Is this yellow face?

Mark Sparkle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 477 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

16 hours ago, SabrinaCooke said:

That said, what bothers me the most about the photo is the incorrect perspective. The avi's right eye is too small, taking into account the angle of the pose, and the head is much too big for the avatar's body. It's nearly the same size as her shoulders. The mouth pose is also problematic to me, but well, to each their own.

On the head to body perspective, I notice a lot of SL kimono fit this way, with narrow sloped shoulders (as normal shoulder width can make it look abnormally shoulder-padded), and very close fitting over the boobs. It can make you seem a little bobbleheaded, but that's just the style. I wear closer fitting hairstyles to compensate. Or, as this person has done, add an extra collar/scarf or a haori.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Akane Nacht said:

On the head to body perspective, I notice a lot of SL kimono fit this way, with narrow sloped shoulders (as normal shoulder width can make it look abnormally shoulder-padded), and very close fitting over the boobs. It can make you seem a little bobbleheaded, but that's just the style. I wear closer fitting hairstyles to compensate. Or, as this person has done, add an extra collar/scarf or a haori.

I haven't noticed that with my kimonos but I suppose it's a possibility. 

I think people are getting confused by real life and second life here.

In real life for example some actors have been cast in roles that were designed for a demographic that they are not a member of. In the past this was not considered a problem as actors were actors and such like. However in more enlightened times it has been pointed out that those actors of the actual demographic should be cast instead. This is a good thing as those actors are given work and the more popular actors still have work to do.

In second life you can be whatever you want to be. Your avatar is not tied to your real life physical look - unless you want it to be. If you choose to tie your real life look to your second life look you have totally no right to expect everyone else to do the same though.

I see no problem whatsoever with avatars in second life being from a different demographic as their real life controller - heck they can even be a totally different species! As long as they are not ridiculing that demographic then it is perfectly fine and is in fact what second life is for - exploration, imagination, creation and fun.

When people adopt a demographic with the sole aim to ridicule that demographic then that crosses a line.

Remember folks second life is not real life - you really can't teleport or fly all by yourself you know.

Edited by Randy Pole
  • Like 5

I more or less agree with what Randy Pole says, but I think you have to be careful when it comes to indigenous peoples, as they are often the subject of racist stereotyping and more often than not, socially and financially disadvantaged.  I would not consider having an avatar that purported to be, for example, Native American or Australian Aborigine.

I do have an alt who is Chinese in appearance, although I hardly ever use her, and I get around the "I'm not Chinese in RL" problem by saying that she has an Australian father and a Chinese mother, but had a Western upbringing.......

16 hours ago, Orwar said:

Still, it's nowhere near as jarring as when people put their SL pics through those wonky FaceApp smile filters .. There's no more effective way to ruin an SL pic.

Well, actually... I have asked our resident doom void spectre, AI generated Art, to give one of my pictures a beautiful smile. Behold, the horrors science has wrought!

Only linked because... sheesh.

https://imgur.com/a/65jjulI

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ValKalAstra said:

Well, actually... I have asked our resident doom void spectre, AI generated Art, to give one of my pictures a beautiful smile. Behold, the horrors science has wrought!

Them: "You'd be prettier if you smiled."

You: (Uncanny Valley horrific smile)

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:

Question to the OP as a creator of shapes: As a westren paled skinned redhead, am I allowed to create ethinical avatars the way I preceive them, taking in account that I try to be as realistic as possible?

You say "realistic" but most likely it´s just your perception, biases and all.  The answer is very simple, you can do whatever you want, and if you do something offensive, people will call you out on it.

• Like 3

Just an FYI...there probably has not been a drastic increase of black men joining SL to account for the overwhelming increase in black male avatars.  Females either.  

I think the increase in mesh heads and skins for the Asian avatars has had the same effect.  More options, more diversity and to me, that's a good thing regardless of who is behind the screen.  

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Just an FYI...there probably has not been a drastic increase of black men joining SL to account for the overwhelming increase in black male avatars.  Females either.  

I think the increase in mesh heads and skins for the Asian avatars has had the same effect.  More options, more diversity and to me, that's a good thing regardless of who is behind the screen.  

With the Classic avatars, they all looked a bit dollish to me.  I think the variety of mesh heads give all ethnicities more definition and contours so we can look more the way we want.  The picture below is of some Classic avi's.  People think ewwwwwwwww now but one thing I do know is that I had  a lot of fun all those years ago.  This pic below is of some classic avi's about 8 years ago and I think not well defined for any but that they are more "dolly" looking.

Screenshot (1600).png

Edited by EliseAnne85

6 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

More options, more diversity and to me, that's a good thing regardless of who is behind the screen.  

Mmm, yes and no. There are absolutely some avatars (and names/group titles) that make me roll my eyes way up into the sun and I do my best to avoid them. I can do without that kind of diversity. 😄

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Mmm, yes and no. There are absolutely some avatars (and names/group titles) that make me roll my eyes way up into the sun and I do my best to avoid them. I can do without that kind of diversity. 😄

Was coming in to say the same thing. Diversity is a fine thing, helps you gain a better understanding of the world and empathy for others. Tropes? Not so much.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ValKalAstra said:

It doesn't look bad to me,  I think I hit peak uncanny valley back in the 90s and have developed an immunity to it.  

14 hours ago, Randy Pole said:

I think people are getting confused by real life and second life here.

In real life for example some actors have been cast in roles that were designed for a demographic that they are not a member of. In the past this was not considered a problem as actors were actors and such like. However in more enlightened times it has been pointed out that those actors of the actual demographic should be cast instead. This is a good thing as those actors are given work and the more popular actors still have work to do.

In second life you can be whatever you want to be. Your avatar is not tied to your real life physical look - unless you want it to be. If you choose to tie your real life look to your second life look you have totally no right to expect everyone else to do the same though.

I see no problem whatsoever with avatars in second life being from a different demographic as their real life controller - heck they can even be a totally different species! As long as they are not ridiculing that demographic then it is perfectly fine and is in fact what second life is for - exploration, imagination, creation and fun.

When people adopt a demographic with the sole aim to ridicule that demographic then that crosses a line.

Remember folks second life is not real life - you really can't teleport or fly all by yourself you know.

Yes, I agree with everything you are saying.  I believe the term came out of Hollywood especially, although it's theatre in general, and it involved discrimination amongst other things.  

Me just continuing on about the topic in general....

From my understanding of cultural appropriation is it crosses a serious line when something sacred or symbolic that a person in that culture would have to earn would go into another culture and become just a fashion statement anyone could wear.  Thus, it takes away the meaning of that sacred symbol if it became a fashion fad and everyone was wearing it since it's not something to wear because it looks cool, it's something to wear because it was earned.  Thus, the whole context and meaning is lost through cultural appropriation.  

Edited by EliseAnne85

20 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I am certain you wrote that the thread had "run its course" a long time ago.. 

Well, to be fair, the thread was still here and still open...

I only wrote what I did because the OP thought it was cultural appropriation.  I don't believe it is that either.

I had hopes the thread would die already mostly because we are talking about someone's picture who isn't here to explain her side of the story.  It is super cringey because of that.    

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 477 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.