1 minute ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Maybe have it sent to someone you trust that can then forward it to you?

American churches LOVE these things. They have a justified rep for being so simple to use that your average "volunteer from the congregation with a little audio mixing experience" can use 'em well (albeit without using their advanced capabilities to the full). Any that come on the second-hand market over there are just gone long before I get to see the listing. The pickings might be a little richer in Europe (particularly since it's closer to Allen & Heath's base in the UK) but even if they were, the Tories spitting out their pacifier and cutting us off from the rest of the world in a fit of pique means getting one I bought over there into the UK comes with significant hassle and expense.

The bottom line, though, is that anyone who has one doesn't want to sell it until it's been worked to death and they are looking to recover any remaining value to help with buying its replacement. The bulk of the second-hand listings I've seen for them have been production companies selling off their old equipment when they buy new gear, not individual musicians. I've nothing against the secondary market for most gear but I will not risk buying used gear from a production company. They wont replace gear until its at death's door and that's NOT the kit I'd want to buy.

58 minutes ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

Thanks for the tip Love, I’ve just had a look and it looks fantastic. The only other stuff I’d waste my money on other than horse tack lol 😆 

Hopefully they don’t ship to Ireland! 💸💸💸😂

Don't go to modulargrid.net, that's what pointed me to Reverb!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

You had it right the first time.

Your profile photo was my hint.

My emergency backup kid plays violin and has a home recording studio. He loves knobs and lusts after vintage Neve gear. He has a couple channels from old consoles and brings everything into his Mac on old Digidesign interfaces. He once had a Behringer X32, which apparently looked cooler than it worked, or sounded.

Good luck upgrading your studio!

58 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

American churches LOVE these things. They have a justified rep for being so simple to use that your average "volunteer from the congregation with a little audio mixing experience" can use 'em well (albeit without using their advanced capabilities to the full). Any that come on the second-hand market over there are just gone long before I get to see the listing. The pickings might be a little richer in Europe (particularly since it's closer to Allen & Heath's base in the UK) but even if they were, the Tories spitting out their pacifier and cutting us off from the rest of the world in a fit of pique means getting one I bought over there into the UK comes with significant hassle and expense.

The bottom line, though, is that anyone who has one doesn't want to sell it until it's been worked to death and they are looking to recover any remaining value to help with buying its replacement. The bulk of the second-hand listings I've seen for them have been production companies selling off their old equipment when they buy new gear, not individual musicians. I've nothing against the secondary market for most gear but I will not risk buying used gear from a production company. They wont replace gear until its at death's door and that's NOT the kit I'd want to buy.

Um... I meant order it but use an address that the company can ship to without robbing you blind and have someone you trust (if you know anyone) pick the package up and forward it on to you. Unless things have made a rapid recent change, it should be a lot cheaper to have it shipped to someone in the country of origin (or closer) and then have them ship it on to you. You still pay the shipping; they just do a little legwork for you. Any compensation for the legwork would be between you and them.

I mean, forwarding packages overseas for friends, co-workers, etc isn't anything new.

10 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Um... I meant order it but use an address that the company can ship to without robbing you blind and have someone you trust (if you know anyone) pick the package up and forward it on to you. Unless things have made a rapid recent change, it should be a lot cheaper to have it shipped to someone in the country of origin (or closer) and then have them ship it on to you. You still pay the shipping; they just do a little legwork for you. Any compensation for the legwork would be between you and them.

I mean, forwarding packages overseas for friends, co-workers, etc isn't anything new.

I'm IN the country of origin - at least, where the company that makes them has its HQ. I know a lot of the manufacturing is overseas, but technically it's the product of a domestic company.

They have just had supply bottlenecks, particularly in the digital lines, due to chip shortages etc. Which I understand, but it's still a peeve when it's gnawing on MY ass :P

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

I'm IN the country of origin - at least, where the company that makes them has its HQ. I know a lot of the manufacturing is overseas, but technically it's the product of a domestic company.

They have just had supply bottlenecks, particularly in the digital lines, due to chip shortages etc. Which I understand, but it's still a peeve when it's gnawing on MY ass :P

Ah. I see. The old supply shortage gambit. Gotcha. 😉

🤣

I have no clue where I got the idea it was a company outside of... yeah, there. 🤭

16 minutes ago, Maryanne Solo said:

My 16ch Mackies sit idle these days.
Made way for: MOTU DP11
Next up is a Line 6 Variax. (Studio recording only).
https://line6.com/variax-modeling-guitars/

I know it sounds Luddite of me, but I'm trying to avoid using a DAW at all costs (in fact, too high a cost). 

So far, bought a few physical modules that want a USB host but am using other modules that act as the host instead of a PC.

I know this is sheer madness, but everyone needs a hobby..

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I know it sounds Luddite of me, but I'm trying to avoid using a DAW at all costs (in fact, too high a cost). 

So far, bought a few physical modules that want a USB host but am using other modules that act as the host instead of a PC.

I know this is sheer madness, but everyone needs a hobby..

I'm not quite that bad, I do use a DAW - reaper - and I'll freely admit that one of the things attracting me to the Qu-16 is that it can be an industry-standard DAW-controller when hooked into the computer as well as providing a true 16-channel fully configurable and repatchable interface.

My "holy grail" is simply this - If I'm playing live IRL or streaming I want to be able to send to the stream exactly what I'd send to FOH in the RL venue. If I'm recording I want that live sound recorded too along with a prefade dry channel and the left/right FX returns separately, and I want the sound coming back at me through my monitors to be same in all three situations, so I play the pieces "the same, within reason and artists mood" in all three. I'll take "using a bit more gear than I should need" (given the capabilities of even the most basic DAW) if I can plonk the SAME gear down in ANY of the three scenarios and have it work the same way for me as a performer while being able to stream or record in a way that is completely true to my RL live sound but that doesn't close any doors to me if I do want to do some work on it in post.. If I need to take a laptop running my DAW to a live set I'm doing something wrong. Similarly if I have to mess with anything but the levels in the DAW to record my live sound cleanly in my studio space I'm doing something equally foolish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:

The TV in my living room has died.  RIP good friend!

My Peeve #056 would be trying to buy a dumb TV to replace a dead TV. Those are hard to come by.  Last TV I got is actually a NEC commercial monitor like ones used at my bar. Still has a remote to switch inputs like between the cable box and the DVD player.

2 hours ago, Maryanne Solo said:

My 16ch Mackies sit idle these days.
Made way for: MOTU DP11
Next up is a Line 6 Variax. (Studio recording only).
https://line6.com/variax-modeling-guitars/

If/when you get one, I'd actually be really interested to know if the variax setups have anything that can sound even "acceptably close" to a physical 12-string.

I confess in advance that I'm a total 12-string addict and am likely to be hypercritical of any such sound. The times in my life when Ive been only able to afford to keep one guitar it's almost always been a 12-string and - being a complete klutz with a flat pick - 12-string fingerstyle has always been "my thing". The only reason the 12s dont feature as prominently in my streams as they should is that I've been running into "gear limitations" (and, gotta admit, deficiencies in audio engineering chops) getting a GOOD 12-string sound onto the wires. Limitations (and deficiencies) I should soon be able to address. I'm seriously looking fwd to it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been without a TV for nearly 6 weeks.  It took 3 weeks to get someone out to my area of the mountain to try to fix it.  Then 3 more weeks to have a new one delivered when it wasn't fixable.  It'll arrive on Monday.  I thought I would miss it more.  The local company that was providing cable TV to the mountain decided we weren't worth the cost and dumped us all a year ago, so we only had streaming and satellite anyway.  I've watched a few movies on my phone, but that's it for passive entertainment.

My much loved radio has gotten a workout, but the quiet of a house in the woods without the constant sound of background television noise has been nice.  

I still don't want to live in a city or a suburb.

/me shuffles out to the deck with my coffee before it gets too hot to chat with the birds and toss catfood to the possum that lives under the house...  TV is overrated.

• Like 3

I'm like you, @Cinnamon Mistwood. My TV died in about 2014. I can't get decent broadcast signals here, so I was watching mostly cable. Then I figured, why waste money on cable when I have to have internet for the computer anyway, so I dropped the cable too. Since then, when I watch anything it's on my desktop or on a big dumb screen fed by my laptop. Most of the time, I listen to radio. TV is indeed overrated.  I don't miss it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I've been without a TV for nearly 6 weeks.  It took 3 weeks to get someone out to my area of the mountain to try to fix it.  Then 3 more weeks to have a new one delivered when it wasn't fixable.  It'll arrive on Monday.  I thought I would miss it more.  The local company that was providing cable TV to the mountain decided we weren't worth the cost and dumped us all a year ago, so we only had streaming and satellite anyway.  I've watched a few movies on my phone, but that's it for passive entertainment.

My much loved radio has gotten a workout, but the quiet of a house in the woods without the constant sound of background television noise has been nice.  

I still don't want to live in a city or a suburb.

/me shuffles out to the deck with my coffee before it gets too hot to chat with the birds and toss catfood to the possum that lives under the house...  TV is overrated.

I've gone a few years before, on purpose (shut off cable, and it was before "streaming").

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

They just killed it. I'm out.

Peeve: Will miss you.

Also a peeve: I'm pretty sure some people will stick around so they can complain when the "new" moderation doesn't seem to be "fairly administered", despite the very specific language: "We moderate at our discretion" (from this link: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Forum_Participation_Guidelines).  

• Like 2

I think higher ups were looking at the board and mentioned to one of the admins to put that statement there. One suggestion would be for an "Off-Topic" section where non-SL related stuff can put there.

This peeve thread I noticed is a combo of SL and non-SL peeves like from broken TVs to your in world SL car that won't stay on the road ending stuck at ban-lines.

Edited by Kimmi Zehetbauer
Brain cell #127 not following guidelines.
  • Like 3