatar. Someone who visits a club and gets banned on sight has seen that there are people. Terrible experience, but a rather different one. "I tried Second Life and they all hated me!!" Or if you get dumped at an infohub, like I was the first time. "I tried Second Life and all I got was spam and people begging for money!"

As it is, people who did watch the video say he saw people and didn't try to talk to them. So my clickbait comment stands, because seeing people means it was not empty, and that was simply bait to get people to click the video. It's not a conspiracy. It's just what a lot of YouTubers do and how they got their following. Even relaxing channel themes can be prone to it, like the ASMR videos titled "ASMR 100% guaranteed make you sleep FAST and INTENSE relaxing you!!! TINGLES!!!11!!" I sympathise that people are trying to beat the algorithm and all that, but it doesn't mean I'm going to take them seriously.

• Like 3

If you skip ahead to the imvu section, he specifically searched for places that ~didn't have people in them.

The message that his audience gets from his presentation might be that SL is empty, but you can't extrapolate that it was his experience. He did mention at the end of the section that he might try it again after finding a mentor, in a way which implied that wouldn't be especially difficult.

His other criticisms about usability seem pretty on the nose though.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

No, there is no magical conspiracy to make crappy videos about SL.

IT👏IS👏HARD👏TO👏FIND👏PEOPLE👏WHEN👏NEW

most social places ban under 30 days on sight, and whats left .. empty isolation and shops.

SL is garbage for brand new people. They don't last 2 hours. They never come back.

Well done for being the 0.001% of signups that made a friend and stayed.

Maybe if people would take the stick out of their butt and stop assuming that newcomers are all trolls and griefers. Then maybe new players would feel more welcome. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

He explored SL for a good long time and had way more patience then I would have. He started at an infohub and there were a few idiots afk or brain dead. He found one person at a sim and they poofed just as he started to approach them. It was a fair representation of what a noob would experience upon joining SL.

He actually did get a response in IMVU. He asked "what's cooking" and after 48 seconds someone responded "chicken."

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I'm not sure I want to watch the Exploring Dead Games 2 video just yet, but this relatively new YouTuber has tried SL a few times now, and his new user experience is far from stellar. Still, points to him for not giving up on the world just yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think everyone needs a mentor. Plus, hopefully people still initially Rez into busy spots - so why not ask those people how to find other people?

Assuming that is your initial "home spot", a simple pointer on how to "go home" may encourage new people who find themselves alone, to go back to their "home spot" and ask how to explore.

Also, since you can always find other avatars on the map, a basic training point should be "how to find a busy place using the map" (hopefully you won't just find people AFK playing Tiny Empires under the sea, traffic bots, and AFK Slex places- like in the "old days" you were likely to find people "camping").

Isn't there, or wasn't there a way to search the Destination Guide for places that are "busy now"?

• Like 1

Given that he was unimpressed by any of the games he tried, his view of SL was at least balanced!

His point about SL's slow performance is valid though. Imagine how much more popular SL would be if everything loaded instantly, there was no lag and a smooth frame rate.

There have been times when SL's performance has been better. It seems to go up and down over time, even when my graphics settings haven't changed.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Conifer Dada said:

here have been times when SL's performance has been better. It seems to go up and down over time, even when my graphics settings haven't changed.

I've noticed a difference since it went to the cloud.

I'm using the same rig as before the cloud move happened.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

He found several people and didn't even try to talk to them. He probably didn't know how because he never bothered to learn how to communicate. Every time he saw a person or green dot, he said they were probably a bot or an NPC. He found a bunch of stores, but didn't have any money & complained that stuff took too long to rez. He managed to ride a bicycle, but otherwise didn't seem to know how to Touch or Sit on things. When he teleported into someone's home, the person was sitting in their living room & he was ejected out. 

I don't remember my first real newbie experience when I joined SL for the first time.  I remember nothing of how we started way back then at all.

When I made this alt, it was a place one lands in and you go through "steps" of learning a few things, such as walk, fly, etc. and one could earn 50 L if one completes everything.  Two people were going thru that beginner's orientation thing with me.  I already knew how to walk, fly, etc, so as soon as I could, I teleported to The Free Dove.  But, before I did tp to The Free Dove, I looked back over at the two other newbies who started at that time with me and they were practicing jumping over a bridge or jumping over something where there was no bridge, etc.  It could be they wanted to make sure they did everything perfectly to get the 50 L.  I passed and didn't want the 50 L.  I went to get some stuff from The Free Dove because I wanted to start making something original and not look like a newbie but I didn't know what I wanted to buy yet.  So, The Free Dove helped so much with that because making a shape and an avatar comes first, imo, before clothes and hair or anything expensive.  I want to have a beginning avatar first and take time to figure out what I want to buy.

But, as far as no one there, there were a few people when I started but they were busy going thru the steps for the newbies.  

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

I don't remember my first real newbie experience when I joined SL for the first time.  I remember nothing of how we started way back then at all.

When I made this alt, it was a place one lands in and you go through "steps" of learning a few things, such as walk, fly, etc. and one could earn 50 L if one completes everything.  Two people were going thru that beginner's orientation thing with me.  I already knew how to walk, fly, etc, so as soon as I could, I teleported to The Free Dove.  But, before I did tp to The Free Dove, I looked back over at the two other newbies who started at that time with me and they were practicing jumping over a bridge or jumping over something where there was no bridge, etc.  It could be they wanted to make sure they did everything perfectly to get the 50 L.  I passed and didn't want the 50 L.  I went to get some stuff from The Free Dove because I wanted to start making something original and not look like a newbie but I didn't know what I wanted to buy yet.  So, The Free Dove helped so much with that because making a shape and an avatar comes first, imo, before clothes and hair or anything expensive.  I want to have a beginning avatar first and take time to figure out what I want to buy.

But, as far as no one there, there were a few people when I started but they were busy going thru the steps for the newbies.  

I wish LL could reward newbies with $L 50 for completing beginner training, but if they did, people would just make a bunch of alts to get the money.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 403 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.