Is there any thing called "Privacy Prim"?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 395 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

No, but parcels can be set to keep avatars invisible from outside and vice versa. (Done by disabling About Land / Options / "Avatars on other parcels can see and chat with avatars on this parcel" but you may already know all about it so I won't ramble on.)

A privacy prim would be a very bad idea because it would enable griefers to go undetected, so all kinds of new exploits would appear. That's one of the reasons that even that parcel privacy feature is two-way and does not block identifying information on the minimap.

It's really not the real world. Online privacy is much, much trickier, with things that may seem to increase privacy actually adding vulnerabilities.

I am thinking about the privacy prim because the parcels privacy is not really achieve ideally on those cannot divide rental island. Even has the privacy prim, we can still see other green dot on the mini map.  In fact invisible an avatar is easy by wearing alpha. And I still remember a laughable method in old day (not sure it still working) by put the avatar under certain deep under the ground. If there was invisible prim, I can save myself from watching those group making love in their boat in Sirens Isle. Or the indecent nudity  stuffs inside a house situated in parental sim (even I can complain). Even prim privacy has issues need to consider. I think parcel privacy and room area privacy has different purposes to serve.

1 hour ago, Milissa Rossini said:

If there was invisible prim, I can save myself from watching those group making love in their boat in Sirens Isle. Or the indecent nudity  stuffs inside a house situated in parental sim (even I can complain). Even prim privacy has issues need to consider. I think parcel privacy and room area privacy has different purposes to serve.

If YOU don't want to see others doing adult things, you can always turn on See Friends Only if you use Firestorm.  

• Like 9

Brainstorming a concept, I'd like the idea of a privacy prim as follows:

• It would have to be rezzed in world, on land, not worn by an avatar.
  • It would be always phantom.  And un-linkable -- always just a stand alone prim  This would allow things to be rezzed inside for decor reasons.
  • It would have some form a size constraint, and be only box or cylinder, maybe hemisphere. 
    • no cuts, dimples, twists, or anything that could make window -- subject to further brainstorming
  • it would locked, unable to move, once placed and finalized.
    • it would be able to be positioned and sized as needed on initial placement, but have to finalized for it to function.
    • there'd be a limited window to finalize, say an hour after rezzing, if it's not finalized, it auto cleans.
    • Want to reposition after finalization you have delete it and put out new one.
    • Once place and finalized it'd registered by the sim on the at that location.
  • Once registered/finalized on the sim, it would act as a mini parcel in terms of privacy. 
    • People inside would show up on the land map, radars, etc.  No way to fully hide.
    • you could not be seen/heard while inside.
    • you could not be able to see/hear anyone outside.
    • any media inside would be obscured to those outside.
    • decor items would be visible to those outside.

and I know all of this is probably unfeasible. but it can be fun to dream/brainstorm ideas sometime.  AND it'd be a good tool for houses, apartments, and even some shopping experiences (dressing/fitting rooms).   Ah well.  fun to dream.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Milissa Rossini said:

If there was invisible prim, I can save myself from watching those group making love in their boat in Sirens Isle.

Why are you looking into others' boats at all and expecting not to see people?  Is siren's isle a moderate or adult land? If it is, you can't complain.

3 hours ago, Milissa Rossini said:

Or the indecent nudity  stuffs inside a house situated in parental sim

Stop camming into people's houses and complaining about their furniture or activities. It's none of your business what they're doing inside or their furniture-whether they have privacy on or not. 

This is like walking down a road in a town and seeing a shop that has sex materials in it and complaining that it exists. No one is asking you to invade their space with your eyes-or cam in this case. So keep them where they belong and you have nothing to complain about. This isn't even a question asking about your own privacy-but wanting other people to shelter you from them. That's something you can control-not something others should control for you.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Interesting. Maybe half the request can be satisfied by reining in the Draw Distance slider.

If I'm at home, I keep my draw down as low as possible.  I'm on the ground on Horizons and I have no need to see what's outside my yard when I'm there.  If I want to ride around the neighborhood, I'll turn it up but I can honestly say, I've never "accidentally" encountered anyone engaged in adult activities on an adult region.   

• Like 5

I made a feature request to LL in the past about this

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-232854

They closed that particular request, but in recent discussions they have been more open to ideas of this nature

Probably best to express interest in it in Simulator meetings (https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=c_kphtklo9degke40dpk7nr6cclc@group.calendar.google.com)

squeaky wheel gets the grease and all that :)

Edited by Extrude Ragu
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Milissa Rossini said:

I was always thinking if there has any prim has function that enable any thing or avatar within it becoming invisible from outside, but any avatar within the prim can see outside. If we have such prim, we can really make a house, vehicle, room with real privacy like in real world.

Volumetric parcel properties is something we have wanted since the very start of SL.

• Like 3

I can see how a 'privacy prim' would be useful in one of those parcels where the apartments are all stacked on top of each other and the parcel privacy feature wouldn't work. You can't really do something like creating a large prim box and dropping it over your parcel even if it were set to phantom. It causes all sorts of issues with object selection and collision within that large prim. Perhaps something like the parcel privacy land setting but allowing a parcel owner to specify a 3d space within a parcel as private. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

It causes all sorts of issues with object selection and collision within that large prim.

What sorts of issues? I have a pretty large volume detect (or maybe phantom, I didn't script it so I'm not 100% on its internals) cube over my house that's part of a uh, RP system I use often. I've never had major issues with it, except I think it prevents sitting on unscripted prims.

Edited by Quistess Alpha
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

What sorts of issues? I have a pretty large volume detect (or maybe phantom, I didn't script it so I'm not 100% on its internals) cube over my house that's part of a uh, RP system I use often. I've never had major issues with it, except I think it prevents sitting on unscripted prims.

Yes, the sitting on prims is one thing. It's been a while since I tried living inside a phantom prim. The ideas to make a skybox made of two prims. A solid floor and then a phantom prim to live inside. I think placing furniture was a problem and the camera also kept switching to outside the prim when camming around. I think if the prim is large enough where the outside surface was far enough away from the default camera view it may not cause problems. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

The ideas to make a skybox made of two prims. A solid floor and then a phantom prim to live inside.

If you don't need collision detection scripts, you could probably solve your problems by linking them and making the 'phantom prim' physics-type: null.

35 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

cube over my house that's part of a uh, RP system I use often

Your uh, RP system sounds interesting!

I added an "inner walls cube" to one of my Linden Homes, it wasn't deleted by LL (should not have been visible from the outside).  I'm not sure if that could have been used for what we are talking about. I used a "click here" to open a slice" of the cube near the house door for entry / exit.  I think it was deleted on another home. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Milissa Rossini said:

I am thinking about the privacy prim because the parcels privacy is not really achieve ideally on those cannot divide rental island. Even has the privacy prim, we can still see other green dot on the mini map.  In fact invisible an avatar is easy by wearing alpha. And I still remember a laughable method in old day (not sure it still working) by put the avatar under certain deep under the ground. If there was invisible prim, I can save myself from watching those group making love in their boat in Sirens Isle. Or the indecent nudity  stuffs inside a house situated in parental sim (even I can complain). Even prim privacy has issues need to consider. I think parcel privacy and room area privacy has different purposes to serve

i

IMO

as long you rent land from other user , you are not really private, land owner know who,when, and what you put in your parcel.

landowner is the best stalker if they want stalk you

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist
  • Like 1

But they could still cam inside couldn't they? Without land rights or someone giving you land rights to where you can really go invisible to outside the parcel you can still be perved I would think..

I've textured the inside of prims before and could cam inside and see the textures..I pretty much had to, to texture them.. hehehe

How much more privacy can it give than four prim walls? Maybe I'm not grasping it or something.

20 hours ago, Milissa Rossini said:

If there was invisible prim, I can save myself from watching those group making love in their boat ..Or the indecent nudity  stuffs inside a house situated in parental sim 

if it's for you not desiring to seeing things ; dont look into those directions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 395 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.