3 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

If Chrome doesn't "shut down properly" it has a restore option when you start it up. It should also have an "are you sure you want to close all other tabs?" or "are you sure you want to close all tabs to the right?" pop-up in the right click a tab menu 

What part of "power goes out" (as in all the electricity in your house shuts off when a transformer blows) didn't make sense?

Or were you just filling in info I didn't bother with because most people get pissy when I do?

On 6/16/2023 at 5:23 PM, Marigold Devin said:

Peeve: I know it's nature and all of that, but I do wish Sparrow Hawks would hunt elsewhere and not my brother's back garden where I have lots of fledgeling birds of different species visiting with established parent birds every day because I have some feeders dotted around the garden for him to watch from the windows. 

I don't know if this is any help? 

https://birdwatchinghq.com/how-to-keep-hawks-away-from-bird-feeders/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:
On 6/16/2023 at 12:23 PM, Marigold Devin said:

Peeve: I know it's nature and all of that, but I do wish Sparrow Hawks would hunt elsewhere and not my brother's back garden where I have lots of fledgeling birds of different species visiting with established parent birds every day because I have some feeders dotted around the garden for him to watch from the windows. 

I don't know if this is any help? 

https://birdwatchinghq.com/how-to-keep-hawks-away-from-bird-feeders/

So, the hymn "His Eye is On the Sparrow" - is about a Sparrow Hawk!!!

37828E4B-F996-4A49-803B-1702EFB214CD.jpeg.63370058ffb2eb9727c7b7f5830f9ada.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Yes, very much so, thank you. I cannot bring myself to take the feeders away but have some harder-to-get-to food containers, and am considering getting or making some kind of basket to put over the ground area ones, and then if I do see a hawk (inevitably) sitting on the top of the basket, I can nip out and the hawk will go before the little birds that I've built up trust with. The robins, dunnocks, and blackbirds all come very close to me and will come for food when I am in the garden, and the sparrow hawks keep their distance when I am around (a living scarecrow I seem to be!). 

I know it's nature, and at least for them to be caught by a hawk is preferable to a well-fed domestic cat just doing it for the "sport". One of my brother's neighbours gave me a body count of six mice that their cat took to their bed bound mother one day last year. (Well, half a body really as the cat was apparently eating the top half and dumping the bottom half complete with tail on mother's bed!). On the plus, the cat was attempting to feed the poorly mother by taking her such gifts I expect, and that is kind of sweet. Kind of. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

So, the hymn "His Eye is On the Sparrow" - is about a Sparrow Hawk!!!

37828E4B-F996-4A49-803B-1702EFB214CD.jpeg.63370058ffb2eb9727c7b7f5830f9ada.jpeg

It would probably make more sense if it was about a hawk, but it appears to be about God protecting all of us.

I don't believe in God (I know, controversial), but I do believe in an entity, a Power That Is Bigger Than All of Us, good and evil (as we humans think of good and evil at any rate), pulling and pushing and testing us all, urging the weak to become stronger by encountering and enduring such times.

Edited by Marigold Devin
Wow that was a bit "deep"
  • Like 1

Peeve: Facebook seem to have done a u-turn and will allow Second Life users and people with totally made up names to create and run accounts. (They've seen the value of alts obviously, and it will boost their user figures, but what a can of worms to open.)

Facebook.jpg

Edited by Marigold Devin
Because I felt like it.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Peeve: Facebook seem to have done a u-turn and will allow Second Life users and people with totally made up names to create and run accounts. (They've seen the value of alts obviously, and it will boost their user figures, but what a can of worms to open.)

Interesting.  I have never used FB for anything except to play Lexulos with a good friend. The account has always had a fictitious name and FB has never bothered me all these years.  Now I guess I it doesn't matter.  🙃

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

What part of "power goes out" (as in all the electricity in your house shuts off when a transformer blows) didn't make sense?

Or were you just filling in info I didn't bother with because most people get pissy when I do?

😮Chrome "Not shutting down properly" isn't exclusive to power outages. It comes up all the time after system updates or turning on the laptop/computer and it decides you didn't put it into hibernate mode after all. Less peevesome than clicking the wrong menu option by mistake 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

😮Chrome "Not shutting down properly" isn't exclusive to power outages. It comes up all the time after system updates or turning on the laptop/computer and it decides you didn't put it into hibernate mode after all. Less peevesome than clicking the wrong menu option by mistake 

lmao 🤣 Like I haven't known all that for decades.

I didn't say I clicked the wrong thing, I said I had to go looking for it after the popup goes away because I was a bit slow in reacting.

You seem to be under the impression I need help/am asking for help. I don't and I'm not. Thank you though.

1 hour ago, Marigold Devin said:

It would probably make more sense if it was about a hawk, but it appears to be about God protecting all of us.

I don't believe in God (I know, controversial), but I do believe in an entity, a Power That Is Bigger Than All of Us, good and evil (as we humans think of good and evil at any rate), pulling and pushing and testing us all, urging the weak to become stronger by encountering and enduring such times.  

I was using "irony"; making a "joke".  The "joke" part is, "God is the Hawk", and WE are the "Sparrow" (being hunted by God).

However, I would not classify it as "sarcasm".

Your interpretation is the (obviously) correct one.

Just to clarify. 🙂

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 1:03 PM, Marigold Devin said:

Who carries a red pen around with them?!!

Back in my programming days, I always had one.  I did code reviews using a red pen because it stood out on that white & green bar paper (that sure dates me). 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

A red pen is a standard equipment for teachers.
I still have several laying around at home, although retired/unemployed.

I saw a psychology video once that said using a red pen makes teachers more likely to leave negative marks than if they were holding a blue or black pen 😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

I saw a psychology video once that said using a red pen makes teachers more likely to leave negative marks than if they were holding a blue or black pen 😬

I don't know. A red pen is common practice over here for grading.
One can easily oversee where what was missing in a paper or a test.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I don't know. A red pen is common practice over here for grading.
One can easily oversee where what was missing in a paper or a test.

It's been the same in the US, too.  With most teachers requiring blue or black ink (back when using pen and paper was a thing🙄) or pencil, the correction marks were easier to see obviously.  Even today, with assignments being printed out, red will still stand out.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

I was told that writing in green ink/Biro is something one shouldn't ever do because it's unusual, not formal and even a little bit weird.  So why do green pens even exist?!  

the green-ink brigade

(chiefly Britain) Collectively, those people who write letters to newspaper editors, politicians, etc., expressing eccentric views; the letters are often stereotyped as being lengthy, handwritten in green ink, and characterized by the frequent use of capital letters and underlining.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Red ink is normally associated with "I should have studied for that".

A maths teacher a lot of us were terrified at school once wrote

" D     

NO! SEE ME!!! "

in the most scary handwriting, that I could actually hear his voice BOOMING as I opened my exercise book. 

Shame it had to be handwritten. If it had been typed in a nicer font then I imagine I would have tried harder instead of virtually pooing my pants.

" D     

NO! SEE ME!!! "

34 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

I was told as a child that writing in green ink/Biro is something one shouldn't ever do because it's unusual, not formal and even a little bit weird.

If that's true, then why do green pens even exist?!  🤔

I use a green pen when checking my bank statement against my cheque book to tick things off, or for solving crosswords, but I was told the same as you, that it was a bit weird to ever write in green, and if ever anyone was to write a letter in green to me then I must RUN, as fast and as far away as possible in the other direction!!!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1