Where are the Lindens?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 335 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yeah, the only Lindens I've seen in-world (I'm discounting the ones here who have slapped my wrist or suspended me -- does that count as an interaction?) since 2011 or so have been at user group meetings and such.

Oh, and there are a couple I follow on Twitter.

They really don't seem get in-world very often, except perhaps on alts.

Strawberry is sort of active in-world, isn't she?

I've seen them around at big events and also chatting on some groups. This is outside of obvious work stuff and scheduled events involving them (which includes stuff that isn't meetings, like charity events and the love train thing). I've noticed though that other people are terrible at seeing them around. I said hi to one who was looking around Fantasy Faire, and when they replied, others in the area were suddenly OMG IT'S A LINDEN. Until that moment, nobody else had noticed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This prompts a few  thoughts.

I recall when Ebbe became CEO. And we found him posting / interacting on another forum. Some of us said to him, "What are you doing over here? You do know that  Second Life does have its own Forums?" And to his credit he did come over here to post.

In all my years I have only had a few interactions with Lindens, all of them favorable except with one. And I am tickled pink that he is no longer employed by LL. (And no, I am not referring to Rodvik the Horrible who I understand has just launched a new virtual world).

Another thing that may be of concern is that the Lindens will no longer be posting about Server updates in the forum. The concern here is that we may be finding out about some things after the fact. For more on this issue see Inara Pey's blog.  

I do get what Rolig said about them not wanting to become lightening rods. On the other hand it has been heartening to see some of them step in and clarify some issues that have come up in the Forums.

• Like 6

I see Lindens sometimes at Bellisseria events, most recently the opening of Bellihub, and again at the opening of the Merrymount community centre. Patch is a regular at that sort of thing, Strawberry was at one of them, Kiera and Whitney are often a regular in Bellisseria too.  I've seen more Lindens in 4 years of Bellisseria than in the previus 10 combined.

I never ask them for their bears though. It seems rude somehow.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 5/24/2023 at 1:54 AM, Alwin Alcott said:

As the title says... i really wonder where the Lindens are. 
Pulled back?

Didn't see any note or announcement they would leave the most important way to be in contact with their userbase ( next to inworld)

Do you specifically mean "where are Lindens" on the Forums? Some people are replying as if you meant "where are Lindens" in general.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Do you specifically mean "where are Lindens" on the Forums? Some people are replying as if you meant "where are Lindens" in general.

yep forums .. inworld i think have seen them once or twice in the 17 yrs that i'm here, wouldn't miss them there soon in that frequency :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

yep forums .. inworld i think have seen them once or twice in the 17 yrs that i'm here, wouldn't miss them there soon in that frequency :) 

Yes, they do seem a bit quieter here than recently, but they jump in for moderation or if the thread is "relevant to their interests", technical or plans, etc.

I hope they are just busy!

• Like 1

I don't blame them for not wanting to post here-but I still think they should do it more. I don't even want to post here most of the time-but they do get paid to do a job and communication should be part of their job like it or not. They may be lightening rods but they can still choose to react or remove-or not-anything they want here. I don't think anyone believes they should be in all posts-but they should be in way more than they are. It's a bit surprising to me that they're on 20 years of this and still around. I would've fired the lot of them by now haha. 

I think they don't spend enough-sometimes any- time inworld too. I think they're very lazy when it comes to that kind of interaction and understanding of their customer base. I don't just mean being physically present at events or user meetings-which is the only place I've ever seen any actually interact with anyone and it seems obvious they don't want to be there or are even possibly afk the whole time. I mean just being present in the platform doing things everyone else is doing so they can better understand not just the customer but the platform and how it works-or doesn't. They obviously don't understand when people complain about things-even if those people are actually wrong-which tells me they don't spend enough time inworld. There is a huge disconnect between linden employees the people and the product-we wouldn't have clients or partners if we acted similarly.  This isn't amazon or something where that kind of disconnect is almost expected. This is an interactive entire online world-their presence should be expected in all areas. But 20 years on and little has changed so I doubt it will any time  soon either. 

31 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I heard that Meta is having a memorial weekend going out of business sale,

If you ask for Customer Service regarding the sale, they only have AI's to talk with. (I'm being silly because their focus changed from the metaverse to AI.)

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If you ask for Customer Service regarding the sale, they only have AI's to talk with. (I'm being silly because their focus changed from the metaverse to AI.)

Aren't they fortunate that it came along, just in the nick of time..:P

Marky Mark: Oh crap, whut we gunna do now?! \o/

Unknown guy that works for Marky Mark: Have you heard of this thing they call A.I.?

Marky Mark: Wassat?  confused-no.gif

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Aren't they fortunate that it came along, just in the nick of time..:P

Marky Mark: Oh crap, whut we gunna do now?! \o/

Unknown guy that works for Marky Mark: Have you heard of this thing they call A.I.?

Marky Mark: Wassat?  confused-no.gif

Love Doctor Steve Brule!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caeruleiae said:

I don't blame them for not wanting to post here-

What has always struck me as odd about this forum is that it appears to be both irrelevant and a "gold mine". Irrelevant in that, compared to other social media, so few read it (or even know that it exists) and even fewer ever post. A "gold mine" because it so intensely discusses/debates/critiques the issues that any virtual world would face. As for Linden Lab, a charge of  "a failure to communicate" (by any means) seems fair.

1 hour ago, Caeruleiae said:

I would've fired the lot of them by now haha. 

I suspect that they have the opposite problem... employee retention.  Reliance on contractors (moles) likely addresses this issue.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

I suspect that they have the opposite problem... employee retention.  Reliance on contractors (moles) likely addresses this issue.

I don't know-they seem to have some employees who have been here quite a long time and yet still haven't figured out the main issue with their lack of communication and how it affects literally all of us-even those who think it doesn't. At the very least those people ought to be more vocal with ll itself about the lack of communication. I can't imagine any of them being stupid enough to not see it after all these years and countless complaints about that exact thing. I haven't even been here that long and I know they suck at communication and interaction and clearly always have.

I don't let people stay in my department if they can't do their jobs right. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Caeruleiae said:

I don't know-they seem to have some employees who have been here quite a long time

As I understand it, Linden Lab is a 20+ year old company that compensates its employees primarily with salary, as there is no market for for any equity position they may have received. Even if they were a public company, the suspected financials do not suggest big bucks. Hiring highly-skilled technology professionals might be difficult given that they have options with better long-term financial prospects.

I believe that it is very difficult to know why a company behaves as it does, particularly when it is private and answers to no one in public. For all we know, the "employees" may desire to take actions that are precluded by higher-ups, who might see things differently.

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, diamond Marchant said:

For all we know, the "employees" may desire to take actions that are precluded by higher-ups, who might see things differently.

The few times I have seen them actually address people or issues suggests this is not the case and they toe the company line which is speak no-anything. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 335 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.