• Moles

Hi, team. In the interest of keeping within the spirit of this impressively long thread, I have just hidden a handful of posts that were starting to get testy. Remember this guideline, which has not changed:

No Flaming: "Flames" are hostile or disruptive posts, or messages intended to incite an angry response. Spirited discussion and constructive disagreement are welcome, but name-calling and airing of grievances are not appropriate in our discussion areas. 

Please try to to maintain an atmosphere of courtesy and respect for others at all times, and do your best to avoid posts that are designed to annoy other people.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I've been trying to remember the olden times word for helicopter. Maddy, you should know..please, what is it? Something quaint, but it slips my mind. 

ETA: Gyro! I had read it in reprints of the "Complete Buck Rogers" as a kid.

Aha! I was thinking there's 'copter, of course, chopper, egg beater, helo, whirly-bird... and gyro totally didn't come into play. :)

• Like 2

Not a peeve, but an observation:

My laptop keys stopped and started working again for no apparent reason. My router went down and then started working again around the same time. For these 2 things to happen at the same time may be unrelated.

And yet, I wonder if I might give off some kind of weird electromagnetic aura that screws up stuff when I'm upset?

There was a period of at least a month in my life when I was working at a job I hated, when I would sometimes walk into rooms with a remote controlled TV, and the TV would turn itself on. This happened in 2 different houses, 4 different TV sets. Sometimes I turned them off and they came right back on. 

I never did figure out what caused that. It's one of those things that I just had to put into my unexplained event box in my mind (like Ceka's weird lightning strike).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

My laptop keys stopped and started working again for no apparent reason. My router went down and then started working again around the same time. For these 2 things to happen at the same time may be unrelated.

And yet, I wonder if I might give off some kind of weird electromagnetic aura that screws up stuff when I'm upset?

There was a period of at least a month in my life when I was working at a job I hated, when I would sometimes walk into rooms with a remote controlled TV, and the TV would turn itself on. This happened in 2 different houses, 4 different TV sets. Sometimes I turned them off and they came right back on. 

I never did figure out what caused that. It's one of those things that I just had to put into my unexplained event box in my mind (like Ceka's weird lightning strike).

Quit peeving off your poltergeist. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Have you tried wrapping your head in "tinfoil" to protect the electronic equipment in your immediate vicinity? I think it would also help prevent unwanted in-person social interactions.

• Haha 4

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Have you tried wrapping your head in "tinfoil" to protect the electronic equipment in your immediate vicinity? I think it would also help prevent unwanted in-person social interactions.

If only this would help with unwanted social interaction with my landlady.  lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Buy a large aquarium! Large walls of water are very good at disrupting or blocking wi-fi radio signals!

If you have a poor wi-fi signal, try searching for a "hidden" aquarium in the immediate vicinity of your wi-fi router, so that you may either drain or move the aquarium elsewhere!

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I've been trying to remember the olden times word for helicopter. Maddy, you should know..please, what is it? Something quaint, but it slips my mind. 

ETA: Gyro! I had read it in reprints of the "Complete Buck Rogers" as a kid.

Autogyros (sometimes called gyrocopters) don't need torque compensation as there's no torque applied to the rotor by the motor. They'll still have two rotary wings, as the motor provides propulsion through a propeller. One of my favorite childhood kites was a tiny gyrocopter. It was a fiddly thing, but when the winds were right, it was great fun to watch. And, and, and, it had only one rotary wing!

Tip-jet helicopters need no tail rotor, but jets still have fans. Rocket On Rotor helicopters would satisfy the one rotary wing requirement. My childhood attempts at flying Catherine Wheel fireworks did nothing to contribute to the goal of one rotary wing.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Buy a large aquarium! Large walls of water are very good at disrupting or blocking wi-fi radio signals!

If you have a poor wi-fi signal, try searching for a "hidden" aquarium in the immediate vicinity of your wi-fi router, so that you may either drain or move it elsewhere!

People are 50-60% water. If I can't find an aquarium, should I drain my housemates?

• Haha 6

I think @Arielle Popstar gives great advice! I think you're too hard on yourself @Silent Mistwalker. Almost all of us on the forums are just typing on our own at our PCs IRL, anyway! I don't always feel part of the community, especially compared to people who have been on the forums for 10 years. I think even the popular people must feel disconnected sometimes...

Peeve: when people request a paper receipt from the ATM then just throw it on the floor without looking at it :S

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Aha! I was thinking there's 'copter, of course, chopper, egg beater, helo, whirly-bird... and gyro totally didn't come into play. :)

Pet peeve: people who try to fly in gyros rather than filling them with sliced beef and lamb, tomatoes, onion, and heavenly tzatziki,  and then eating them.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Peeve: when people request a paper receipt from the ATM then just throw it on the floor without looking at it :S

Perhaps they assume the cash machine also dispenses convienient reciept-sized paper towels to cleanse hands with after touching dirty or inky banknotes?

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

It looks like several people could use this. Glad I saved this gif, it is getting a workout.

aruuu-group-hug.gif

This is nice and all, but don't touch me.

I may be channeling Maddy here, but hugging and hand holding?  Just no.  I don't cuddle.

I'll wish everyone well from over here in this dark corner with my lips peeled back and snapping my teeth at the air.

Just take this 4-liter bucket of ice cream and these spoons and eat until you all feel better.  Oh, and I found some Magic Shell to put on top...  and this cherry.  You will all have to fight over the cherry.  I only have one.  I checked my inventory and it's not copy - only transfer.

/me re-reads what he wrote about a cherry, decides too many people have dirty minds, and takes her cherry back.  She rechecks her inventory and finds a box of old, hard, shriveled up raisins and tosses that into an ice cream bowl instead.

Enjoy.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I may be channeling Maddy here, but hugging and hand holding?  Just no.  I don't cuddle.

I'll wish everyone well from over here in this dark corner with my lips peeled back and snapping my teeth at the air.

Just take this 4-liter bucket of ice cream and these spoons and eat until you all feel better.  Oh, and I found some Magic Shell to put on top...  and this cherry.  You will all have to fight over the cherry.  I only have one.  I checked my inventory and it's not copy - only transfer.

/me re-reads what he wrote about a cherry, decides too many people have dirty minds, and takes her cherry back.  She rechecks her inventory and finds a box of old, hard, shriveled up raisins and tosses that into an ice cream bowl instead.

Enjoy.

I'm with you.  I'll take a hug from immediate family but anyone else?  A 2 handed handshake is about as far as I'll go.

*tosses some M&MS into the bowl and runs away

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Enjoy.

Oh the things I do for this forum stuff. I had to go back pages and pages to filch this off Rowan.

ETA: see also: Rowan

Buzz-Kill.jpg.9383806c806216b1216df8e9e396e214.jpg

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Haha 2