Is this yellow face?

Mark Sparkle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 469 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I could honestly spend hours in her flickr and actually have before,  just looking at her images and setups and just being inspired and lost..  I swear, some people are just amazing talents and make it look like there is a life being lived on the other side of the lenses.. they feel more like still images than a picture that has been set up..

Some just make me stop in my tracks and stare on in amazement whishing I could come close to being that good..

If loving that is wrong, I don't want to be right.  hehehe

• Like 6

Just now, Mark Sparkle said:

I think I should have been clearer to ask that others look at the persons other work to understand the context of what I was asking. 

Yes, the title of "Feeling oriental" is part of where I'm coming from. It implies the person was making of version of the character they normally post to their flickr. 

I understand where you're coming from now, and I agree with Lewis above on that point. I'm not fond of that title at all either, and that's honestly the thing that would make me avoid the content to begin with. Photoshopping features, well, you could have a healthy debate about how appropriate that is. But the title - nah, I'm good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Sparkle said:

As mentioned in my OP I too love this person's content.

That is actually a quote from a song, or my version of the lyrics anyways.. It was supposed to be the silly moment in my post.. hehehe

I do that sometimes when I catch myself getting carried away..

Edited by Ceka Cianci

People create avatars that are not the same ethnicity, gender, sex, orientation, even species that they are in RL. I am neither the delightful redheaded woman I appear to be in SL, nor the house cat avatar I often roam around in (and sleep on bars).

As long as it's not done in parody or with intent to malign or catfish, I don't see an issue especially if a person is honest about it if asked.

• Like 5

It's SL FFS!   This whole thread would almost be amusing if the OP weren't serious.

I have some Irish in my heritage.  Would I not be allowed to use a white skin with freckles and have red hair because I don't actually look like that in RL?  

• Like 15

12 minutes ago, Lewis Luminos said:

Does creating an image wholly in SL, with an Asian skin, head and shape, differ from creating one where the features are photoshopped in afterwards? If wearing the skin in SL is different from editing it in Photoshop, why is it different, when it leads to the same result?

Yes, I think there is a difference. Using/changing to a different Asian SL skin is not the same as using their existing white SL skin that is part of the character, they've used in all their other Flickr posts. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Examples_of_yellowface <-- thats where the term comes from. Instead of using an Asian actor, a white actor was used and they changed their appearance.

I see the point of others - I also do not feel the creator intended to be disrespectful. BUT like when others use the word "Oriental" as this creator did for their photo, the people who use that word in this context don't always mean to be disrespectful, but that doesn't mean that the result could not be received as disrespectful. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mark Sparkle said:

but that doesn't mean that the result could not be received as disrespectful

I'm sorry but if it does then that person needs to rethink life priorities. Clearly this creator of this picture is not intending "yellow face" and those that do see this or get offended by it, well they want to be offended. Change my mind.

• Like 6

The word "Oriental" being politically incorrect is another result of the "I'm offended for you" culture. And I have that from an Oriental (her own description; via Google) who says she is completely confused by it being seen as such, since all it means is 'Eastern'.

In her words (paraphrased): "Haven't we all got far more important things to be concerned with?"

Edited by Rick Daylight
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mark Sparkle said:

I see the point of others - I also do not feel the creator intended to be disrespectful. BUT like when others use the word "Oriental" as this creator did for their photo, the people who use that word in this context don't always mean to be disrespectful, but that doesn't mean that the result could not be received as disrespectful. 

I do wonder if that happens to be regional. I'm not sure where she's from, but I've noticed you'll very rarely, if at all, hear that term used in my location (might get you knocked right out, even, or worse), but I have heard it more commonly from people located elsewhere.

Not saying it's right or wrong or whatever - but sometimes words fall out of use in one area a bit faster than others.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mark Sparkle said:

Yes, I think there is a difference. Using/changing to a different Asian SL skin is not the same as using their existing white SL skin that is part of the character, they've used in all their other Flickr posts. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Examples_of_yellowface <-- thats where the term comes from. Instead of using an Asian actor, a white actor was used and they changed their appearance.

I kind of had a feeling Hollywood was involved.. hehehehe

2 hours ago, Mark Sparkle said:

📷      ᶠᵉᵉˡᶤᶰᵍ ᵒʳᶤᵉᶰᵗᵃˡ

Browsing the SL side of Flickr and seeing this made me start thinking. It's not uncommon in SL for people to make avatars that do not match their own race. The global appreciation of KPOP music has a lot of KPOP stans flocking to Mudskin to create avatars that look like their favourite KPOP idols for example. In my head I think this is fine, but then I see this post on Flickr and my brain says "thats yellowface". Then I wonder but what is it when your avatar wears a skin that does match your RL race? Are both not okay or is this flickr post different?

Just wondering out loud if you can be considered doing yellowface when everything is virtual?

PS I love the content of this Flickr user. They make fun and super realistic images that I enjoy. It's just this last post they did that made my brain thinking all these thoughts.

PPS You might need to see their other photo's on Flickr to get the context.

Why do you ask? You look kind of pale, are you feeling alright? ETA: I meant the OP, not the pic they posted.

Edited by Love Zhaoying

43 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

I'm saying it is a typical american thing to do.

It probably comes from Hollywood, same as blackface.  I'm American and never heard of it until today.  But, Hollywood did have to live down what it did wrong.  I don't believe, however, the OP in SL did the same as Hollywood because with Hollywood it was discrimination and in some way was refusing pay via segregation until Hollywood got over it.  Example of definition:

1. used to refer to the practice of wearing makeup to imitate the appearance of an East Asian person, typically as part of a performance. This practice is generally regarded as offensive.
    "that particular Chinese detective was invariably played by a white actor in yellowface"

22 minutes ago, Mark Sparkle said:

I wrote my post about Hollywood and posted the same time as you.  My response about this is in my post above.

12 minutes ago, Mark Sparkle said:

This is the vendor photo for the skin I've used for the past couple of years...

FREE XMAS GIFT <3

This is me...

profile update

Am I doing black-face?  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

It probably comes from Hollywood, same as blackface.  I'm American and never heard of it until today.  But, Hollywood did have to live down what it did wrong.  I don't believe, however, the OP in SL did the same as Hollywood because with Hollywood it was discrimination and in some way was refusing pay via segregation until Hollywood got over it.  Example of definition:

1. used to refer to the practice of wearing makeup to imitate the appearance of an East Asian person, typically as part of a performance. This practice is generally regarded as offensive.
    "that particular Chinese detective was invariably played by a white actor in yellowface"

If you ever watch old movies, you'll encounter it a lot. It's jarring, to say the least. I was thoroughly enjoying watching a film from the 60s on TCM one night and it caught me completely off-guard. It's not just the makeup, but my goodness, the acting. Big yikes. It's still a thing that happens today, but they've toned it down considerably (at least, from what I've personally seen).

But I absolutely agree with you - I don't think that's at all what's going on in the original photo, thankfully!

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

If you ever watch old movies, you'll encounter it a lot. It's jarring, to say the least.

I have seen it also, yes, whether old movies or tv shows.  It is jarring and they could have hired the correct ethnicity but oft times it was mockery as well with very bad accents if portraying a Chinese person for example.  Hollywood has managed many erroneous stereotypes as well one of which could be every Russian is evil for another example.  

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 469 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.