25 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Are we attacking other people's peeves now and telling them how they should react and feel?  Fun!

Peeve: Actually, it's normal. People can barely post a peeve without someone denying it, dismissing it, etc. Anyone "relatively new to the thread" would not know that.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Are we attacking other people's peeves now and telling them how they should react and feel?  Fun!

I don't think it is great but preferable to that contingent of posters that feels a need to report every post or poster they are not in agreement with.

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: my Cinnamon is sitting out in the rain..under the porch but inches from the splashes. She's a Husky, can't do much about it. She'll come inside late tonight all wet, and lay right next to me. Peeve!

After shaking a bunch of rain water from her coat all over the bed.  Then she'll want to be under the wet covers with you... unless she insists on sleeping in the middle of the bed and kicks you out.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Just now, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

After shaking a bunch of rain water from her coat all over the bed.  Then she'll want to be under the wet covers with you... unless she insists on sleeping in the middle of the bed and kicks you out.

She already got in the pool once today (after we played soccer).. she snuggles at my side, right by my head. Not usually soaking wet.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

She already got in the pool once today (after we played soccer).. she snuggles at my side, right by my head. Not usually soaking wet.

We had one Husky that loved water - the other thought it was the anti-christ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

We had one Husky that loved water - the other thought it was the anti-christ

I use "dry shampoo" (foaming liquid) on both, so I don't have to wrangle them for baths. 

Peeve: It rained all night (raining still) and the girl wanted a walk this morning (nope!).

IMG_2736.jpeg

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: When someone doesn't understand that ageism is as bad as sexism, misogyny, racism, homophobia, transphobia..(EVERYONE ages).

Ageism seems to be the only form of discrimination that is OK or even actively encouraged by people who would deplore the mistreatment of any other marginalised group.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Body-shaming, especially of overweight people, is too.

As a person who was and no longer is a fat guy, absolutely yes and it should be encouraged more. Someone else’s unhealthy coping mechanism should never be encouraged and should be discouraged as much as possible. “Oh you’re still beautiful even if you’re overweight”, no you’re not, you’re a visual indicator of your life falling apart and instead of reaching out to help, people just look at you and tell you it’s no big deal to fall apart anyway.

I have an unending resentment for a substantial amount of my family for this. I have a 7 year old cousin who weighs 160lbs, that’s just child abuse. And his parents aren’t much better, I’m probably going to watch one or both of them die of some weight related complication with their health within the next decade. And nobody batts an eye because it’s rude, shouldn’t body shame them. 
I share sympathy to people who are struggling with their body and want to improve. But I absolutely loathe the people who try to normalize it and convince others it’s ok to live miserably and die slowly.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, gwynchisholm said:

As a person who was and no longer is a fat guy, absolutely yes and it should be encouraged more. Someone else’s unhealthy coping mechanism should never be encouraged and should be discouraged as much as possible. “Oh you’re still beautiful even if you’re overweight”, no you’re not, you’re a visual indicator of your life falling apart and instead of reaching out to help, people just look at you and tell you it’s no big deal to fall apart anyway.

Shaming only works at certain times for certain people who are already thinking there might be a problem with their lifestyle and only then from some one who does so in a non personal and judgemental manner. Anything less, puts those people into a defense mode so it becomes increasingly difficult to convince them of the error of their ways.

People who are not concerned about their particular -ism don't see themselves as having a problem and as such don't think the shaming applies to them anyway because they are in a state of denialism that is pretty much impenetrable and even if they are a little concerned, often suffer from terminal uniqueness, where they feel their particular case is different from anyone else's that somehow magically makes it ok.

There are also those who accept the consequences of their particular dysfunction and are ok with it at that point in time. It is again a waste of time and energy to be concerned of such as they will continue on until they die or they suddenly have a flash of inspiration that changes the path they are on and in those cases, that comes from an internal realization and very rarely from anyone else talking them into it.

There are enough out there who see the problem and are looking for help to waste time on those who are not interested in any suggestions.

8 hours ago, gwynchisholm said:

and should be discouraged as much as possible.

In a city in England, arrogant Health Fascists bemoaned the fact that people buying Fish & Chips, put SALT & Vinegar on them.

They whined at the Local Council, who WASTED thousands of Pounds buying special "Health Fascist Approved" Takeaway Counter Salt Shakers.

These had 3 tiny holes instead of the 5-7 normal sized holes. Then then gave these away FREE to Takeaways, in the belief that customers would be TOO STUPID to notice that NO salt actually came out ( the warm moist air in a Chippie tended to cause the too-small holes to clog almost instantly with crusted salt ).

The whole scheme was a colossal waste of time effort and money. These same idiots also tried to get a ban on a takeaway selling large portions of high calorie food to out-doors manual workers for their main meal of the day, because the meals intended for people needing 3000-3500 calories a day were 1500 calorie lunches, while the smug suburban office waif Health Fascists only needed 1000-1500 calories a day so "Obviously" the meals should be banned.

Trying to discourage people from being "un-healthy" though "shaming" is worthless, and unpleasant.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, gwynchisholm said:

I have an unending resentment for a substantial amount of my family for this. I have a 7 year old cousin who weighs 160lbs, that’s just child abuse. And his parents aren’t much better, I’m probably going to watch one or both of them die of some weight related complication with their health within the next decade. And nobody batts an eye because it’s rude, shouldn’t body shame them. 
I share sympathy to people who are struggling with their body and want to improve. But I absolutely loathe the people who try to normalize it and convince others it’s ok to live miserably and die slowly.

I don't want to try and take away your peeve, as I totally comprehend and sympathize with not wanting to see family members engage in destructive behavior.

But shaming someone into a new behavior seldom (if ever) works -- in fact it's been known to make the person feel worse and even increase the bad behavior. It's much better to discuss or educate those who are damaging themselves  (when appropriate, like for the welfare of a child).

It's actually the shaming of fat people that caused the fat positivity or body positivity movements to begin with (that I think you're trying to describe here), as a defense against those who feel overweight individuals are basically a POS with no worth. Most (but not all) of those in the body positivity movement know being obese likely takes a few years off their life (they aren't denying this) but they want to show they are still good people and can even be attractive physically to some. They don't want to be judged solely by their weight and attempt to self-affirm by showing themselves in a good light as a person containing many qualities, with weight being only one aspect.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 2

Peeve: repeatedly selected for jury duty.

3 times in 10 years. I really, really do not want to do it. I never want to do it.

I hate how they repeatedly try, I have served once already and I despised it. I know it's a civic duty - I have my position on that which is not a positive one and I believe conscientious objection should apply - but it doesn't change the fact that I feel the state is punishing me. Many people never serve yet for those who do it feels like your name gets marked for a form of state harassment.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

3 times in 10 years. I really, really do not want to do it. I never want to do it.

I hate how they repeatedly tve served once already and I despised it. I know it's a civic duty - I have my position on that which is not a positive one and I believe conscientious objection should apply - but it doesn't change the fact that I feel the state is punishing me. Many people never serve yet for those who do it feels like your name gets marked for a form of state harassment.

They should tick you off the list after the first one, IMO... three is a lot 😬I don't want to make light of your peeve, but I've never been called...I'd quite like to be :) As long as it's not something boring like fraud...just one trial though, lol. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

They should tick you off the list after the first one, IMO... three is a lot 😬I don't want to make light of your peeve, but I've never been called...I'd quite like to be :) As long as it's not something boring like fraud...just one trial though, lol. 

Peeve: In the U.S., I've known "retired" people who were asked and served repeatedly on jury duty within a shore time, even though it's supposed to be "random" - and after being asked to serve once (and showing up, whether you are chosen), you aren't supposed to be asked again for awhile (up to 2 years depending on the jurisdiction, I believe).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

I hate how they repeatedly try, I have served once already and I despised it. I know it's a civic duty - I have my position on that which is not a positive one and I believe conscientious objection should apply - but it doesn't change the fact that I feel the state is punishing me. Many people never serve yet for those who do it feels like your name gets marked for a form of state harassment.

If they required employers to give paid time off, it might not be such a hardship for people.  My state pays you $10/day which doesn't even pay for lunch.  I served years ago when I didn't have bills to pay.  I sat on 2 juries and I found it fascinating.  I just couldn't afford to do it once I was married and had a family to help support.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, gwynchisholm said:

Good for you! Becoming a no longer fat guy is an accomplishment and I'm sure it wasn't easy for you.  But I'm sure you remember how it felt to be made to feel shame because of your appearance.  Did any of that constant shaming inspire or help you to change? As a formerly fat person myself, I know the answer to that.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

We've had a pretty interesting fraud trial here in the US recently. Unfortunately it wasn't a jury trial though.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

I think if you commit a crime you'll no longer be asked ;) One way of getting out of it.

• Haha 3