3 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Peeve: RL too busy.  No time to login inworld yesterday or today.  

Bonus peeve: Counting (don't ask)

Extra Bonus Peeve: DEA regulations around controlled drugs. Paperwork! Ugh.

Major Peeve: You having to do what you're doing

Bonus Peeve, as if I'm not already peeved enough:  You not having the time to login because you have to do things that peeve you.

Care for a Keurig?

Edited by Bagnu

On 8/1/2023 at 6:28 PM, Marigold Devin said:

Let's just keep adding more peeves then, get back on track.

Peeve: That I logged into Second Life earlier, went to Calleta, and the poster board I was looking for is no longer there, and I have spent ages trying to find a photo of it (which I am sure I do have somewhere among my USB flash drive and DVD stored stuff). 

Peeve: That I can never find something I am looking for, and then I find it when I am looking for something else. This is that poster board I was looking for at Calleta!

(photo was in an email folder entitled "Second Life"! duh)

will the last bot 2008.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Peeve: That I can never find something I am looking for, and then I find it when I am looking for something else. This is that poster board I was looking for at Calleta!

(photo was in an email folder entitled "Second Life"! duh)

will the last bot 2008.jpg

I hope this never happens though!!!

• Like 1

• Moles
5 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

So basically, once the thread becomes a burden to the server due to its enormous size, that will be the end of it. 

No one really listens and no one cares about the damage done. I never should have gotten comfortable in the only place I have to communicate with others. Story of my life. I've never believed in fate before but now I am starting to wonder if it isn't my fate to be alone and without any meaningful human contact for life.

Crap. What a waste.

The Linden Lab Official:Forum Participation Guidelines say

No Discussions Not Directly Related to Second Life: Please keep all threads relevant and directly related to Second Life and Linden Lab. Anything unrelated to Second Life is subject to moderation. This includes, but is not limited to, politics, social issues, current events, and Non-SL discussion posts (Examples such as tell me a joke, make me laugh, etc). If the thread could exist on a non-Second Life Forum, that is probably a good sign it doesn’t belong here.

Note: Posts made before 7/29/2022 will be left open unless policy violations cause them to be closed.

I have no idea what will happen if "the thread becomes a burden to the server due to its enormous size," or when , or even if, that is likely to be an issue.

What I do know, and what Dyna and I are both doing our best to make sure doesn't happen, is that if grandfathered threads, like this one, get closed down for policy violations, it won't be possible to reopen them    That's what worries me.  

What happens if the thread becomes so large it gives the server indigestion is another question, and one to which we haven't been given an answer, but I'd like to think that the thread will survive long enough for that to become a real rather than an hypothetical question.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

2 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

I have no idea what will happen if "the thread becomes a burden to the server due to its enormous size," or when , or even if, that is likely to be an issue

You can ask Cristiano Midnight about it. It's one of the reasons SLU is now VVO with a software change to XenForo from Invision.

As for everything else, thank you. You two are doing a really good job. I also worry new grandfathered threads won't be allowed which would completely ruin it for many.

I know what the guidelines say. Still doesn't make it the right thing to do. But that's not on you or Dyna.

tumblr_inline_nphhwtzC3W1sl9rcj_400.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

So basically, once the thread becomes a burden to the server due to its enormous size, that will be the end of it. 

I'm no website engineer or such, but I don't think any given post won't have a whole lot of data in it. I don't know what the average length of a post is, but for simplicity's sake let's make a wild guess and say it's around 200. You've got 25 posts per page, that's 5 kilobytes per page, that's 200 pages per megabyte, or 200,000 pages to fill a gigabyte. Then we've got pictures and stuff, but those don't seem to be in the post itself, but are uploaded to your forum profile and then referenced by the forum interface when included in a post (and your uploads are limited, can't remember to how much as I don't use that feature), if you delete the image upload in your profile any posts containing it is gone, and if you host your image elsewhere and embed a link the data the forums need to keep track of is merely a few bytes for the URL.

Then there's all the formatting and stuff, which probably makes things a little heavier - but I wouldn't expect it'd be a whole lot.

From what little I remember of earlier Internet forums, formatting was also just a small amount of text, such as [URL]text[/URL.] (without the dot), it's just an extra 11 characters to let the interface know that this is a clickable hyperlink, or [IMG] to embed an image from an outside source, and similar commands to change fonts or text size or alignment, etc. 

So I don't expect we have to worry about breaking anything just by talking too much!

.. As long as it isn't about politics or religion, that is. Nodnods.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I never should have gotten comfortable in the only place I have to communicate with others. Story of my life. I've never believed in fate before but now I am starting to wonder if it isn't my fate to be alone and without any meaningful human contact for life.

Crap. What a waste.

Sorry, but I have to say this. You're here in the forums BECAUSE you have an inworld account. This is a public forum. There is no way you can have the level of interaction here that you can have inworld.  Being in the forums is NOT true interaction.  Sometimes fate can rob people of things in RL,  but SL gives the opportunity to have control over those fates. To do what we want. To experience what we need. There is no need for you to be alone if this thread or the forums get closed. All you have to do is open your viewer and login. It's only a waste if you ALLOW it to be. 

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Orwar said:

I'm no website engineer or such, but I don't think any given post won't have a whole lot of data in it. I don't know what the average length of a post is, but for simplicity's sake let's make a wild guess and say it's around 200. You've got 25 posts per page, that's 5 kilobytes per page, that's 200 pages per megabyte, or 200,000 pages to fill a gigabyte. Then we've got pictures and stuff, but those don't seem to be in the post itself, but are uploaded to your forum profile and then referenced by the forum interface when included in a post (and your uploads are limited, can't remember to how much as I don't use that feature), if you delete the image upload in your profile any posts containing it is gone, and if you host your image elsewhere and embed a link the data the forums need to keep track of is merely a few bytes for the URL.

Then there's all the formatting and stuff, which probably makes things a little heavier - but I wouldn't expect it'd be a whole lot.

From what little I remember of earlier Internet forums, formatting was also just a small amount of text, such as [URL]text[/URL.] (without the dot), it's just an extra 11 characters to let the interface know that this is a clickable hyperlink, or [IMG] to embed an image from an outside source, and similar commands to change fonts or text size or alignment, etc. 

So I don't expect we have to worry about breaking anything just by talking too much!

.. As long as it isn't about politics or religion, that is. Nodnods.

SLU didn't think they had to worry about talking too much or posting too many images. Then it hit the fan and there was no bringing SLU back up after somewhere around 15 years. This particular iteration of the SL forum isn't nearly that old yet. Time will tell.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bagnu said:

Sorry, but I have to say this. You're here in the forums BECAUSE you have an inworld account. This is a public forum. There is no way you can have the level of interaction here that you can have inworld.  Being in the forums is NOT true interaction.  Sometimes fate can rob people of things in RL,  but SL gives the opportunity to have control over those fates. To do what we want. To experience what we need. There is no need for you to be alone if this thread or the forums get closed. All you have to do is open your viewer and login. It's only a waste if you ALLOW it to be. 

I'm here in the forums BECAUSE I don't have any INWORLD FRIENDS. The reason for that is because I got fed up with having to put all the work into the friendships. 

Go mansplain your BS to someone else. All you've done is prove you know nothing about me or my situation.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bagnu said:

Peeve:  People that think their way of viewing the world works for everyone else.

There are many of us with social anxiety and other issues.  I interact with people here on the Forums far more than I do with anyone inworld.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Peeve:  People that think their way of viewing the world works for everyone else.

There are many of us with social anxiety and other issues.  I interact with people here on the Forums far more than I do with anyone inworld.

My question is though, why be in an SL forum if a person has no desire to actually BE inworld. Why not join another forum where the forum is the only part of the equation? How can anyone actually comment on anything SL related, if this forum is their only means of interaction?  

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I'm here in the forums BECAUSE I don't have any INWORLD FRIENDS. The reason for that is because I got fed up with having to put all the work into the friendships. 

Go mansplain your BS to someone else. All you've done is prove you know nothing about me or my situation.

I don't know anything about you or your situation. How could I? You're only here on the forums.

• Confused 4

37 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I interact in the forums as well as inworld and behave/express myself exactly the same.  Also, if I don't like you here, I'm pretty sure I'll not like you inworld either.  I've chatted with a few folks inworld from the forum and found them to be the same there as here.

Unless you see the forums as some sort of roleplay, this would seem to be the place to meet the 'real' you.  Especially for those who see inworld as all some RP thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bagnu said:

My question is though, why be in an SL forum if a person has no desire to actually BE inworld. Why not join another forum where the forum is the only part of the equation? How can anyone actually comment on anything SL related, if this forum is their only means of interaction? 

There can be any number of reasons. People bring very different experiences here and they have very different histories with SL. I think it's presumptuous to decide that any resident's personal appreciation of SL disqualifies them from being part of the forum conversation or makes them less worthy of respect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Bagnu said:

I never said I didn't want to be in SL.  My comment was specifically about interacting with people - go back and reread it and stop making assumptions. 

Inworld is not a social thing for me.  I explore; I build; I shop; Sometimes I attend events and sometimes I do get together with some friends - almost all of which are from my early SL days.  I just happen to interact directly with people here in the forums more than I do inworld theses days.

None of that means that I begrudge anyone else's SL interactions.  We all get different things from SL and I am wise enough to understand that and not try to put my view of the world onto others.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I never said I didn't want to be in SL.  My comment was specifically about interacting with people - go back and reread it and stop making assumptions. 

Inworld is not a social thing for me.  I explore; I build; I shop; Sometimes I attend events and sometimes I do get together with some friends - almost all of which are from my early SL days.  I just happen to interact directly with people here in the forums more than I do inworld theses days.

None of that means that I begrudge anyone else's SL interactions.  We all get different things from SL and I am wise enough to understand that and not try to put my view of the world onto others.

One has to have an inkling of the other's view first though. To me, this forum is an addon to my inworld life.  Apparently not everyone feels this way. Which is something I did not know until now.  I can't understand it, but I DO accept it.

Edited by Bagnu
grammar correction
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

There can be any number of reasons. People bring very different experiences here and they have very different histories with SL. I think it's presumptuous to decide that any resident's personal appreciation of SL disqualifies them from being part of the forum conversation or makes them less worthy of respect.

My point is, they should actually HAVE a history, and have an inworld life. I can't comment on relationships in another country, because I don't live there, or are a part of the culture.

• Sad 1