Is this yellow face?

Mark Sparkle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 469 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Well, to be fair, the thread was still here and still open...

I only wrote what I did because the OP thought it was cultural appropriation.  I don't believe it is that either.

I had hopes the thread would die already mostly because we are talking about someone's picture who isn't here to explain her side of the story.  It is super cringey because of that.    

I'm just here cuz I heard there was gonna be popcorn! \o/

4 hours ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Yes, I agree with everything you are saying.  I believe the term came out of Hollywood especially, although it's theatre in general, and it involved discrimination amongst other things.  

Me just continuing on about the topic in general....

From my understanding of cultural appropriation is it crosses a serious line when something sacred or symbolic that a person in that culture would have to earn would go into another culture and become just a fashion statement anyone could wear.  Thus, it takes away the meaning of that sacred symbol if it became a fashion fad and everyone was wearing it since it's not something to wear because it looks cool, it's something to wear because it was earned.  Thus, the whole context and meaning is lost through cultural appropriation.  

Someone gets it.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

5 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The thing I can't stand about this thread, besides the obvious: y'all get off topic to discuss "cultural appropriation", which is dangerously close to CRT (illegal to teach in my state), and mighty close to the topic of politics.. but that's ok?! No! Stop it!

You are doing the thing, where you inject an unnecesary topic that will definitely get the thread locked.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 469 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.